Shows you would like to see done...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go check out fantasymarchingarts.com to see a LOT of show ideas that are out there including a few of mine:

Civilization: The Beginnings of Life

Opening Theme from Civilization IV (Computer game)

The rest would be original music.

Christmas in July Music from Polar Express

Classics on the field Music from Casablanca, Young Frankenstein and Shawshank Redemption.

Internet Phenomenon: Numa Numa, Chicken Dance, Peanut Butter Jelly Time, FAIL! (Calling Velvet Knights)

How 'bout "Age of Empires" or music from "1492" to supplement that show...?

-TGB

So crazy, they might just work... And retain "educational" value:

Let's see... Rock and or Roll... Some ideas for shows - most might/could be picked up by VK... But all is fair in repertoire and drum corps...

1) An amusement park show featuring "Roller coasters", "Fun/haunted House", "Carnival Games", "Carousels", etc. nice follow-up show to Glassmen's "carnival" theme of '08? Could incorporate "Thriller"???

2) Since we can now use electronics... Get a Hammond Organ and one of those sweet retro rotating Amps! ...Then play the Beach Boys or Ides of March.

3) PLAY WEEZER!!! For the love of all that is musical - I'd settle for the Pumpkins or RHCP, or Radiohead though...

4) Also since pianos can be duplicated electronically, bring back the "Ragtime" ala BD 2002

5) Do something with a live DJ and two turntables... utilize a "Hype-guy" - play some hip hop, make the horns and drums learn to "pop"; borrow moves from "America's Best Dance Crew". Word.

Let's get "classy" now... These go out to some corps from Rockford - not that they ever listen to me... but anyone with a symphonic bent is welcomed to these:

1) Bring on the Grieg! Do a show about the fiords, trolls, and Norwegian mythology - Play numerous bits from Peer Gynt, inc. but not just Mountain King. Use a stunning visual interplay of navy blue and light pink.

2) The entire ballet "Rodeo" ....Calling the 11th Ohio Cavalry...

3) A Bollywood show - contemporary Mumbai follow-up to Scheherezade??? Maybe Crown?

4) Regiment ONLY: The "oriental" operas of Puccini. (OK, I guess SCV, can steal...)

OK people that matter... Contact me when you've written the shows, I'll draw the uniforms... Ready... GO!

-TGB

Bernstein's MASS, presented in a way that resembles the actual production. Have a baritone soloist be the center of the show. Dress him in priest's vestments. Separate the corps into the church choir and the street choir.

The only narration I think that would be necessary would be someone saying, "Mass has ended. Go in peace." at the very end.

This would have to be a very progressive show. I think you'd have to toss aside (or at least get very creative with) the convention of the uniform to make it work. However, I really think you could pull off, in a minimal way, the central message of the work.

The Ring Cycle in 12 Minutes. Kinda like "What's Opera, Doc?" :D

Rite of Spring, conceptualized as a 12-minute ballet staged by a drum corps. Seriously. With the way guard is now, you could seriously make the argument for calling this show a ballet. The guard would be the feature of this show, for sure.

i suggested Phantom do "what's Opera, Doc?" last year but they didn't listen

Lincolnshire Posy.

-Tchaikovsky's Capriccio Italian

-Rachmanioff's - Piano Concerto 2- Second Movement. ...this one may be tough to pull off, but could be incredible if done well.

-And mentioned earlier, Belshazzar's Feast. I am with you on bringing this back.

(*Hoping the Star Alumni will have some elements of this show in their 2010 exhibition).

-Also anything else from William Walton - I think 1993 SCV had a good concept for it.

-Gypsy Kings. Anything from these guys. Madison please.