DCA to DCI

DCA to DCI  

118 members have voted

1. 1. If any DCA corps could go DCI, which 1 do you think it would be?

• Buccaneers
    • Minnesota Brass
    • Empire Statesmen
    • Hurricanes
    • Caballeros
    • Bushwackers
    • Brigadiers
    • Renegades
    • CorpsVets
    • Crusaders
    • Alliance
    • Fusion Core
    • Chops Inc
    • SoCal Dream
    • Music City Legend
    • Kilties
    • Grenadiers
    • Govenaires
    • White Sabers
    • Carolina Gold
    • Gulf Coast Sound
    • Lakeshoremen
    • Frontier
    • Shenandoah Sound

Of course I am still entertained by the DCA corps, but people come on here trying to compare something that is not comparable...

Donny

AND !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God for the Difference. Both have something to offer. Both have Quality.

BUT!!!!

Just glad to still have the more, "FAN - CROWD", pleasing type shows of the DCA and the Alumni Corps form also. "For us that PREFER that type of show."

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AND !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God for the Difference. Both have something to offer. Both have Quality.

BUT!!!!

Just glad to still have the more, "FAN - CROWD", pleasing type shows of the DCA and the Alumni Corps form also. "For us that PREFER that type of show."

Yet they don't "clinic" the judges in DCA.

The corps may be different, but nationwide... they're all band judges. So good luck with THAT.

A wise old coach of mine once said, "DCA corps should be ENCOURAGED to be, and REWARDED for being, ENTERTAINING."

Yeah too bad that coach isnt around anymore.

I still try to arrange music the way HE would expect it.

Donny

Yeah too bad that coach isnt around anymore.

I still try to arrange music the way HE would expect it.

Donny

AND ...

I don't know if there are official statistics on this, but it seems the crowds for the Alumni show are bigger and DCA Finals attendance is leveling off.

Normally I would laugh with you but the line between many of the DCA corps and the DCI corps is getting thinner by the day.

'bout time to. :cool:

'bout time to. :cool:

I'm not attacking you here, but indulge me for a sec. :cool:

How does it benefit either circuit to have a homogenized DCA product that tries to be "DCI Lite"?

Case in point: I wasn't terribly familiar with DCA corps, but I got the 2006 and 2007 DVD's for Christmas from my sister-in-law since they were only 25 bucks a pop. I found myself watching those far more than the 2008 DCI DVD's over the past week.

Why?

I found things that I hadn't seen in DCI in years, or, in some cases, ever: the wailing Statesmen sops of Pero and Price, the Caballeros "RUMP", and so on. . .I took the time to read up on the corps histories, the personalities therein, and now I'm headed to a DCA Finals for the first time in 2009 after years of sitting on the fence and wondering if DCA was where I should be. I know now that it is after immersing myself in it the past few days. . . even my wife (who knows nothing about music) was taken with "how different it is from DCI".

Not "better". Not "worse". But, "different".

That, and the "entertainment first" mantra, is, IMO, DCA's draw. :sad:

I think it's cool to have another circuit full of its own history, its own quirks and its own media that I can get into. If the majority of corps moved towards a less-well executed aping of the junior product, it would diminish the DCA brand, IMO.

If there wasn't the Statesmen wailing, the Cabs unique show concepts and all the other things that make DCA its own animal, frankly . . .I'd be a little distraught.

While I see certain corps like the Buccaneers and Brigadiers borrowing from the junior side somewhat (I'm not going to argue the points that some of the Bucs championship shows are more like junior tribute shows done really, really well . . and that's cool with me. Their 2009 show concept sounds awesome . . .), I don't think that it's in the circuits best interest to make everyone fit a certain mold, as the junior circuit seems to in some instances.

Anyway, I can understand your point-of-view: people who work both sides of the fence might feel like their hands are tied a bit creatively with no access to amping cool pit sounds, or adding electronics or whatever . . .but I think there's some validity in letting the circuit go its own path.

Who knows . . .as todays marchers age out and come into DCA, perhaps amplification will show up in five or ten years . . . or maybe those that age into DCA in the future will decide that they want a different marching experience from the junior one and keep amps out for the next twenty or thirty years.

When I watched the "Behind The Scenes" features on the DVD's, I kept noticing how everyone . . .from Allen Buell, to Fred Windish, Gil Silva and on through all the drum majors all made sure to acknowledge the audience, the fans, and mention the entertainment factor of their shows or the circuit in general.

Whatever happens to DCA, I sincerely hope that will never, ever change. . . 'cause it sure as hell drew me in.

Signed,

DCA Newbie :cool:

I always find the "so and so is just rehashing DCI shows" comments hilarious. For better or worse, there are very few corps in DCA doing much original. It's more a question of what decade they happen to be rehashing. Playing music performed by Phantom Regiment or SCV in the last few years is "rehashing" while playing something that Madison or BD or Regiment played in 1987 is totally cool.

It's not the originality or lack thereof that bothers people, it's the arranging and design style. Just say so.

We would all get our buts kicked. DCI is a different animal

I agree. Senior corps is a totally different arena. Someone told me if you had all the DCA top 10 corps compete with DCI top World class corps, DCA corps would line up about somewhere around 18th and on down under the juniors. Senior corps stands for something different. Yeah, its competitive, but its intended for people with "lives" to participate in drum corps.

DCI corps members live only to play. Once they age out, then they get to their lives. Most members of corps like BD, SCV, etc are full time college students who dont really have to worry about things like "what am i going to do with my life?" Those kids are able to commit their lives for months on end to doing one thing that they love. I'm sure there are the few stragglers in DCI that bust their butts to survive outside of drum corps, but the way it works nowadays, you really cant do anything else during the summer.

Senior corps are for people that may not want to, or may not be able to commit their lives to performing. But, you'd better believe that the limited time we have to practice, we put our souls into it. Then, after practicing and performing, we have rent, bills, etc due. So, I think the thought of which corps should kick out its aged-out members to cross over is kinda backwards. My question is, which junior corps would embrace a new idea, knock down the age barrier, and come over to the dark side?!?!?!?!

I disagree. The visual demand is only slightly more demanding between the Bucs and Alliance or BDB and SCVC. I think the Bucs are achieving a MUCH better brass sound than BDB or SCVC and Alliance's drumline could definitely rival those two as well. As for World Class, I don't think the Academy's visual book was that much more demanding (if at all) than the Bucs or Alliance. I think DCA corps could pull off some "upsets." It would just take all of the pieces lining up.

Keep in mind how well Magic did in 2002, and there was zero jazz running done. It can be done with a good design.

Having seen all of the open and world class DCI corps and the A class and open class DCA corps.....I believe the best the Bucs's could have placed in 2008 is ahead of Pioneer and the Mandarins. It's a bit tough to know if Buc's drums would be have beaten SCV Cadets or not....close.

As someone mentioned....you are comparing apples and oranges...they are both sort of round....but that's about it.

PS

This is not intended to take anything away from the Buc's....there is no doubt they are a very high quality corps....