Is it worth it?

know that you are going into hell, there are parts of the summer where you will wish you were dead or could go home. but at the end, it is the best experience of your life.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha some of my friends don't want to march corps because they'll have to shower with everyone..

Yeah showering with the girls was amazing! :worthy:

Haha some of my friends don't want to march corps because they'll have to shower with everyone..

lol, that's where the party's at

atleast go to a camp somewhere and test it out see if it's right for you, definitly doing will change your life, i like plan my life around the drum corps season, right now i'm sitting here suppose to be doing HW, but got distracted by thinking about drum corps and ended up on dcp.

so atleast go to a camp try it out, i too did an open class corps before world class.

I agree with most of the others-try an open class or senior corps. But remember even taking that route you are going to have significant expense and discomfort. If you dislike that, then you may just be a drum corps fan.

Nevertheless, I went to a camp of my local corps. I was hooked.

100% agree with everyone who says to go to a camp. In the summer of '01, I didn't really what drum corps was, but some of my older friends from band talked about it all the time. They all went up to a camp over Thanksgiving weekend, and came back, deciding not to continue. I was curious at this point though, and my sister told me I should go to the December camp for a different corps. She took me up a month later and I was hooked immediately. I ended up marching for two seasons before getting a real job :worthy:

Edit: And the cost for a weekend camp isn't too bad

Edited by phido06

Firstly, I really don't want to give up my entire summer.

consider a DCA corps, or Open Class

Second, I hate running. And pushups, and hot weather in general, and marching fundamentals, etc.

the vast majority of drum corps members do not like those things as well. If you are in a corps that self disciplines, it is not a big deal for you to drop and do 5/10 when you make a mistake. It just becomes routine. No one says the best part of their season was marching fundamentals, or being outside when it is 105+ running a section of the show over and over, or getting heat exhaustion. One of the best things that drum corps teaches you is that you have to deal with the situation that you are given. So, most people decide that these things are worth putting up with for the reward.

It's a ton of money.

there are sponsorships out there, and some corps are cheaper than others.

I'm young, so I have quite a few years left, and I’m not sure I'm ready for that commitment and intensity.

yea... you can wait. But each summer you wait will probably be a summer that you wished you marched when you are 21.

I think that if you are conflicted you should definitely test the waters at a camp or two before you commit to the full summer experience. If you're enjoying the camps and the other people who are participating in the group, chances are you'll be fine for the summer. Soccerguy nailed the pushup/running issue: it's not something most groups will spend a lot of time on. Sure, it exists, but it will not be the focus of your season.

Edited by McDutchy

As drum corps auditions are coming up in a few weeks I've been thinking a lot about whether or not, for me, it would be worth it to march this year.

There are a few reasons I don't want to march, among quite a few others.

Second, I hate running. And pushups, and hot weather in general, and marching fundamentals, etc.

It's a ton of money.

I'm young, so I have quite a few years left, and I’m not sure I'm ready for that commitment and intensity.

Then again, I've never met anyone who has regretted marching drum corps. So if I just put these issues aside and do it, do you think in the end it will be worth it? Or realistically is it wiser to wait a year or so?

Well, I say go to a camp and see what it's all about. Then after evaluating the situation you can then decide if you want to accept any contract that is offered. Just know that once you do, don't chicken out. Realize that you should commit for the long haul.

Reasons why I think this?

1) You'll soon find that a summer on tour is anything but a summer "given up."

2) The physical side is going to be much different at the corps level then your high school band. Sure there will be more physical preparation, but everyone could stand to exercise. That and when you're busting your @%% for a corps you know it's worth it because everyone there is working just as hard as you and you know it will all pay off. Not many high school bands, if any, can say that about every member.

3) I know times are tough, but as my father always says, "It's just money." Not that we had a ton to just blow, but that it's just paper. It's going to get spent on something, so why not have it be something truly worth while. That and if you weigh the cost of marching against the cost of feeding, housing, and entertaining yourself over a typical summer I think you'll find savings.

4) You may be young now, but its a ticking clock. Come 22 you'll be wishing you had marched every season you could have, if at all. One of my greatest, and only real, regrets in life was not making the most of my marching years. I design now and that's great, but it's not IT.

So take it one step at a time. Commit to a camp or two. Then commit to the full experience.

As drum corps auditions are coming up in a few weeks I've been thinking a lot about whether or not, for me, it would be worth it to march this year.

There are a few reasons I don't want to march, among quite a few others.

It's a ton of money.

Then again, I've never met anyone who has regretted marching drum corps. So if I just put these issues aside and do it, do you think in the end it will be worth it? Or realistically is it wiser to wait a year or so?

CONSIDER THIS:

Background1-1.jpg