Blue Devils Reaction to Finals

(P.S. the Texas Longhorns should have rightfully made it to the college football national championship over Oklahoma......extreme bias here lol)

/OT also

I was with you until that line. Want some cheese with that. :thumbup:

BOOMER SOONER! :doh:

True. But several things that they do just come off as silly to me. For example: their contra-line giving everybody the finger as they walk through the lot. Really? Are you guys that mature? Do you think that makes you look sooooooo cool? Because it doesn't. It just makes you look like what you are: a bunch of bandos that like to think they're acting bad*** or hardcore. No one is intimidated by you. You play a freaking tuba. Get over yourselves.

Sorry, gotta set this one straight.

I brought this up with a few of the guys who marched there the last few years, and they absolutely did not hold their horns intentionally like that. They got new horns this past year and just held them the same way they held the old horns they had...and had no idea that it gave the impression that they were flipping the bird. And had they even heard about it before finals day this past summer, they no doubt would've changed that hand position.

And you can doubt what I've just said and insist that it was intentional, but it was not.

As an age-out member of the 2008 Blue Devils I would like to say a few things.

I rarely read this forum, in fact this is the first time I have been on since finals night. I am deeply saddened and very offended by some of the views expressed in this thread about my corps. First off, I would like to apologize on behalf of myself and my corpsmates for any rude or classless behavior that any drum corps member or fan might have seen from us after finals night. I Play Baritone Good- Judging by your opinions, it seems that the Blue Devils have personally insulted you in some way. I apologize for this, and hope you give us another chance.

I'd like to tell the people who read this forum a few things about the Blue Devils, not the drum corps, but the members themselves. For the past few years the Blue Devils staff have started trying to create a new type of Blue Devil. The types of kids accepted in to the corps recently are a different breed than the Blue Devils of old. The staff are searching for younger kids with a better attitude and higher moral values. Did you know that the Blue Devils have a corps bible study group? There were around 50 members of the group this year. In case you didn't know we had 25 vets in the hornline this year. Mostly 2 years. How many did the cavaliers have? Can you imagine the pressure on all of those rookies, having to live up to the perfection expected of a Blue Devil every day? Hardly the bunch of scary ###### that for some reason most drum corps fans think we are. When I made the Blue Devils, I was shocked at how nicely I was treated as a rookie. Much nicer than my former corps. It's true, we have some members who can be jerks, but doesn't every corps? Please don't judge the entire membership of the corps on a few bad apples. We're doing our best to change.

We all know what happened finals night. Maybe some of you were expecting it. We sure weren't. We were a corps of mostly rookies, we worked so hard to be worthy of just being called Blue Devils. We thought that we had worked hard enough to attain our dream of being a World Champion. We had a chant on the Hound after we learned the score of every show we won. It went like this: "We're not that good! We're not that good!" We believed we could never stop working hard. A corps of rookies. Not a lot of experience, but tons of heart. I'm sorry we don't play emotional music, but don't think we don't have just as much heart as any other corps.

Finals night was truthfully the most heartbreaking night of my life. Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for, it seemed like the whole world was ecstatic about our failure, as it seems like some members of this forum are. Happy that the Regiment won their first solo championship, but even happier that it was the big bad Blue Devils that had been defeated at the end. It was the first time I had cried since I was 7. Our rookies were absolutely devastated. We felt like we had let Joe down. It was a very hard way to leave drum corps forever. Unfortunately, I will probably remember that night more than the night when I actually won the championship for the rest of my life.

I'm completely offended by the things that some people on this forum can say about a group of KIDS that had their hearts broken. Some of you need to realize that this is not a professional sport, kids make mistakes. Kids say stupid things when they are upset. I could tell you about all of the snide and outright mean things said to me AND MY PARENTS after finals night, but I'm not. I lost my belief in this activity when my father was insulted only for having a son in the Blue Devils. Some of the other corps aren't as "funny" or "clever" as you think by the way.

The blind opinions about the Blue Devils are garbage.

The people who can be happy about kids having their hearts broken are garbage.

Makes me wanna puke.

Honestly I dont agree with the behavior still after reading this. As a Cadets 2007 ageout, we beat the Devs the last weekend of the season, got booed off the field quarters by the west coast fans, came in striking distance at semis losing by half a tenth, and when we were announced 2nd finals night the place errupted for 2 reasons....1) because the home team won and 2) because the narrated hated Cadets lost. The last several days of my ageout season was an emotional roller coaster. That corps had the biggest ageout class of the Cadets long history.....and you don't think there was a massive desire for the 50+ ageouts to go out with a win? it was rough as well, BUT we didn't act immaturely and pout about it in front of 30 thousand people. We stood there and took our loss. Even with the Blue team cheering obnoxiously five feet away.

The Blue Devils of 08 had an upset happen. But Phantom won with Pride the same way the Blue Devils SHOULD HAVE took their loss. Now personally I thought the Blue Devils should have won in 2008. I was shocked by it as well. And after watching the DVD's I agree with their 2007 victory as bitter as I felt, they were the better drum corps. But regardless of the outcome, we're at the most professional level in our activity and we should act accordingly. Not like an immature high school marching band.

*twitch twitch twitch*

Yeah....it hurt a lot....I was a rook-out....had never even SEEN a corps live until 83 (so true BD rooks DO exist)

I cried in the retreat block....I cried outside the stadium...I cried hearing the crowd go nuts for Garfield's encore performance...a performance that had been ours at the last show before Nats.

I've always joked that anyone who marched 84 Garfield has my ring....but in truth, I got over it shortly thereafter....and six months later I had to admit that I LOVE the show that beat me.

I even have a picture with the 84 ring on my hand, courtesy of 84 Garfield Cymbal-slinger Dave Fowler from when he was out in L.A. for the holidays a few years back.

Yeah...we were ###### at losing by 1/10th -- the closest possioble score under the rules of the day (sound familiar?)...we won brass (let's be honest here...SCV and Garfield tied us!! :smile: ), drums (9/10ths over Garfield), guard (although it didn't count in the scores as a seperate caption back then), lost GE (Garfield 9/10th over us), and were 1/10th back in M&M (SCV and Garfield tied for that caption)...it WAS, in fact, the low point of my life....where not an hour before had been the highest...that's the nature of competition.

It's one thing for a corps just getting into the Saturday show to drop from 10th to 12th.....it's another for a multiple time champ to lose by such a close margin...the emotional charge is totally different.

Losing by a tenth sucks at the time....ask anyone else from 84 BD...or 87 SCV....or 93 Star

But if you think BD alums are all always classless....ask anyone from 84 Garfield about the BD member who congratulated them on their win as they marched back to their busses after the encore (they would've been in the front of the line....I said the congrats to Rich Armstrong, their DM...he heard and thanked me).

As for Regiment this year...yeah....I wanted BD to win...more for Joe than for anything else...I got MY thrill wqhen they won in 07 (50th anniversary, a year when I was instrumental in getting the alum group going, winning in California, and only 20 miles from my house), but I HAVE said ON THIS BOARD that I was happy for Regiment....the show was spectacular, emotional, theatrical (with no narration necessarry at any level), and I stood and yelled SUTA at the end durign the theater showing. 08 Regiment was and always will be a worthy champion.

But cust a little slack for those who feel the stung of losing after winning almost all year...that pain is not unique to BD.

Well said Sam! You are one of the reasons why I respect BD as much as I do.

Wow, were they really THAT bad?

My take,

Cavies - Good

Cadets - Militarily disciplined

BD - They know they're good

Crown - DCP's "baby"(or does that title belong to Phantom? :smile: )

Phantom - triumphant

That about sums it up.

Sorry, gotta set this one straight.

I brought this up with a few of the guys who marched there the last few years, and they absolutely did not hold their horns intentionally like that. They got new horns this past year and just held them the same way they held the old horns they had...and had no idea that it gave the impression that they were flipping the bird. And had they even heard about it before finals day this past summer, they no doubt would've changed that hand position.

And you can doubt what I've just said and insist that it was intentional, but it was not.

As one of the people who posted angrily in response to this issue, I am content with the explanation. Thank you for putting it out there.