Always wanted to march in the Bridgemen buuuuuutttt

"Big Noise from Winnetka", the BRIDGEMEN arrangment, is the one tune I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY have to play in drum corps before I die.

And YOU'RE PLAYING IT. THIS YEAR.

(grumble, whine because there's no way I could afford to do it from CA............grumble, whine)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

------------------------------

Whale schmale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOLY CRAP WE ARE PLAYING SPANISH DREAMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Few more things on the bucket list and I am ready to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOO HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blondie

Yes, and it was awfully quiet this past weekend without you! :thumbup:

Seriously...hope that you're feeling better, and back with the SAS LINE very soon!!! :rolleyes:

...Jimmy

PS - Yeah...we have a GREAT show this year! Spanish Dreams gives me goose bumps each and every time! :thumbup:

"Big Noise from Winnetka", the BRIDGEMEN arrangment, is the one tune I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY have to play in drum corps before I die.

(grumble, whine because there's no way I could afford to do it from CA............grumble, whine)

Well, Rich, if you're ever in the area, or want to make a trip to the Big Apple...

Give us a shout! Come down and sit in with us for a few days!

...Jim

PS - One correction...the ballad is entitled "Hymn to the Last Whale", by Crosby, Stills, and Nash. We played it in 1978.

One tiny clarification - the original piece was also titled "Wind on the Water" the lyrics are beautiful, sad, and haunting. I was never aware of the "hymn" part, although when the corps sang it in rehearsal, there was a very, deeply spiritual feeling to it. One of Larry's best ever charts, and with Larry that's no mean feat.

I caught someone else's "Whale Shmale" post. I can see how one could feel that way, unless they played it that year. If you were out there, or lucky to be where I was, plastered to the wall at Mile High Stadium, you'd probably tear up every time you hear it, as I have for the past 31 years. (I had the vinyl of the original, and since then have bought the cd)

Edited by rayfallon

One tiny clarification - the original piece was also titled "Wind on the Water" the lyrics are beautiful, sad, and haunting. I was never aware of the "hymn" part, although when the corps sang it in rehearsal, there was a very, deeply spiritual feeling to it. One of Larry's best ever charts, and with Larry that's no mean feat.

I caught someone else's "Whale Shmale" post. I can see how one could feel that way, unless they played it that year. If you were out there, or lucky to be where I was, plastered to the wall at Mile High Stadium, you'd probably tear up every time you hear it, as I have for the past 31 years. (I had the vinyl of the original, and since then have bought the cd)

Ray I was on that field at mile high stadium that night and you are so right......its one of my favorites that the B-Men played, and im sure Jimmy will back me up on this one .......

The show for this season is by far the best the corp put out thus far......The hornline is coming on so strong...Id join this hornline if i wernt a drummer " did i just say that ?" anyway i would .....

Its been a dream for me to try to re-create as best as we can the magic that was the Bridgemen, and each year we inch closer and closer ......to show the new school just how good the old school was....each in our own way.Whats more is that the Bridgemen offer an excellent staff so that if a young person didnt make the corp of his/her choice they could join us,

get superior instruction, save money for next year, and have a blast doing drumcorps...and a resume always looks better when it has "Marched with the Bayonne Bridgemen" in it !!!!!!!!

No Tryouts or auditions....just bring your lips or your hands and a willingness to have fun and play some kicka-- music....thats it !!!!!! This show is going to rock in so many ways...I personally cant wait to get back to practice....

-----------------------

Hey Ray - Blondie from the SAS

Technically according to allmusic.com and my CBA husband..... the original track was entitled "To the Last Whale:Critical Mass/Wind on the Water". I like Larry's title much better, shorter etc......

However I should qualify this and say that I didn't listen to this drecky music when I was a kid, so the tune is new to me and only heard by my in the Bridgemen context.

Jimmy J - - I heard the guys in the line made it through without me - - but barely !!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much, I already feel much better than I did four days ago and I can't wait to see everyone on the 8th !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOUBLE HYPE TO SPANISH DREAMS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually DOUBLE HYPE TO ALL THAT WE DO.

A dream come true.

LOVE to you all Blondie.

-----------------------

Hey Ray - Blondie from the SAS

Technically according to allmusic.com and my CBA husband..... the original track was entitled "To the Last Whale:Critical Mass/Wind on the Water". I like Larry's title much better, shorter etc......

\\

Wow - you are of course correct...

"Drecky?" (I guess I'll just sniffle indignantly - although I didn't listen to this when I was a kid, first hearing the Nash-Young piece AFTER the corps played it, at which time I was a 26 year old father of one. Still, Drecky?

(sniffle)

It's funny the stuff you forget though - I can't remember anyone ever calling it "Hymn" to the last whale, but I trust Mr. Jordan's memory a lot more than I do mine.

Rich ~ we played it last year too. :rolleyes:

:thumbup: *just reminding you of what a pain in the butt you used to think i was.* :thumbup:

------------------------------

Whale schmale !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speaking of which, whale watching boat trip this summer? the girls would love it!!!

\\

Wow - you are of course correct...

"Drecky?" (I guess I'll just sniffle indignantly - although I didn't listen to this when I was a kid, first hearing the Nash-Young piece AFTER the corps played it, at which time I was a 26 year old father of one. Still, Drecky?

(sniffle)

It's funny the stuff you forget though - I can't remember anyone ever calling it "Hymn" to the last whale, but I trust Mr. Jordan's memory a lot more than I do mine.

Googled "HYMN TO THE LAST WHALE" and this is what came up (bold type inserted by me):

From DCI:

Drum Corps International :: Marching Music's Major League™

Manual deFalla, Aram Khachaturian. Spanish Dreams. Gene Phillip Kelly. Hymn to the Last Whale. Crosby, Stills and Nash. Add APD to Cart - $4.49 ...

From corpsreps.com:

1978 DCI

5th 87.65 • Ritual Fire Dance/Sabre Dance

Salute to Mayor Koch & the Big Apple:

• Traffic Jam

• New York, New York

• 42nd Street

• Harlem Nocturne

• Spanish Dreams

• Cachaca (Baiao)

• Hymn to the Last Whale

• William Tell Overture

I'm not sure where the "Hymn" came from, but that's what it was always called, back in the day. Although, there is VERY little that I remember from those early years, as well, Ray! :thumbup: I was only 18 in 1978, and, uhh, well... enough said! :rolleyes:

*** Somewhere along the way, either the name was changed, or the "HYMN" was inserted by our staff, at some point.

Edited by overthehillDM