Blue Devils Reaction to Finals

Here's my progression:

In 2007, I believe that the Blue Devils stole a championship from the Cadets. Don't get me wrong, both corps were great, but the Cadets had a harder show and did it just as well. If finals were anywhere else than the Rose Bowl, The Cadets probably would of won. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think the crowd won the show for the Blue Devils in 2007. In 2008, Phantom Regiment in my honest opinion stole a championship from the Blue Devils. Everybody knew it was going to happen. The judges, the crowd, the announcer, everyone. Phantom was phenomenal this year, but Phantom Regiment is DCIs baby because DCI is currently trying to keep its fans. If the "Big, Bad, Blue Devils" won, what would DCI have to celebrate? I mean honestly, when Phantom won, DCI.org went bazerk with "Phantom Wins!" and "Spartacus!" and all this attention that no other corps got when they won a championship. The crowd has won the past two championships IMO. If the crowd wanted the Blue Devils to win that night, they would of - it's that simple to me. This activity is losing respect because DCI is forced to let politics slip into the system to save this activity. It's getting ridiculous.

So to comment on the topic, I see this in two ways:

- I feel bad for the Blue Devils losing by .025 when they probably should of won

- I don't feel bad for the Blue Devils because they won in 2007 when I don't think they should of

I digress.

So even though Phantom has a ring that belongs to BD and BD has a ring that belongs to the Cadets, it's still not acceptable to act the way that a lot of corps acted on finals night. Show some class.

Here's my progression:

In 2007, I believe that the Blue Devils stole a championship from the Cadets. Don't get me wrong, both corps were great, but the Cadets had a harder show and did it just as well. If finals were anywhere else than the Rose Bowl, The Cadets probably would of won. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think the crowd won the show for the Blue Devils in 2007. In 2008, Phantom Regiment in my honest opinion stole a championship from the Blue Devils. Everybody knew it was going to happen. The judges, the crowd, the announcer, everyone. Phantom was phenomenal this year, but Phantom Regiment is DCIs baby because DCI is currently trying to keep its fans. If the "Big, Bad, Blue Devils" won, what would DCI have to celebrate? I mean honestly, when Phantom won, DCI.org went bazerk with "Phantom Wins!" and "Spartacus!" and all this attention that no other corps got when they won a championship. The crowd has won the past two championships IMO. If the crowd wanted the Blue Devils to win that night, they would of - it's that simple to me. This activity is losing respect because DCI is forced to let politics slip into the system to save this activity. It's getting ridiculous.

- I feel bad for the Blue Devils losing by .025 when they probably should of won

- I don't feel bad for the Blue Devils because they won in 2007 when I don't think they should of

I digress.

So even though Phantom has a ring that belongs to BD and BD has a ring that belongs to the Cadets, it's still not acceptable to act the way that a lot of corps acted on finals night. Show some class.

ummm... yeah... alrighty then... hmmm... first post. The line for the tin foil hats is on the left. Next!

Edited by skajerk

Touche. You made some very good and valid points there. Maybe I've just been seeing things differently because I know people who booed the Blue Devils once they were finished with there show on finals night, and I feel like there's just a bunch of negative energy going around about them, but I can't really argue with what you had to say.

That's it then, I submit. :smile:

The thing that got me going on about this (normally I wouldn't have gone into a debate like this, just observed), is that one person didn't provide all the details, and he was making it sound like the Blue Devils ageout was very disappointed over the fact that they lost, and nothing else. They didn't have the courtesy to finish their sentence, saying that they didn't feel well liked, which to me would be a horrible feeling.

you want negative, see the maroon team. what they get makes what Star got look like childs play.

Here's my progression:

I digress.

By that standard no corps ever won a title. They just slept the summer away and woke up on a Saturday evening to take the field and ###### the gold.

Here's my progression:

I digress.

politics huh. there must be two sets at war then. the visual side held Phantom down under BD for valid reasons. the music side had Phantom up for valid reasons. When you add all the numbers up, do the averages, align the stars, consult the farmers almanac and then get the final number...it created that spread.

so you're saying the music side was so biased against BD they made sure they had the spreads to overcome the obvious bias the visual side had for BD?

because when you break it down, the split between music and visual created the spread. so it kind of kills the politics and DCI's baby theory all to hell

ummm... yeah... alrighty then... hmmm... first post. The line for the tin foil hats is on the left. Next!

So your saying is that no one should listen to anyone's first post?

The post that is a major focus point of this thread was a user's first post.

I for one, agree that the Cadets should have overtaken BD in 2007...at least from Quarters, since that is all I witnessed live.

Come in thirteenth and tell me second is the worst.

Come in 13th twice. Once in your rookie year (by .1) and once in your age-out year.

The rookie year didn't hurt so much since we had never been in Finals before, plus it was my first year so I didn't know what I was missing. Age-out year - THAT sucked.

As an age-out member of the 2008 Blue Devils I would like to say a few things.

I rarely read this forum, in fact this is the first time I have been on since finals night. I am deeply saddened and very offended by some of the views expressed in this thread about my corps. First off, I would like to apologize on behalf of myself and my corpsmates for any rude or classless behavior that any drum corps member or fan might have seen from us after finals night. I Play Baritone Good- Judging by your opinions, it seems that the Blue Devils have personally insulted you in some way. I apologize for this, and hope you give us another chance.

I'd like to tell the people who read this forum a few things about the Blue Devils, not the drum corps, but the members themselves. For the past few years the Blue Devils staff have started trying to create a new type of Blue Devil. The types of kids accepted in to the corps recently are a different breed than the Blue Devils of old. The staff are searching for younger kids with a better attitude and higher moral values. Did you know that the Blue Devils have a corps bible study group? There were around 50 members of the group this year. In case you didn't know we had 25 vets in the hornline this year. Mostly 2 years. How many did the cavaliers have? Can you imagine the pressure on all of those rookies, having to live up to the perfection expected of a Blue Devil every day? Hardly the bunch of scary ###### that for some reason most drum corps fans think we are. When I made the Blue Devils, I was shocked at how nicely I was treated as a rookie. Much nicer than my former corps. It's true, we have some members who can be jerks, but doesn't every corps? Please don't judge the entire membership of the corps on a few bad apples. We're doing our best to change.

We all know what happened finals night. Maybe some of you were expecting it. We sure weren't. We were a corps of mostly rookies, we worked so hard to be worthy of just being called Blue Devils. We thought that we had worked hard enough to attain our dream of being a World Champion. We had a chant on the Hound after we learned the score of every show we won. It went like this: "We're not that good! We're not that good!" We believed we could never stop working hard. A corps of rookies. Not a lot of experience, but tons of heart. I'm sorry we don't play emotional music, but don't think we don't have just as much heart as any other corps.

Finals night was truthfully the most heartbreaking night of my life. Not only did we not attain our dream we had been working so hard for, it seemed like the whole world was ecstatic about our failure, as it seems like some members of this forum are. Happy that the Regiment won their first solo championship, but even happier that it was the big bad Blue Devils that had been defeated at the end. It was the first time I had cried since I was 7. Our rookies were absolutely devastated. We felt like we had let Joe down. It was a very hard way to leave drum corps forever. Unfortunately, I will probably remember that night more than the night when I actually won the championship for the rest of my life.

I'm completely offended by the things that some people on this forum can say about a group of KIDS that had their hearts broken. Some of you need to realize that this is not a professional sport, kids make mistakes. Kids say stupid things when they are upset. I could tell you about all of the snide and outright mean things said to me AND MY PARENTS after finals night, but I'm not. I lost my belief in this activity when my father was insulted only for having a son in the Blue Devils. Some of the other corps aren't as "funny" or "clever" as you think by the way.

The blind opinions about the Blue Devils are garbage.

The people who can be happy about kids having their hearts broken are garbage.

Makes me wanna puke.

Let me get in the "great post comment" line as well. Don't get too discouraged. I hope, for your sake, that you were there in 2007 too. Sounds like you deserved at least one happy flight home.