Is it worth it?

As drum corps auditions are coming up in a few weeks I've been thinking a lot about whether or not, for me, it would be worth it to march this year.

There are a few reasons I don't want to march, among quite a few others.

Firstly, I really don't want to give up my entire summer.

Second, I hate running. And pushups, and hot weather in general, and marching fundamentals, etc.

It's a ton of money.

I'm young, so I have quite a few years left, and I’m not sure I'm ready for that commitment and intensity.

Then again, I've never met anyone who has regretted marching drum corps. So if I just put these issues aside and do it, do you think in the end it will be worth it? Or realistically is it wiser to wait a year or so?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't go into it with a negative attitude. If you can't think of enough positive reasons to march, you may or may not finish it out. Why take the spot of someone wo really wants to be there only to possibly back out.

On the other side, your life and attitude will never be the same should you decide to commit yourself for the season!

I feel with you about the heat and the running and the push-ups and what not. Not seeing any of my home friends for the entire summer, and the giant hole that will be in my wallet at the end, Yet I'm still auditioning for the corps I want.

Why?

Because I love the activity, I'm willing to go (and am going) to the gym everyday, seeing a personal trainer about getting in shape (I'm about 6'0 and 205lbs), getting my arms ready for euphonium if they put me on that. What I'm getting at is if you really want to march, then go for it, nothing worse then regretting what you could have done but chose not to. Now you say you're young, so I assume like Sophmore in High school? So what I would do, is go to the audition camp, see what it's like and then make your decision, and the staff will also guide you on your decision to some extent. (Just watch out and make sure they don't try to fish you along until like January just for your money, I've heard some stories :worthy: )

Just keep going to the audition camps every year and make sure you talk with the staff, don't be shy and show that you've improved since last year, and if they take you, keep improving as much as you can in between each camps, that got me screwed over when I auditioned for Crossmen in 06 (I was 15/16, if that's gives you any insight).

Bottom Line- GO FOR IT

As drum corps auditions are coming up in a few weeks I've been thinking a lot about whether or not, for me, it would be worth it to march this year.

There are a few reasons I don't want to march, among quite a few others.

Firstly, I really don't want to give up my entire summer.

Second, I hate running. And pushups, and hot weather in general, and marching fundamentals, etc.

It's a ton of money.

I'm young, so I have quite a few years left, and I’m not sure I'm ready for that commitment and intensity.

Then again, I've never met anyone who has regretted marching drum corps. So if I just put these issues aside and do it, do you think in the end it will be worth it? Or realistically is it wiser to wait a year or so?

I'm not sure you're ready. Personally, when I was of junior corps age, all I could think of was drum corps... eat, sleep, etc. It was so compelling I couldn't think of anything else. This activity has to be your priority, and if you really enjoy it, it will be.

Even now as a Director of a DCA corps, the activity often supersedes other things that I would like to do. But I am committed to the activty - driven by it.

From my experience with working with youth today, though, there is a different outlook on things. Everyone tries to do all things. Sometimes you just have to pick the thing that you want to do most and stick with it. And you won't think of it as "giving up your summer" rather you can't wait until the next event happens.

If you're really not sure and don't want to give up your summer, try an open class corps that does a regional tour, or senior corps. It'll give you a taste of the activity without as big of a time commitment.

Agreed. Do NOT go out for a World Class corps unless you are totally committed. The dedication at that level needs to be almost total.

Well first off its kinda crazy to ask this group if it is worth it. I am thinking you are going to get answers with a lot of bias. Secondly, I almost have to say that if you have seen Drum Corps in person and still have to ask..well it is just unimaginable to me! :-)

1) Seriously ask yourself what would you be doing otherwise

2) What activity is going to build the lifelong friendships and experiences that you would get from Drum Corps

3) Remember nothing really worth it is easy

4) When you come back from the summer, tanned, and a little more buff and you see how the ladies react to that...well need I say more?

I have yet to march a season.

But last year I was completely in your situation.

I didn't know if corps was right for me.

Nevertheless, I went to a camp of my local corps. I was hooked.

On that very weekend, I knew I had to march.

Unfortunately, the corps I was going to march last year went inactive for the summer, and halfway through all-days at a different corps that invited to march with them, I ruined my knee for the summer. :/

But! I'm planning on marching this summer!

And it was all because of one camp.

I highly recommend you check out a corps camp and decide if YOU want to march.

Corps is not for everyone, but if you are one of those lucky people that was destined to march corps, you will get hooked on it.

If you're really not sure and don't want to give up your summer, try an open class corps that does a regional tour, or senior corps. It'll give you a taste of the activity without as big of a time commitment.

Ditto.... I did "Senior corps" (now called All Age) back in the day and was able to have a life outside of doing corps. Also might help you decide if doing the full blown tour is for you in later years.