Things that Happened on Tour...

I'm not sure if this was intended to be a light-hearted thread, but...one of my best friends from high school died in a car accident while I was on tour in 05. Didn't find out for about a month...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Reagan that died in 04, very near the beginning of the season. A friend of mine called me about it while we were out at everydays (I was teaching at that point).

I remember coming back one season and wondering "Who the hell is Laci Peterson?" every time I'd walk past a newscast. This whole family had seemingly appeared out of nowhere, and I wondered if OJ wasn't hanging around the periphery somewhere; I couldn't think of any other reason they were national news.

The thing I remember most, though, was a pretty personal thing. Finals week of my ageout year, 03, we were at our housing about two hours away from Orlando, getting ready for II/III semis. One of the pit guys had managed to get an Internet connection to his laptop through his phone, and he let me check my e-mail. To my surprise, there were four or five e-mails from different people at my school. I read the message from my tuba teacher first...he was writing to tell me that the girl who had formed the brass quintet I'd played in for the previous two school years had been killed in a car accident on her way home from a music camp in North Carolina. The other e-mails were variations on the same thing...I found that her funeral had taken place earlier that same day. I sort of registered it vaguely and checked some other things before wandering outside. It didn't really hit me until I ended up talking with my brass caption head and telling him what happened...I was pretty torn up about it for a while. Our show that night ended up being rained out.

I don't know if this fits the thread exactly, but back in 1977 while we were waiting to perform I could hear the (then) Garfield Cadets do their on field warm-up. At the end they would play a short song that made everyone cheer. I had no idea what it was. When I finally saw the movie after the summer was over, I realized that it was the theme from Star Wars.

Wow, this sounded so much better in my head than it does in print. :tongue:

1976 - Nadia who? Did what?

I don't know if this fits the thread exactly, but back in 1977 while we were waiting to perform I could hear the (then) Garfield Cadets do their on field warm-up. At the end they would play a short song that made everyone cheer. I had no idea what it was. When I finally saw the movie after the summer was over, I realized that it was the theme from Star Wars.

Wow, this sounded so much better in my head than it does in print. :tongue:

>_> You could actually PLAY that back then? Must go back in time.

Tour 1977 - David Berkowitz was terrorizing New York as the "Son of Sam" killer, and was caught. Elvis died. Groucho died. We got disqualified.

Pretty crappy tour for news all the way around ... But we managed to hear about it.

1994 - OJ did what in a white SUV? It happened in June, I didn't find out about it until August.

1996 - We were at a regional at Camp Randall in Madison, and the announcer had a moment of silence for the victims of the bombing. He didn't say anything else about it. It wasn't until we started asking around that we found out that there had been a bombing at the Olympic Games in Atlanta that had happened a week before. Everyone was amazed that we had no clue what was going on about it.

My great grandmother died on tour in 01. My family "didn't want to worry me" so they were going to wait until I got home. but by mid August when I got home , it'd been a while and they forgot to tell me. I found out when I mentioned Gram's birthday coming up soon (beginning of september). "oh, Kassi, about that..."

I agree with the Soldja Boy thing. I had NO IDEA what was going on. I was playing at a pep rally and didn't get how everybody knew that dance.