Who actually revolutionized story telling?

Phantom 2005 told no story, it just had a featured dancer saying "here I am, look at me!"

It had a story line, it just wasn't quite as obvious, or as deep as 06/08

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume we're just talking about the recent past? Because story-telling has been around drum corps since before I was born, probably before DCI as well.

Now that's the truth. I'm going to cite a show that most of you yungums i.e. anyone under the age of 40, wouldn 't remember.

Madison Scouts 1971.....Alice in Wonderland. The only time a girl ever marched in Madison to my knowledge. I don't remember her name but she was a really cute blonde.

Now that's the truth. I'm going to cite a show that most of you yungums i.e. anyone under the age of 40, wouldn 't remember.

Madison Scouts 1971.....Alice in Wonderland. The only time a girl ever marched in Madison to my knowledge. I don't remember her name but she was a really cute blonde.

"The Day Drum Corps Died" . . .heh.

There was also a girl as "Carmen" in the Scouts 2005 production.

As much as I loved Cadets 05, it did not have nearly the same connection with the audience Phantom 08 did. The only other show the comes to mind is Vanguard 89.

Don't recall her name, other than her last name. She was director Bill Howard's 10-year old daughter.

Madison, Garfield, Brassmen...we all had 'story shows' in 71. Half of the Cavies show was a circus show, but I'm not sure it told a 'story' in the sense of the others.

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights did the "King and I" in 71 as well...for at least part of their show. I don't recall if they told the story of the show (outside of the DM Fran Haynes in a Yul Brynner bald wig :thumbdown: ), or just used a lot of the music without any 'plotline'.

As much as I loved Cadets 05, it did not have nearly the same connection with the audience Phantom 08 did. The only other show the comes to mind is Vanguard 89.

I feel the opposite. As great as the 2008 Phantom show was (granted I didn't get to see it live), I didn't feel a "connection" to the corps. Yes, they played with lots of emotion, and it was done phenomenally, but I wasn't pulled in like I was watching the 05 Cadets show. I get chills every time I even hear it. I was drawn more by the music of the Cadets 05 than this year's Phantom show. my 2 cents

SCV '04 is the show that brought storytelling back as a viable show design in the 2000's.

That's a given.

As much as I LOVED Regiment's show this year...I'm afraid it was not revolutionary. It was just really really really good drum corps.

Agrees with this statement.

As much as I loved Cadets 05, it did not have nearly the same connection with the audience Phantom 08 did.

Majorly disagrees with this statement. I was in the stands on that sweltering hot finals night in Foxboro. It was electric when The Cadets hit the field.

Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights did the "King and I" in 71 as well

Give the real credit to the senior Archer-Epler Musketeers who did a complete "King and I" show in the late 50's. Half a century later, their alumni corps still plays "Lord and Master" as their signature song.

And expect ex-Archieman Jim Cossetti to chime in here soon with the rest of the details.