Is it worth it?

Understand. Drumcorps is hard. It is a lifestyle of discomfort and hardship. You will hurt. A lot. The pain is constant and unending. And just when you think things can't get any harder, they do. You will be pushed well beyond the realm of what you ever thought was possible. You will be asked to do things normal humans would walk away from. Heat, fatigue, cramps, heavy instruments, broken-down busses, hard gym floors, sleeping sitting up for 3 months, being yelled at by staff, crotch-rot, cold showers, sunburns, tan lines, blisters, chronic diareaha from tour food, not having a moments peace, lines just to take a dump, nuclear mosquitoes, I could go on.

Sounds like fun to me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like fun to me. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

As would I, my friend. As would I.

Every time I reread the OP's question/statement, I can't help but think this is basically what is being said:

"I really want the fun part of being in a drum corps, but I don't like the work associated with it. Is there any way a corps will let me just put on the uniform and do the shows only... hang around afterwards and get all the fans coming up and telling me how great I am, maybe get a corps jacket and walk around a little in it, and then go home until the next show? Because I really don't like to WORK for anything ... I just like to be given everything I get."

Sorry, but to me that's how it sounds.

Not sure if there is a simple answer..probably not but here is some food for thought. If you don't do you very well may regret not doing it but it would be hard for you to unbderstand what you've missed. It will be hard work but with a positive attitude, it won't seem so hard. If things get rough, ask for help. Drum Corps people enjoy helping other drum corps people who love the activity as they do. I didn't think it was all that hard even though it was a long time ago. I will tell you that the friends I have today, who are my best friends, are ALL from drum corps. I don't know whatever became of friends from childhood, school or college, but I do know what goes on in my corps friends lives. We are still there for each other in time of need. I marched in a local corps for 3 years, in a national corps for 3 years then stayed on to teach that corps for another 11 years and still help and follow them as much as possible. It has been worth it.

I can only tell the OP what my own experience was. I was basically born into Drum Corps. By the time I graduated from high school I was so fed up with it, (so because I thought I was a genius) I decided to take the summer off. Why not? The drinking age was only 18 at the time and I was headed off to college anyway thinking that I knew everything. I spent most of that summer just being drunk and stupid. When one of my former corpsmates told me that a corps named the "Blue Devils" won the World Open title that year I didn't even know who they were. That's when I realized that I had to pull my head out of my butt and get back in the saddle (which I did). If I had to do it over again, I never would have wasted my time like that.

Every time I reread the OP's question/statement, I can't help but think this is basically what is being said:

"I really want the fun part of being in a drum corps, but I don't like the work associated with it. Is there any way a corps will let me just put on the uniform and do the shows only... hang around afterwards and get all the fans coming up and telling me how great I am, maybe get a corps jacket and walk around a little in it, and then go home until the next show? Because I really don't like to WORK for anything ... I just like to be given everything I get."

Sorry, but to me that's how it sounds.

Now that I re-read the OP, I agree with this statement. I know I've already weighed in on this thread, but I'll add a little more.

I think a lot of kids like the OP go into drum corps thinking its going to be like the second weekend in August the whole summer. They think "I'm an allstar in my high school/college band. I'll be a rock star in drum corps!" They watch the finals videos of Phantom and Cavaliers and think that is how it is going to be. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'll say it again. Drum corps is hard. The hardest thing I've ever done both physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Not trying to talk anybody out of auditioning, here. Give it the ol' college try so to speak.

It's not for everyone.

Couple of thing comes to mind. First, I would have given anything to march in 83 but I did not have the money. This was a much better year for Valley Fever. So I finally got to march in 84. Second. There are many reasons to march but for most people I would say that you just ....HAVE TO! I could not think of anything but drumming and marching. Over 25 year later I still dream of DRUM CORPS. Just last night I had a dream I was filling in for a drum corps and was marching but did not know the drill. I knew I could fill spot then I woke up!!!!

Your post makes me think of a story I was told at one time in my life.

There was a old man sitting on his front porch when a young couple pulled up in there car. The young couple asked the old man "how was the neighborhood, would this be a good place to raise a family?" The old man asked them what kind of people to you expect find. They said they were expecting to find nice neighbors, friendly people, and a nice place to raise their children. Old man replied then i suspect that is exactly what you will find here then. The young couple smiled and drove off. About twenty minutes later another young couple pulled up and asked him the same question. The old man asked the same question, "what did they expect to find?" they responded that were expecting to find unfriendly people, danger, and other problems. The old man replied, "then I suspect that is what you will find here then." The young couple drove off upset.

So what is the moral of the story? If you go in looking for all of the negative things then that is all you will find. In drum corps you will find running, push ups and days of pain that you feel like you can not go on another day. You will be miserable will want to or will quit by July at the latest. If you go in looking for the greatest experience of your life, then you will find friendships that will be with you for the rest of your life. One of the greatest feelings of accomplishment you have ever experienced in your life. Pride your self, your brothers and sisters, and your corps. And spending a life time of trying to explain drum corps to those that have no clue as to what it is, and no matter what they say, you know in your heart it has been one of the most fulfilling experiences in your life, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Basically; what you put into it is what you will get out of it.

Shannon