2008 Season Uniform Changes

Blue Devils' white plumes were for visual effect, i.e. when they ran, and when they did the head bobbing thing. Black plumes would not have had nearly the same impact. I didn't get the skirts... ahem... waist-cape.

The Scouts' uniforms grew on me. At first I thought they were sort of Third Reich-looking, but the ties were classy. While the shade of green wasn't really that appealing, I started to appreciate the design as I saw them more and more.

Blue Stars were in the lot at Atlanta, and didn't have their uni tops on, so the only symbol of the corps was the new shako. I had absolutely no idea who it was. I think the shako is definitely an improvement on the uniform, but is a bit of a sad step back from the traditional aspect of a corps with such a legacy.

Santa Clara Vanguard's were awkward. When they turned backfield, the tapered look of the jacket made them look hunchbacked. Similar to the "limp" of the Blue Stars uniform last year.

Talking to some of the guys in the lot with Blue Knights, they didn't seem overly enthused that the dots were back... The dots have been gone for a long time, no one really knows why we all like them, and they were hardly noticeable on the jacket. They've created an identity in their current style uniform, but I think the addition of the dots are distracting up close and barely seen from afar.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Madison Scouts. I loved the 2005 uniforms. I liked the 2006 uniforms ok. I hated the 2007 uniforms. I was very happy to see the uniforms they chose for 2008. I thought it looked very good on the field and also close up. I might have gone with a little different shade of green, but I still loved the uniform.

2. Santa Clara Vanguard. They were ok. I didn't really love them or hate them.

3. Blue Knights. I never was a fan of the dots, but it was kind of cool that they brought something from the past back. I never saw it live, but I can't imagine that they showed up very well from a distance.

4. Blue Stars. I'm glad they chose white pants. I really like the uniform they have right now. I didn't mind the shakos, it just looked really different at first., but they grew on me.

5. Crossmen. Not bad, but I felt they needed a little bit of red in there somewhere.

6. Phantom Regiment. I was slightly disappointed in the light blue of last year, so I was really hoping that they went with something really cool this year. I wasn't disappointed and I really loved what they did, went perfect with their show.

7. Blue Devils - I really liked the white plumes. I didn't really see the skirts, so I'll have to wait till I get the dvd's to decide on this one. But I really liked the white plumes and the white trim on the uniform.

I second the opinion that the Blue Stars' white pants were a good thing. I don't remember the exact order, but the corps that were on before the Blue Stars at quarterfinals were:

Pioneer - dark green pants

Mandarins - black pants

Academy - black pants

Pacific Crest - black pants

Troopers - all dark blue

Spirit - black pants

Colts - black pants

Crossmen - all black

Scouts - black pants

Glassmen - black pants

Blue Stars - white pants

When the Blue Stars took the field after 2-1/2 to 3 hrs of watching the show it was like the black hole went away and the sun came out and filled the stadium. They were sooooo much easier to look at. It actually felt better physically.

Semis weren't much better:

Troopers - all dark blue

Spirit - black pants

Colts - black pants

Crossmen - all black

Scouts - black pants

Glassmen - black pants

BAC - black pants

Blue Stars - white pants

The eyestrain went away with the white pants.

I liked the BD apron/skirt. It actually probably helped hide dirt in the feet too.

I did, too. But how would it hide dirt in the feet? It only went halfway down the leg on one side...

I second the opinion that the Blue Stars' white pants were a good thing. I don't remember the exact order, but the corps that were on before the Blue Stars at quarterfinals were:

Pioneer - dark green pants

Mandarins - black pants

Academy - black pants

Troopers - all dark blue

Spirit - black pants

Colts - black pants

Crossmen - all black

Scouts - black pants

Glassmen - black pants

Blue Stars - white pants

When the Blue Stars took the field after 2-1/2 to 3 hrs of watching the show it was like the black hole went away and the sun came out and filled the stadium. They were sooooo much easier to look at. It actually felt better physically.

Semis weren't much better:

Troopers - all dark blue

Spirit - black pants

Colts - black pants

Crossmen - all black

Scouts - black pants

Glassmen - black pants

BAC - black pants

Blue Stars - white pants

The eyestrain went away with the white pants.

it is a shame how little white pants corps are left... yeah it makes dirt really easy to read.. but just march a clean show, and it looks amazing... i LOVE white pants. When bluecoats changed to black i was very upset... their uniform has grown on me... its not a bad uni at all, i just miss coats old unis.. mainly because of the white...

however- i will love the day phantom goes all black again... but i think its in their best interest to keep the white unis.

Phantom Regiment - drum majors keep the capes, the rest of the corps keep switching out the baldrics and gauntlets every year like you've been doing but never go back to the original black ones.

Blue Devils - fit for this show, but I'm curious as to how the drop-sashes would look on the 07 uniform (they're awkward, but unique and I like that).

SCV - essentially the same concept as last year made more modern. no comment because the changes are that insignificant to me.

Blue Stars - losing the helmets was a questionable move at first (especially considering the show theme), but the shako grew on me very quick.

Blue Knights - not a fan of the new design, but I like the fact that they don't look like the Raiders anymore (btw the Raiders had that uniform first).

Glassmen - why can't the triangle ever be gold like on their logo?

Madison Scouts - I agree that the uneven bottom is awkward, but I love this uniform anyway. this would be a good time for them to finally settle on a design for more than one year.

Crossmen - fit for the show, but absolutely hate it.

Pacific Crest - okay they didn't change their uniforms this year, but that's exactly the problem. At least go back to white pants! How are you supposed to represent SoCal, much less the Pacific, in all black!?! :blink::smile::lol:

SCVC - not bothered by the fact that there's no red, more that there's no contrast at all. Then again, that's what makes this uniform better than that of the big corps.

Citations - absolutely love this uniform, but the logo on the front looks like it was made in MS Paint.

Spokane Thunder - similar to BD: works great with the show, wouldn't make sense to keep it any longer.

Revolution - get rid of the broach, it was fine before!

Memphis Sound - make the diamond smaller, it was fine before!

Spartans - like it as much as the old uniforms. The change was necessary to reflect the the fact that this wasn't the same corps that won in 2007.

Legends - :lol:

VK - one of my favorites of the year! This is the only show-specific uniform I would make permanent (at least the top hat and converses).

Glassmen - why can't the triangle ever be gold like on their logo?

It's tradition that they shield is changed every year. If you don't believe me... source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassmen_Drum_and_Bugle_Corps

I would also like to note that from the Georgia Dome performance to the end of the season the 2008 Glassmen sported a gold ribbon that extended from gauntlet to gauntlet across the chest of the jacket separating the black and cream. And was later edited to extend from shoulder to shoulder, but remained on the gauntlets.

Edited by KickBrass