Park and Blow

87' SCV the last minute.

92' BD When a man loves a woman.

89' Phantom

Just to name the first few that made me shiver with goose bumps.

1984 Blue Devils playing La Fiesta.

THANK YOU!!!! :tongue:

Hearing all this talk about the G bugle hornlines makes me wish I was around to hear 'em live.

One of the bad things about being at the top of the food chain is you almost NEVER get to hear your competition...it took months for the records to come out...and I didn't see video of complete shows for about 6 years! (On that glorious day that I actually found the 84 top 12 videos in the Chula Vista public library you could've paraded a years worth of Playmates in front of me and I would've ignored them)

However, back in the day, the first major event where everyone met everyone was Whitewater, WI...and like some major regionals today, it was a prelims/finals in one day event (in fact, for BD is was our only day show all season)...and the prelim performance order was jumbled...I was fortunate enough to do our gig, shower, and make it back into the stands in time to be utterly blown away by the push in "Memory" from Madison...my GOD, they were cranking!!!

Edited by 84BDsop

BD 93 in " ballad " ( kind of ) right before Chain Reaction when the horn line got in a diamond. I was sitting at 20 yards off that 10 ( that's right, outer space ) and till this day while sitting in the 45 halfway up still no hornline has been as loud or focussed as compared to that. Not even other BD years......

Alot of shows come to mind....

86 Cadets

82, 85 Blue Devils (That last huge chord before First Circle)

2000 Cavaliers

97,00 Santa Clara

80s and 90s Madison

And for some shameless self-promotion,

I thought we did a nice park & blow in the Madison Alumni Corps

during the big hit in Malaguena!

Also, big props to Anaheim and Cavaliers' Anniversary Corps.

Yes - you did a nice job!

Several really good people I've worked with in the activity over the years were performing with the Madison Alumni Corps that night. At their urging I drove 17 hours up to Madison for the Friday semifinals and started for home (without even staying for finals) first thing Saturday morning.

That performance was worth every minute of the drive......both ways.

• 4 weeks later...

Bridgemen

Spirit of Atlanta

Freelancers

Carolina Crown

Madison 81. Malaguena.

Blue Devils 82. End of Chuck Corea. That's the loudest hornline I ever heard.

1984 Blue Devils playing La Fiesta.
Also, Blue Devils "One More Time Chuck Corea" in 1982. Better yet--1983. Mmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks-I'm sure those who played along with me in those fabulous horn lines would be pleased that people still get chills thinking about how we wailed on those horns in the "good 'ol days." I also agree that Madison has always seemed to be a "master" of parking and ripping off your face with their horns. Finally, I'd also like to say that I agree that for sheer power 1980 Spirit of Atlanta was incredible with their volume of sound. You really can't beat horn lines that play G horns for the magnitude of sound they could produce.

Yes! I'd describe that as "Stand & Deliver," though. "Park & Blow" just doesn't do it justice. Any ol' horn line can park & blow. Spirit's line released a physical assault on the stadium.

Amen!