Blue Devils Reaction to Finals

Well, when you are a proffesional, you try to get to as close to it as you can. That doesn't mean forgoing the enjoyment of music.
(sic)

you ought to tell your friend, who said:

Finals night was truthfully the most heartbreaking night of my life. Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for

i know, and i think it is silly, because:

1 -- perfection is not possible;

2 -- basing your entire experience on whether or not you "win" is possibly the most superficial way to spend your life.

1 - As a friend of mine used to say "I feel sorry for perfectionists as they are very seldom satisfied". :thumbup:

2 - My "experience" was bringing a dead corps back on the field and I'm prouder of the first year (last at Prelims) than later when we made Finals.

On topic: Interesting how over the decades we've moved from style of music or certain songs to the way the corps play......

BD - awesome feet, awesome power in the horn line, have gotten away from jazz

Cadets - awesome execution, have the most awesome last 45-60 seconds of drill on the field

Phantom - classical, I enjoy their sound, but sometimes over done

Boston - elbows... but I guess not anymore?

Vanguard - ######

i dunno... IMO a lot of the corps (all?) are lacking in a real on-field identity now. I'm sure they all carry their lot identity with them still, but on the field... not so much. Corps I'm thinking of in this group include, but are not limited to: Spirit, Madison, Crossmen, Bluecoats

And i do judge class of an organization by the organization as a whole. One classless act is a lot...

say a corps repeats 3 letters over and over, they are said daily, they are publicly available to see on facebook, and they are antagonistic/derogatory towards another corps. Should we judge the corps that uses those 3 letters? Because I know a whole corps of ######## then.

say a corps repeats 3 letters over and over, they are said daily, they are publicly available to see on facebook, and they are antagonistic/derogatory towards another corps.

Are they necessarily derogatory or more of motivation for the members to do better and push themselves to get better and work harder?

(sic)

Well, how would you feel after losing an undefeated season? Personally, I would still be proud of performing a great show and having a great season but I sympathize with those that were frustrated.

Well, how would you feel after losing an undefeated season? well, that all depends. if you go all season undefeated and lose right at the end, then i would say you peaked before you should have and fell off the wagon a little too soon. not saying anyone slacked off, causing the corps to falter that tiny little bit, but either your corps didnt progress, or the corps that beat you was that much better. Personally, I would still be proud of performing a great show and having a great season but I sympathize with those that were frustrated. 100% agreed.

As an age-out member of the 2008 Blue Devils I would like to say a few things.

I'm completely offended by the things that some people on this forum can say about a group of KIDS that had their hearts broken. Some of you need to realize that this is not a professional sport, kids make mistakes. Kids say stupid things when they are upset. I could tell you about all of the snide and outright mean things said to me AND MY PARENTS after finals night, but I'm not. I lost my belief in this activity when my father was insulted only for having a son in the Blue Devils. Some of the other corps aren't as "funny" or "clever" as you think by the way.

The blind opinions about the Blue Devils are garbage.

The people who can be happy about kids having their hearts broken are garbage.

Makes me wanna puke.

When I started reading this post you had me wrapped around your little finger until…… you started taking jabs at another corps.

I can’t imagine the heat break BD felt loosing the title and dealing with the crowd’s excitement at Phantoms win. I guess it’s natural you would personalize that excitement and assume they were happy you lost. I don’t believe anyone in the audience that night intended to show any disrespect or lack of appreciation for the Blue Devils and the amazing show and summer they gave us. In truth we were all caught up in the excitement of a season that left us dizzy at the levels of excellence that had been achieved by so many corps. Even the fight for 12th left us in awe of the corps that didn’t make it to finals night and knowing we were witnessing a season that would be talked about for years to come.

But I wonder if you ever considered the emotions of all the other corps members standing on the field that night? As a Blue Devil, is not winning 1st a bigger disappointment to you than the members of other corps? Why, because you feel you worked harder, your show was better, you deserved it more? Something about this idea just seems off to me.

I guess my point is, it’s a competition. There will be winners and losers. Tears of joy and tears of heart break. By the time you reach finals night every corps member standing on the field as worked hard to reach perfection. The difference? The Blue Devils expected to win… Phantom did not…

Don’t dwell on your disappointment, think about what you achieved! Think of all the fun you had over the summer and the friends you made. Think of the excitement of competition and take some time to appreciate and respect the other corps on the field.

As an ex-Blue Knight parent I know all about being insulted (just read this thread) and I can somewhat empathize with your frustration. Heartbreak? I know what it’s like to watch my son’s corps booed by 30,000+ people because they just upset the crowd favorite. The guy behind me made it clear he was not a BK fan….I guess I had the last laugh.

Every corps parent and member most likely has a story of some horrible thing that happened or was said by some other terrible, no good, nasty corps or corps fan. We also have good stories of meeting other corps parents in the stands and sharing our experiences and complements. I have watched my son in the airport on the way home from finals make new friends by approaching someone wearing a member jacket and asking about their summer. The good, the bad, it’s all just part of good old fashion competition…..

Are they necessarily derogatory or more of motivation for the members to do better and push themselves to get better and work harder?

Derogatory.

SUTA > FYWW

The Blue Devils defeated the Cavaliers at the Indy show and dominated for the rest of the season, up to and including, all three nights of finals week. I think by then it would have been a forgone conclusion.

not after 3 straight years of world championships and for those members that started in 2000 and aged out in 2003 that must've been hard

(sic)

"Finals night was truthfully the most heartbreaking night of my life. Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for"

Ok, that honestly gets me really angry. You didn't complete the F***ing sentence. Let me do that for you, so you don't purposely give people the wrong idea. Here's the rest of it so you can stop your propaganda. I'm not usually this p###ed off on a forum, so look what you've done.

"Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for, it seemed like the whole world was ecstatic about our failure, as it seems like some members of this forum are."

To me, the second part of that could break anyones heart and make it a huge low point in their life. Add losing by .025 points (It would suck, it's not like that wouldn't create a small low point in anyone's life anyways), and you got two great ingredients for depression.

What you did, and so did a few other people, is why the world is so messed up today. The media especially does it, and so do politicians. Please just be honest and don't leave out any vital information.

Edited by Noname