The electronics rule proposal

Well, the clearer the rule, the more enforcement possible. Loose interpretation (like BD's voice modulator) is easier on the corps. DCI doesn't want to enforce anything, IMO. THe hazier the rule, the better.

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the penalty for sampling so would be.......

I've been reading many threads discussing the use of synths and electronic instruments recently. It would seem that many avid members of this site seem to think that the rule that was passed early this year will allow for sampled music and woodwinds.

Perhaps that is because the rule change proposal appears to allow those things.

This is not the case. Perhaps everyone would like to actually read the rule before going off and demonizing implications it doesn't make.

Enjoy:

TITLE OF PROPOSED CHANGE: USE OF ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS (2009 Implementation)

DESCRIPTION:

Use of Electronic Instruments Music from instruments such as electronic keyboards, synthesizers, electronic drum sets, and all other electronic instruments are allowed given that the instrument’s performer(s) are present and

performing live and in real time.

The use of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic (musical) sampled (pre-recorded/sequenced) sounds of human voices, wind instruments, and percussion instruments will not be allowed.

Seriously, what does this sentence mean? Does it mean that sequencing of music is not allowed? Or does it mean that neither sampling nor sequencing of music is allowed? Right now, it's clear as mud.

Sounds other than music (such as sound effects, and non-musical human voice) that are prerecorded and/or sequenced (sampled) can be used without penalty. Any pre-recorded sounds used that are copyrighted require all necessary and proper permissions be obtained for their use.

Again, clear as mud. This sentence implies that voice recordings of any length can be sequenced. Yet per the earlier clause, it seems that rhythmic human voice cannot be sequenced. So where is that line drawn? Is sequencing of beat poetry (a la 2004 Crown) legal or not? Is sequencing of the timed interplay between narrative and music of Lincoln Portrait legal or not?

Note: For performance purposes, music (or musical) shall be defined as the organization of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic sound through time and should only be performed live and in real time by performers that are present and participating in the performance. Sampled sounds will be defined as sounds that are pre-recorded and/or sequenced, and triggered by the use of an electronic instrument(s) during a performance. Music (as defined above) cannot be sampled. All other sounds are considered sound effects and therefore can be sampled.

More ambiguity. Music is repeatedly "defined" as "melodic, harmonic and rhythmic". Does that mean that any of those three attributes constitutes "music", or only the simultaneous application of all three? In other words, does the lack of harmonic content of a solo "instrument" permit sampling and sequencing of a single woodwind voice? Are woodwind chords just plain illegal? Or can woodwind chords be synthesized, but just not sequenced?

Thanks for posting - now we're all thoroughly confused.

I like it other than the human voice part.

I wasnt much of a fan of voice over until i heard some of the WGI groups doing it over the last few years. Hearing the voice over done really well instead of a nasally 17 year old voice just gives it alot of depth and clarity.

Hopefully that part of the rule will amended. As long as there is no rythmic intent, i think it should be allowed.

Again, I didn't write the rule proposal. It just seemed that many people were using the proposal to support their views that we will be hearing electronic woodwinds on the field in 2009. As one person said, and I completely agree, we'll probably see that rule proposal come up in the next couple years. Those who pass these rules are very good about doing things in little "harmless" steps.

TITLE OF PROPOSED CHANGE: USE OF ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS (2009 Implementation)

DESCRIPTION:

Use of Electronic Instruments Music from instruments such as electronic keyboards, synthesizers, electronic drum sets, and all other electronic instruments are allowed given that the instrument’s performer(s) are present and

performing live and in real time.

Seems self explanatory. You can't just push a key on a keyboard and let a prerecorded synth section loop.

The use of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic (musical) sampled (pre-recorded/sequenced) sounds of human voices, wind instruments, and percussion instruments will not be allowed.

You can't sample the human voice singing. It's very (oddly) worded but (you don't have) to pass a sentax test to write a (proposal).

You can't sample wind instruments or percussion instruments. An electronic drum kit is different, or so we seem to be told, in that a performer must hit the drum to make it speak.

Sounds other than music (such as sound effects, and non-musical human voice) that are prerecorded and/or sequenced (sampled) can be used without penalty. Any pre-recorded sounds used that are copyrighted require all necessary and proper permissions be obtained for their use.

Non-singing voice can be used. But hey, considering the quality of narration 99% of the time in both DCI, BOA, and WGI perhaps if it's going to be there, James Earl Jones would be a nice alternative. OOO....or Morgan Freeman. *horrible impersonation* I'd like to tell you that he put up a good fight and that the sisters left him alone. I'd like...to tell you that....

Shawshank show! Dibs.

Note: For performance purposes, music (or musical) shall be defined as the organization of melodic, harmonic and rhythmic sound through time and should only be performed live and in real time by performers that are present and participating in the performance. Sampled sounds will be defined as sounds that are pre-recorded and/or sequenced, and triggered by the use of an electronic instrument(s) during a performance. Music (as defined above) cannot be sampled. All other sounds are considered sound effects and therefore can be sampled.

So...Is it poorly written? Perhaps in places. But I feel it's clear if you want it to be. Do I like it? Jury is still out. I'll have to see it in practice. And, as with all rules, just because it is passed doesn't mean everyone is going to use it.

Well, then, case closed. It's clear if you want it to be. :smile:

Yes, as in those who want to look at it objectively will see it's meaning quite easily.

It's those who just want to rip it apart that seem to have a hard time "understanding" it.

Yes, as in those who want to look at it objectively will see it's meaning quite easily.

It's those who just want to rip it apart that seem to have a hard time "understanding" it.

. . .so what are we to say about how the vaguely worded amplification rule from a few years ago (deja vu!) allows there to be no specific place for it on the sheets, no concrete way of judging it, or the fact that a corps got away with basically bending said poorly worded rules in 2007 to create an effect?

DCI corps and their design staff are about as far from objective as you can get . . .the rule was written as vaguely as possible by George Hopkins and passed by the pro-electronics "me toos" for a reason: and that's for design staff to bend them as far as they can based on their own "interpretation".

. . .so what are we to say about how the vaguely worded amplification rule from a few years ago (deja vu!) allows there to be no specific place for it on the sheets, no concrete way of judging it, or the fact that a corps got away with basically bending said poorly worded rules in 2007 to create an effect?

And so it continues. Heard one corps using reverb late this season....that is not legal under the existing rules.