I was there when..........., Fill in the blank

I was there for......the single greatest performance by any corps, junior or Senior that I have every seen.

1971 at the Dream in the old Roosevelt Stadium, the dust brings back great memories, The most knock down, in your face, drill the teeth, gray the hair performance by The Skyliners!!!!! When I think about the closing fanfare it still sends shivers up my spine.

I know I have said this before on DCP, but that was a defining moment for me about what DC could be.

i remeber that show. we had finished our show and i was in the stands at the 30 yard line and WOW!!! the horn line all most knocked me down. when they came of the starting line the skin peeled off my face. it was the greatest performance i had ever seen.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And the award for top drums goes to..... the Baltimore Yankee-Rebels"

What you didn't mention & it still remains one of the most memorable things I've ever

seen at a show. During the 1st rain delay, the one that interrupted Cru , the Rebels were

under the stands trying to stay dry. An impromptu drum solo started that drove the crowd,

(also under the stands) to a frenzy. That propelled them to well deserved high drums........

I was there!!!

I was there for the skunk at retreat in Syracuse

Me too!

I was there in 2003 when the Cabs' "water drums" were born. :whip:

"And the award for top drums goes to..... the Baltimore Yankee-Rebels"

What you didn't mention & it still remains one of the most memorable things I've ever

seen at a show. During the 1st rain delay, the one that interrupted Cru , the Rebels were

under the stands trying to stay dry. An impromptu drum solo started that drove the crowd,

(also under the stands) to a frenzy. That propelled them to well deserved high drums........

I was there!!!

getting stopped in the middle of the opener was the stangest thing i was ever involved in. i've seen the judges leave the field but never stop a corps.

as for the rebels taking high drums.......that was a slam dunk anyway with john flowers instructing. he was a great instructor. i should know. i was in his drumline in 1977.

getting stopped in the middle of the opener was the stangest thing i was ever involved in. i've seen the judges leave the field but never stop a corps.

as for the rebels taking high drums.......that was a slam dunk anyway with john flowers instructing. he was a great instructor. i should know. i was in his drumline in 1977.

Actually it wasn't a slam dunk as We (Sky), Reading and YR had been going back and forth all year and finals placements were withthin 0.2. John Flowers was and is a very innovative percussion mind, no argument there.

for the record... while the judges were waving their clipboards and arms to help pull us off the field... for the record Don, it was Vince's decision to stop the show... he said we were so pumped up we were "ticking" our butts off... as the torrential rain kept increasing - he was told by the chief judge that it was Vince's call and he simply had to let him know if he felt it was too bad to continue...

and if you remember... my horn exited the field WAY before I did... amazing how far you can throw a mellophone when the adrenaline flows.

for the record... while the judges were waving their clipboards and arms to help pull us off the field... for the record Don, it was Vince's decision to stop the show... he said we were so pumped up we were "ticking" our butts off... as the torrential rain kept increasing - he was told by the chief judge that it was Vince's call and he simply had to let him know if he felt it was too bad to continue...

and if you remember... my horn exited the field WAY before I did... amazing how far you can throw a mellophone when the adrenaline flows.

i remember the horn going..........to funny.

Actually it wasn't a slam dunk as We (Sky), Reading and YR had been going back and forth all year and finals placements were withthin 0.2. John Flowers was and is a very innovative percussion mind, no argument there.

well as far as i'm concerned it was a slam dunk. but that's just my opinion. and if you know anything about me i am a big sky fan. i loved the 75 show.

I was there in June of 1977, on a Friday night, with a huge crowd at the Madison Square Garden show..... when the Rhode Island Matadors nearly tore the roof off the Garden with an unbelievably electric performance. :whip::whip:

We (Sunrisers) did a great job that night and won the show..... but honestly, if the Matadors had won we would not have complained at all. They were absolutely on fire that night... this while going on last after a tough ride from Rhode Island, basically arriving at the Garden just before their performance time.

They got a huge standing ovation at the end of "Malaguena"..... then, when the Mats played the first few notes of their "Rocky" exit tune, the crowd erupted.... the applause was so overwhelming that you could barely hear the corps playing. Everyone in the stands was going wild from that point on, until the end of the Matadors' performance....even the members of the other competing corps, including us.

This was a performance for the ages, for sure.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring