Spirit Announces 2009 Program

Spirit Announces 2009 Program

Written by Joel Vincent

In seeking to recapture to the true essence of Spirit, traditionally known for their high energy, unique approach, and fan-friendly programs, the Jacksonville, Alabama based corps has announced the musical source for their 2009 program.

In describing the 2009 program, Executive Director Joel Vincent states, “Sometimes in trying to capture the past, we have to realize we are operating in the present and not try to repeat what cannot be repeated. Instead, we need to concentrate on the ingredients that shaped our past and use those tools to help determine our future. Those are the threads that guided us as we approached the ’09 program. Mark Waymire and the design team have done a great job in finding the right vehicle for us to tell our drum corps story and to present it in a high-energy, contemporary Spirit way. The genre we have chosen is wide open for exploration and with the creative genius of brass arranger Scott Boerma as well as, percussion arrangers Shane Gwaltney and Eric Willie I know we have found a musical format which will energize our creative process as well as excite members and fans.”

In 2009 Spirit will explore the music of one of America’s premier progressive-rock groups, KANSAS as the corps returns to a hard driving, high energy sound that fans have loved for years. The music of KANSAS presents a strong body of work that is sometimes complex, yet always accessible making it an outstanding choice for drum corps in this era as we expand our craft without forgetting the fans. With the group’s first album released in 1974 their music was always considered to be “ahead of its time”. Anchored by their classic hits, “Carry on Wayward Son”, “Dust in the Wind”, and “Point of Know Return”, KANSAS has produced over thirty years of outstanding work.

“If ever a group has expressed a true marriage of rock music and original art music, it is the progressive offerings of KANSAS.” Grammophone.

We invite you to journey with Spirit as we explore the music of, KANSAS.

http://www.spiritdrumcorps.org/

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but I just don't think this is going to be a great show. Having marched several of Boerma's brass books, I think he's an arranger that can make just about anything sell...I just don't think Kansas is a great fit for the field.

Maybe it will, but I can't say that I believe it will be a success.

I actually believe if this show is arranged the way Scott can arrange, this will be a great show. For one, it can be very audience friendly and second it can be competitive. Just my opinion.

I for one cannot wait. I remember some naysayers poopooing Crown's choice of Wild Horses but it was of the true wonderful moments of their show. Yeah, I know it could potentially be a disaster but I for one believe if they choose the correct moments in the music and get the ENERGY into it it will be a very Kick ### show!!!

Northern Aurora 1993 part II

I think every show has the potential to be a disaster, especially if you're a "sky is falling" type of person.

Exactley! I for one am a glass is half full type person. GO SPIRIT