1978 Santa Clara Vanguard

Most of the shrillness I think is in the first 2 minutes. Overture to a New Era really challenged the lead sops and there are plainly heard major biffs in that part of the show. FWIW, Phantom had the same thinness at lead sop. BD and Scouts had the solid lead lines in 78 (of the top 4) Devils problem was intonation in 78. In 79 however that show was perfection.

PR did have some thinness at lead, esp in the Firebird section, but the whole SCV hornline is a little suspect to me. but then again, perhaps that's because I don't know anything about hornlines...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1978? I thought Madison won that year.

This is my #1 DCI show ever. Obviously not as great score-wise as others, but a great year for SCV. I think they were still ranked 3rd or 4th with a week or two to go. I was a sophomore in HS and it was the first year I really understood DCI a bit. Upper brass was somewhat bright, but drum book was awesome. I find myself humming this show all the time. Overture is also my favorite opener ever! One of my favorite years ever, too. Phantom, BD, Madison, Bridgemen, Crossmen, and Kilts. Great to listen to and to still watch DVD.

Indeed. They played "The Pirates of Lake Malaguena," "City of Ice Castles," and "Slaughter in Blue Avenue," I believe.

Robert? What'cha talking about? Madison won EVERY year. (I'm not biased, either)

I always thought that was the weakest hornline to lead a DCI champion.

Excellent point, considering what corps surrounded their 78 title (75 Madison, and then the ascendency of BD, neither of which corps were exactly lightweights in the brass department).

Last weekend I was going through some old recordings and I listened to 1978 Santa Clara Vanguard. I had completely forgotten how great this program was. Gail Royer was so far ahead of his time. Clean arrangements and execution. I really liked the opener "Overture for a New Era", very beautiful melody.

I was surprised as I listened to 1979 SCV that they kept most of the show from the previous year. I know this has been successful at other times (1979 and 80 27th and 1988 and 1989 SCV), but SCV won in 1978. I wondered what they were hoping to accomplish with a re-do the next year.

It was just very common for corps to hold over portions of the show from year to year. Sort of the "if it wins, why change it?" mindset. There wasn't the pressure to create a unique theme concept show each year. It also gave you a second chance to try to get it right, or make changes you might have wanted, but had no time to implement.