Spirit Announces 2009 Program

The design question that everyone wants to know though...will the guard be sporting mullets?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm just a fan and the dad of Spirit member. I will say, having been kind of privy to things that were kicking around in early stages that this is a home run from the standpoint of doing something different than others are doing, that uses horns and drumlines (a strength last summer) and sells some by-God t-shirts.

One hit? How about:

1. Dust in the Wind

2. Point of Know Return

3. Song for America

4. People of the South Wind

and yes, Carry on....Again, while I marched in high school and college I've just been a DCI fan since 1977 or so when I saw Cavvies and Cadets for the first time, I am sick to death of watching shows (and I'm afraid Spirit's 2008 show was a little like this) where I sit there and say, "WHAT?" Enough of the freaking school girl in the closet and on and on....time for the Delta to kick some ### and take some names.

Kansas??? What are they going to play, a medley of their hit (singular)?

Not true....Kansas has enough hit songs to fill out an 11 minute show....well, if you include drum breaks and some long notes

In response to the Northern Aurora references, lemme just say this:

Blue Devils played a bit of Kansas in their '82 show. I think they did alright that year.

I think Spirit will do just fine with this. And yes, it's DEFINITELY better than the boring, unapproachable shows they've done the last couple years.

Kansas??? What are they going to play, a medley of their hit (singular)?

Were you listening to the radio in the 70's and 80"s? ....jk.

Kansas has few hits, though I don't believe any went #1. I appreciate your opinion, but you gotta admit the show does touch a nerve of interest.

Also, I truly do understand your point, but I am excited as a SOA alum to hear some music that I can relate to, but the creative aspect will really have to flourish to pull it off. I believe the staff they have can do it, plus the kids will really get into it too.

Spirit did a drum solo to Kansas' No One Together, and renamed it We're All Together, back in 83 & 84. Spirit's drumline was strong back then, just as they are now, and with the drumline playing the way they have been in recent years they should be fun to watch.

Edited by jsualumnus

The comments so far are very interesting. I for one am very excited. I have not liked much of anything they have done for a decade. Sure, there have been some good moments. They just seemed to have no identity, certainly not like their hey day. If I am reading into the press release correctly, this show is an attempt to recapture the old Spirit energy with something new, and something that could give them their own niche again. Makes perfect sense to me.

A few specific reactions to previous comments:

Referring to Kansas as a "one hit wonder": this person does not know Kansas, or needs a review. BIG HITS: "Carry On", "Dust in the Wind", "Fire and Ice", "Song for America", "Point of No Return"

many other great tunes. Since when does a corps have to play "hits" to be successful?

Someone lists Northern Aurora's lack of success (from 1993 BTW) as a reason not to play certain music. Think about this. It makes no sense. Can't count how many times I have seen and heard really bad versions of 1812, Candide, William Tell, 007, etc. With the "Northern Aurora" analogy, if any music has ever been played by anyone and it was not good, it's off the list, undoable, a bad idea. This is just silly.

All this conjecture is a matter of trust. The drum corps community does not trust groups outside the top six, or a fast up and coming corps like Blue Stars, to make decision that will be solid for success. I am not knocking Bluecoats at all, love them, but...they release a cool image and people think the show is going to be great. Why, the image is interesting, but anyone who thinks it through knows it is just an image and promises no success in and of itself. This cool image plus of recent love of Bluecoats helps us trust that something great will come from the group this summer.

Nothing against Spirit, but the trust level is no where near the same. When was the last time they were the talk of the activity or showed signs of taking it all by storm? Watch it as it happens: Top six or so announce their shows and most if not all fans will react positively, The next three or so corps announce their shows and there is more diverse reaction, corps 11-21 announce shows and you will get a very wide mix bag of reactions based on the recent forward or backward competitive movement of that group.

I think this music has great potential. It is exciting music on its own. It does somewhat remind me of some of my favorite drum corps moments of the last six or seven years. I can count on three fingers how many corps from 2008 that I listen to on the CDs based on the fact that the music has something to offer. Kansas has so much great music (famous and not as famous) my only fear is how they will decide what to leave out?

Best of luck Spirit.

Edited by tigger2

Mysteries and Mayhem!!

Magnum Opus!

Paradox!!

Sweet tunes!!!