Who actually revolutionized story telling?

In my mind, no one beats Sky Ryders with their stories...esp. the Wizard of Oz.

There's my 2 cents worth...you don't have to agree.

But I do anyway. I miss the Sky Ryders. (The Kansas broadway musical version.)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so many people didnt feel the connection from 05 Cadets because alot of people wasn't open to watch a show of that nature (having amplification of voices) coming from the Cadets. I enjoyed phantom 08 alot but feel that everyone loved the show so much because of the situation the show was in. Making a come back to win on finals night always gets the audience extra hype about the show. I feel it was the tight race that helped it alot then not to mention they threw down a high energy very emotional show. As in 05 everyone knew the Cadets were gonna win when they defeated the Cavaliers in Indy. Just my opinion of course.

The same can be said about Santa Clara's 88-89 shows that I said about Spirit. They played the music from the Phantom of the Opera, and the guard guys and gals dressed appropriately, but how can you tell that story without Raoul? They successfully created the atmosphere of the story and even went as far as having the Phantom disappear, but there really wasn't a story in their show...was there? Wasn't that merely a wonderful presentation of the musical, complete with the appropriate visuals to help build the theme?

Steve,

You have some very good points. How do you feel about 86 and 87 SCV? In my opinion, those shows probably seemed to have an even more discernable linear story being told than either 88 or 89.

In my mind, no one beats Sky Ryders with their stories...esp. the Wizard of Oz.

There's my 2 cents worth...you don't have to agree.

But what if I DO agree? :blink:

I seem to remember Sky being introduced at some shows in 87 as "The great storytellers of Drum Corps"... or something like that.

There was one show where the announcer really laid it on thick and started out shouting "IT'S A STORY ABOUT THE JETS.... AND THE SHARKS!" :thumbdown: - after which the audience roared with that anticipation applause that really gets your blood flowing when you're out there on the field on the "starting line".

The first corps I thought of was Garfield 1984. But then you'd have to include Phantom 82, and Suncoast 84.

Actually, it's a little ironic the more I think about it. They are calling a revival show revolutionary. Here we have Regiment performing the best of 82/83 with modern execution, and they are calling it revolutionary. I love the corps, but there is some humor there.

...and as for Cadets 05, they executed well, but it was a truly hot or cold show. You either loved that one or hated it, and it took a long time for the design issues to get fixed. However, when considering that show relative to its competition, dare I say that was a down year? I would argue that the top 3 from the past 3 years would have made a better champion in 05...

Suncoast Sound 1984

Sky Ryders '87. That show has to be one of, if not the, best show designs for a 12th place corps ever. To me, that was high art. At times it was as dirty as Britney Spears, but the design was fantastic story telling. Cadets '95 and PR '08 are certainly great examples of story telling also, but they were not revolutionary just for their story boards. They were revolutionary because the performances did not suffer because focus was only on style.

These two shows won because they perfectly married aggressive, gutsy, and innovative technical components with what I would call very old school story telling.

It was great to see.

Phantom in 81 and 82 did it best I think, with an very close-to-linear story line both years, using the ballet selections in show

Hey, Tom!

The 81 and 82 versions aren't exactly in the order of the original ballet, at least as far as my CD order goes. THe second drum solo is actually the last piece on my CD. AFAIK, it's in ballet order.

Garry in Vegas

Sky Ryders '87. That show has to be one of, if not the, best show designs for a 12th place corps ever. To me, that was high art. At times it was as dirty as Britney Spears, but the design was fantastic story telling. Cadets '95 and PR '08 are certainly great examples of story telling also, but they were not revolutionary just for their story boards. They were revolutionary because the performances did not suffer because focus was only on style.

These two shows won because they perfectly married aggressive, gutsy, and innovative technical components with what I would call very old school story telling.

It was great to see.

I seen people talking about the Sky Ryders 87 WSS Show so I had to take a look see for myself tonight. What a great Show. The story telling was great as was the emotion. :blink::thumbdown::blink::thumbup::music:

Dean

Hey, Tom!

The 81 and 82 versions aren't exactly in the order of the original ballet, at least as far as my CD order goes. THe second drum solo is actually the last piece on my CD. AFAIK, it's in ballet order.

Garry in Vegas

The 2nd drum solo is the battle with the Romans, and that's followed by the apotheosis, which is correct. Spartacus has to die before he's apotheosized.

Spartacus has to die before he's apotheosized.

Well. Doesn't THAT suck! :doh:

Now on to the topic at hand. I saw Cadets '05 and believe it is almost impossible to compare it to Regiment '08. It is story telling on completely different levels. The reality is, Cadets '05 pretty much "made up" the story, at least that is the consensus of those I was with. Spartacus was a known story so the connection was more easily accomplished. Cadets success, IMO, was not so much the story they told, but the program performed visually and musically. IMO, it is possible they could have done just as well with the music and visual aspect without telling a story. Whatever "connection" the Cadets acheived was (IMO) not a result of the "story" but the "performance of the musical and visual aspects of the show. I wasn't "drawn in" to their show, I was amazed at what they were doing (sans the story).

Regiment '06 & '08 drew you into the performance "emotionally." I can't say I was "emotionally involved" with Cadets '05. Others have mentioned Sky Ryders WSS. That show definately drew you in as did the Sound of Music show.

Revolutionary? Naw! Just a darn good show that got the recognition it deserved. :thumbup:

Edited by Rocketman