Star Alumni Corps To Perform At 2010 DCI Championships

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be there. Wouldn't miss it. Now the only trick is to March Renegades in 2010 also. It will be my 7th year afterall

Tif, as ###### as you've proven yourself to be time and again, I've no DOUBT they'd keep a spot open for you for the times you'll have to miss camp for Star. If ANYONE could play catchup without blinking an eye, it'd be you :worthy:

It's not like we're the Cavies or anything. Now there are some old geezers!!!! :worthy:

HEY!!!! :worthy:

... but you are right. So the oldest Star Alum could be around what, 44 years old? We had a 2nd Sop who marched in the original Cavaliers Boy Scout Troop in 1948. He was close to 80 years old and doing the Diamond Cutter and step over like the rest of us. Incredible.

BTW, there was some brief talk about us going to DCA after DCI this year but like with me, our wives would have left us if we "played drum corps" any longer then we did.

Tif, as ###### as you've proven yourself to be time and again, I've no DOUBT they'd keep a spot open for you for the times you'll have to miss camp for Star. If ANYONE could play catchup without blinking an eye, it'd be you :worthy:

Agreed, I marched beside her back in the day and no doubt she can pull both off. Incredible player and bada*s horn chick (Right Sara?). Im there in 2010 as well. Cant wait!

Roscoe

HEY!!!! :worthy:

... but you are right. So the oldest Star Alum could be around what, 44 years old? We had a 2nd Sop who marched in the original Cavaliers Boy Scout Troop in 1948. He was close to 80 years old and doing the Diamond Cutter and step over like the rest of us. Incredible.

BTW, there was some brief talk about us going to DCA after DCI this year but like with me, our wives would have left us if we "played drum corps" any longer then we did.

And you guys didn't JUMP at that opportunity????

If only it was that easy...

:worthy:

no. in fact, at the alumni show at DCA Weekend, you'll see many people that don't go to the other shows. At Lewisburg every year, Cabs Alumni usually gets a better reaction than any of the competing corps. Most winter concerts that still exist are mostly alumni corps, and they get good crowds.

You’re not answering my question.

If as some suggest these alumni/exhibition corps “steal” the show from corps in competition, why doesn’t this “superior” product yield more shows in that vein? If DCA truly represents the unfulfilled aspirations of the drum corps community, why don’t more DCA corps march that style and lure more fans to that “successful” formula?

I loved watching Cavies alums at Bloomington as well as most other alumni corps through the years. But in my opinion, much of their charm derives from the very fact that we see them seldom. But several on a night even over several nights and the nostalgia will wane. In that sense, one off is exactly right.

HH

You’re not answering my question.

If as some suggest these alumni/exhibition corps “steal” the show from corps in competition, why doesn’t this “superior” product yield more shows in that vein? If DCA truly represents the unfulfilled aspirations of the drum corps community, why don’t more DCA corps march that style and lure more fans to that “successful” formula?

I loved watching Cavies alums at Bloomington as well as most other alumni corps through the years. But in my opinion, much of their charm derives from the very fact that we see them seldom. But several on a night even over several nights and the nostalgia will wane. In that sense, one off is exactly right.

HH

Your last paragraph answeres your own question but why take a slam at DCA in your second paragraph? Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or know that little about the All Age and Alumni-type world.

Bingo, Jeff. Plus, it was decided that Saturday should keep the focus on the kids.

But logistics plays a big part, I agree…

If you’re suggesting that DCI’s leaders shifted this exhibition to Friday from Saturday without regard to revenue, then count me as disappointed.

DCI’s revenue opportunity is maximized at the Saturday championship. Little or nothing can be added to the championship competition to lure new ticket buyers. The same can’t be said for Thursday or Friday. Adding a one-off alumni exhibition to the semi-final competition offers the chance to persuade those who were considering buying for Saturday only to add a second ticket to their purchase.

I’d like to think the same regime that brought us the Classic Countdown understands the value of historical programming is in incremental, not redundant, programming.

HH

Old geezers?

Star of Indiana started in 1985. That was my age out year. I'm 44 and will have just turned 46 in Aug 2010.

Not that I could fit something like this into my increasingly busy schedule these days, but i would be the oldest of the bunch and if I had the time to do it, I would. I'm sure there will be a few other '85 ageouts in the mix to represent.

It's not like we're the Cavies or anything. Now there are some old geezers!!!! :worthy:

Hey Sara,

You know you have to do it!

BTW, the septa-generians in CAC were generally in better shape than the middle-aged guys. We had a 72-year old who could leave anyone in the dust roller-blading down Lake Michigan.

After the 2008 DCI season, no one would bat an eye if Star did a literal interpretation of "Medea." Who doesn't love carnage on a football field?

Do it.

Rick (one year older than Sara)

Your last paragraph answeres your own question but why take a slam at DCA in your second paragraph? Can't tell if you are being sarcastic or know that little about the All Age and Alumni-type world.

Sorry, no slam intended. This part of the discussion began with the suggestion from someone that Star or other alumni corps were preferred by the crowd at DCI over the junior DCI corps and that DCI was somehow conspiring to prevent these “superior” performances from infecting its show.

I used DCA as the example because it’s outside DCI’s sphere of influence and thus its corps theoretically would be free to adopt the alumni-style programming if they thought best. But given that they haven’t taken on such themes any more than DCI corps have, it seems to me an example of how bankrupt the idea is that most of us would prefer the alumni-style programming as anything except an occasional diversion.

Again, no disrespect intended to DCA corps (or alumni corps).

HH

Edited by glory