Best/Favorite Ballad

Cadets use of battery percussion in the ballad was groundbreaking, making a beautiful moment even more powerful. No disregard to Bluecoats, but they didn't make 1/2 the impact.

Funny, a lot of people are mentioning 05 Cadets, but not 02 Bluecoats, which was the same piece. I guess a 99.15 will do that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the 05 Cadets version is just phenomenally put together in terms of a design and a performance standpoint. The 02 Bluecoats just don't have the same "aura" or power that the Cadets had.

I'd agree with:

Cadets 84

PR 93

And add one that no one has mentioned (unless I missed it) - Madison 95 - The incredibly nuanced soloist playing the Concierto de Aranjuez.

Even though I am not a huge fan of Carolina Crown, Clair de Lune was beautifully done, and basically my favorite portion of their 08 show (minus the first impact moment, which was undoubtedly a really cool moment in drum corps).

There is one thing I do wish though... I wish that I could hear more of all 16 of those contras. I just don't feel like they had the presence that they should have had with around 20% of their horn line playing tuba. Just my humble opinion. :tongue:

I am kind of shocked we didn't have a mention of Boston 2000 until Page 6. Tearjerking moment there.

Carolina Crown in 1999 another one that won't get much credit, but it was gourgeous.

BD 95 in their dark year was a pretty intense moment.

My first Finals in 94, BD My Spanish Heart. I swear they wrote that piece starting with the high note backfield and then wrote the rest of the piece around that.

97 Academie closer from Andrew Lloyd Webber's Requiem was beautiful.

Les Etoiles in their D2 Championship year of 96. Brought it back in 97 but was played better the first time.

Phantom 93 FOEG was classic Phantom.