learning to write drill

I've finally finished marching band for good and want to begin instructing immediately next Fall. That's not a problem. What is a problem is that I want to write drill and I don't have and can't afford Pyware. :smile:

How can I get a good start in writing drill without using Pyware? I know most band directors prefer the hardware, and one day I'll hopefully get my hands on it, but for now I'd like to get a start by making a portfolio with pen and paper (first question: Will that help get me a job?) Any advice or tips from the old-timers that have gotten it done without a computer?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got Pyware for free and here's how I did it. I worked as a tech for a band and did a few rewrites for them. After a year of poorly constructed drill in terms of effect, I was brought on to write half of the show. I got some money and one of their Pyware licenses. I still write drill for them.

Get your Pyware demo and start practicing. Also I recommend writing a little by hand. Read some scores and learn about how to stage voices. Also if you don't like guard, you need to learn to love it.

Remember, you don't use Pyware to "write" drill. YOU write the drill. Jot things down on paper and get ideas out of your head first. Only use Pyware to chart people into your drill. Pyware is a tool that can help, but you shouldn't let it do the designing for you.

VERY true. I used one of the very first incarnations of Pyware, (with an Apple IIe and a plotter), and the software will only be as good as one's creativity. It will help to get the spacings correct and the animation is neat, but the creativity starts and ends with the person doing the creating.

Computers are neat, but remember, some of the biggest names in the history of drum corps drill design innovation never used a computer to design drill.

Yeah, that seems like my biggest problem, creativity. I see a lot of fancy drill in MML, but I never think of the things they come up with. And coming up with abstract pictures is just a no go for me.

The best thing I did was writing very functional drill that was not flashy in any way. Proper voice staging, learn to move the guard around and off so that equipment changes are not events. Oh and the best practice ever... Write with prime numbers because I have never had a good geometric number given to me to write with. Last year I had to write for 19 guard. That was not fun.

In time, you'll find yourself becoming more creative and more original.

Edited by CloudHype

Also remember that, in some regard, you have to learn to walk before you can run. Study a lot of the "stock" transitions out there and try to recreate them in Pyware. It can be a beast to learn at first and if you get the tools down without worrying about being creative then you will find that when it's time to be creative you aren't fighting the tools because you are already comfortable with them.

It also helps to really delve into a lot of the stock moves out there and really understand how they work. Figure out how the math works behind them in terms of numbers, yardline relationships, etc. If you really understand how they work you can not only reproduce them quickly when needed, but you will understand the concepts that you need to think about and work out when creating your own clever new designs.