A pencil? Important?

Former Rochester Patriot (and Empire Statesmen) Lynn Hoyt leaves a legacy that proves even the simplist items can be important.

http://www.13wham.com/news/local/story.asp...97-d42cd7921803

Lynn is the daughter of Gary Hoyt - well known NY & DCA Visual Judge and color guard judge/instructor and his wife Kay. The entire family did Patriots for over a decade when Lynn was joined by her brothers Jeff and Kevin and sister Jennifer. Her memorial service was today. Lynnie was 34.

This is quite a shock!!! We lost a great teacher here this past week and now to hear about Lynne. I can remember Gary and Kay and their wonderful children when I was working with the Patriots in the 80's.

My sympathy to Gary and Kay and her brothers and sister.

"Well done faithful servant..."

hi Keith...

FYI - Gary is retired to Ocala

This is quite a shock!!! We lost a great teacher here this past week and now to hear about Lynne. I can remember Gary and Kay and their wonderful children when I was working with the Patriots in the 80's.

My sympathy to Gary and Kay and her brothers and sister.

"Well done faithful servant..."

My thoughts,prayers and sympathies,to the family.and yes,I will most certainly donate to the "pencil project"!

Having lost a daughter and knowing how the DC community turned out for me. I know the Hoyts will have many helping hands in their time of sorrow.

They are a special family.

Love you Kate and Gary.

I had the privilege of marching Patriots with Lynne, Jeff, Kevin, and Jen in the early 90's. I've been at the Hoyt household quite a bit in my teen years and have to say that the Hoyts are an amazing family. Kay and Gary welcomed everyone into their home with style.

When I heard the news from Tom Peashey, I flashed back to the days at the Hoyt house. The days of learning about drum corps and how people come together as a drum corps family. The days of learning from Gary the difference of my left and right foot! And for some reason, I cannot get off my mind the morning at the Hoyts when Gary decided to give us all a wake-up call by blasting his new "Fiddler on the Roof" CD in the living room! From what I can recall....Lynne was not impressed.

As we all grew up, we drifted apart for a while (10 years or so!)...But then, who do I see on an Empire Statesmen bus years later.... Lynne!!

Many of us on the Crusaders administrative and teaching staff have marched with the Hoyts (both generations) and we all send out our thoughts to the Hoyts. Those of us who marched with them through the years will be talking this weekend at our upcoming open house to see what we can do to help her family continue to get 10,000 pencils for those children!

David

Edited by David Hobart