I was there when..........., Fill in the blank

I couldn't believe it when he did his sky-high toss in the 4 count halt in "Procession of Bacchus" during his last show at 87 Prelims/Finals....HUGE air and a solid catch on the first beat of the push....and in the rain.

Crappy conditions, but a spectacular way to close his career!

I was there when an assistant DM for Bucs was filling in for George and decided to do that toss and things went terribly wrong. He threw it up and it went off course, I mean Wey man, off course and as we moved forward it came down and slammed into the head of the guy next to me. Knocked him out cold and for some reason he quit after that...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there when 1983 Sunrisers won DCA, the undefeated Dennis Delucia perc section won the Percussion caption and the snares had no ticks in finals when there was a tick system. I was the end snare.... one of them. That was my last competition so I'll never forget it. What a way to end a drum corps career. I realize how blessed I was to be a part of that.

I was there at a show in upstate New York I believe (1977?). It was one of those magic nights when everyone sounded fantastic. That's when Yankee Rebels had a great John Flowers percussion section. They were on before us and when they came off the field their perc section was elated they did such a great job. It was like they were saying "you can't top what we just did". They scored a 19.0 out of 20.0 in like July! Which is unreal. Scores like that are usually in finals.

We went on after them and proceeded to play a near perfect percussion execution show that night. I actually remember the feeling while playing. It was like magic we were so clean and the sound was unbelievable while playing. Was something in the air that night? Was the temperature and humidity perfect for drum corps? I don't know, but after the Rebels thought they couldn't be beat, we scored a 19.6 that night in percussion. It was a surreal night of excellence. The score sheet from the judge just said "unbelievable!". Taking home the high percussion trophy that night was very special.

I was there in June of 1977, on a Friday night, with a huge crowd at the Madison Square Garden show..... when the Rhode Island Matadors nearly tore the roof off the Garden with an unbelievably electric performance. :tongue::devil:

We (Sunrisers) did a great job that night and won the show..... but honestly, if the Matadors had won we would not have complained at all. They were absolutely on fire that night... this while going on last after a tough ride from Rhode Island, basically arriving at the Garden just before their performance time.

They got a huge standing ovation at the end of "Malaguena"..... then, when the Mats played the first few notes of their "Rocky" exit tune, the crowd erupted.... the applause was so overwhelming that you could barely hear the corps playing. Everyone in the stands was going wild from that point on, until the end of the Matadors' performance....even the members of the other competing corps, including us.

This was a performance for the ages, for sure.

Fran

Thanks, Fran

It great to be remembered by someone who has seen so much. It was that performance that got us into the Macy's Day Parade. I guess the folks in NYC were impressed by our marching. Actually, we pretty good with the feet thanks to Gil Silva and his "mild-mannered" way of getting you to do it well. lol.....

I was there when we wore clown suits ----ed

I was there when we wore clown suits -- :tongue: --ed

I think a corps in clown suits would be very interesting today. Of course though they would play very dark music and do a Stephen King themed show complete with gargoyles and screaming banshees. http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/styl...ault/tongue.gif

1967 Shriner's. Mistake on tabulation sheet has the Boston Crusaders matched up with the wrong scores. As a result all 3 caption awards were announced to the Chicago Cavaliers. When they announced the scores there was a long,long pause prior to announcinig 2nd place. At that point I belive the drum judge had pointed out the error. Finally the announcer stated that the high drum trophy should have been awarded to the Boston Crusaders. As the Cavalier DM reached down to find the right trophy to hand over the announcer chimed in again simply stating "along with the high horn and marching trophy also". On the Fleetwood album from that show they have the picture of the DM's standing with all the trophy's next to the Cavaliers DM. After that they resumed the scores which had the Crusaders winning by well over 3 poins.