Spartans bankruptcy / discussion

Thanks to the news feed, I saw that Spartans have canceled their rehearsal this weekend, however, I also checked, and they have pulled down their calendar as well as the entire rehearsal schedule... Seems that problems aren't going away as many expected they would?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i was more saying it for the people that doubted over a million in debt wouldn't incur serious problems with the tour, season, etc.

I have a strong feeling that we will have conclusive news soon. I'm not going to perpetuate unsubstantiated rumors, though after speaking with some members, this corps is hanging on by the skin of its teeth. Something big may happen soon with Peter Laflamme.

Edited by wickedpissah

Dear dcp-ers,

I am a member of this year and the previous. It's been the greatest experience of my life with Spartans even though there was only 13 last year in the hornline. I'm not on here to be like "oh come do Spartans" or "get your kids to do Spartans". I'm hear to say that we have financial problems mostly because of last year. We had a small horn line because last year the staff left for whatever reason(it doesn't matter. they did. no need to argue why. it happened). Then the rumors started. "will Spartans fold?" "what's going to happen to Spartans?" "are they fielding?" Everyone and their mother wanted to know. We made the decision to field and started our camps. We tried recruiting as hard as we could. Then we came on here to read stuff like "Spartans is probably going to fold". I don't know if you guys know how much rumors like that effect a corps. you can come on here and read all this great stuff about all these other corps but anything about Spartans is something along the lines of "they suck". People who are actually marching or don't know where to march come on here and reading negative stuff like that turns them away from us. We would have been fine and made finals if we had more people or you know...maybe a contra player. That would have been helpful. But that didn't happen and we were stuck with our 13 and made it to at least semis. People us wanted to do good, but not enough.

Finals and all that ended and we went home for the fall. During the end of the summer and beginning of fall, we got quiet possibly the best staff available. Tom Aungst, Jason Medeiros, Joe Taylor, Jason Nealy, and Ian Flint are working with us this year. These guys together along with other amazing staff could make this the best drum corps season Spartans has seen. That might not happen if we don't get the support we need. I'm not saying pay money or give us members. All I am saying is stop trash talking my home.

Spartans is where I live. It's what I consider my home. I rather be dying in the summer with these people than being at a 5 star resort in Hawaii. You know if you have marched how much corps means to you. You know that would do anything in your power to make sure that your corps keeps going strong. You get mad if people trash talk your corps. Spartans is the same way. Even if you don't agree with what decisions had/will be made, do you really think it's respectable to say stuff about us? Especially if you aren't nor ever been involved with the corps.

The summer I have marched had been the best experience of my life. I ruined my knee, I almost died(like legit), I developed sports asthma and yet, with all of that I would give anything to march Spartans again. It may not have been the best year for the corps but we still did it. We marched a 13 person hornline and made it to semis. We fit the entire corps on one bus that always broke down. We did it together and that is what makes it important. We suffered through everything together and by the time semis came around and we had done our last performance, we had felt like we just won finals. It was the best show all season even though we got up at 3am to drive 2 hours to get there. I personally cried my eyes out because I was so happy with what we had done. Spartans had proved with no matter what obstacles life was going to throw at us, we were going to push until the end.

If you don't support the administration, at least support the staff because they are fantastic or better yet support the kids. These are the kids that put heart and soul in what they do like all drum corps members. It's about getting together in the middle of the summer and doing what you love with a family. I know people can say "oh they can just go some place else" but you know what? I don't want to. I started this journey with Spartans and I want to continue it with Spartans. I don't want it to be over nor will I believe that it will be over. I will always believe Spartans is still as strong as ever. Maybe less people but the passion is still there. The heart is still there. The determination is still there. Spartans will never die. Not to me.

To Sunblock_Sweat,

Your response to the whole Spartans situation really hit a chord for me.

It's been years since I marched and I felt every word you wrote.

Know that even though alot of what you are reading and hearing is bad don't ever loose that

love and honor you have for the corps.

Thanks for letting many of us out here know your feelings...it is important at this time to do so.

Keep the faith..whatever happens we all know that you have honored your corps!

Blessings to you!

Dear dcp-ers,

I am a member of this year and the previous. It's been the greatest experience of my life with Spartans even though there was only 13 last year in the hornline. I'm not on here to be like "oh come do Spartans" or "get your kids to do Spartans". I'm hear to say that we have financial problems mostly because of last year. We had a small horn line because last year the staff left for whatever reason(it doesn't matter. they did. no need to argue why. it happened). Then the rumors started. "will Spartans fold?" "what's going to happen to Spartans?" "are they fielding?" Everyone and their mother wanted to know. We made the decision to field and started our camps. We tried recruiting as hard as we could. Then we came on here to read stuff like "Spartans is probably going to fold". I don't know if you guys know how much rumors like that effect a corps. you can come on here and read all this great stuff about all these other corps but anything about Spartans is something along the lines of "they suck". People who are actually marching or don't know where to march come on here and reading negative stuff like that turns them away from us. We would have been fine and made finals if we had more people or you know...maybe a contra player. That would have been helpful. But that didn't happen and we were stuck with our 13 and made it to at least semis. People us wanted to do good, but not enough.

Finals and all that ended and we went home for the fall. During the end of the summer and beginning of fall, we got quiet possibly the best staff available. Tom Aungst, Jason Medeiros, Joe Taylor, Jason Nealy, and Ian Flint are working with us this year. These guys together along with other amazing staff could make this the best drum corps season Spartans has seen. That might not happen if we don't get the support we need. I'm not saying pay money or give us members. All I am saying is stop trash talking my home.

Spartans is where I live. It's what I consider my home. I rather be dying in the summer with these people than being at a 5 star resort in Hawaii. You know if you have marched how much corps means to you. You know that would do anything in your power to make sure that your corps keeps going strong. You get mad if people trash talk your corps. Spartans is the same way. Even if you don't agree with what decisions had/will be made, do you really think it's respectable to say stuff about us? Especially if you aren't nor ever been involved with the corps.

The summer I have marched had been the best experience of my life. I ruined my knee, I almost died(like legit), I developed sports asthma and yet, with all of that I would give anything to march Spartans again. It may not have been the best year for the corps but we still did it. We marched a 13 person hornline and made it to semis. We fit the entire corps on one bus that always broke down. We did it together and that is what makes it important. We suffered through everything together and by the time semis came around and we had done our last performance, we had felt like we just won finals. It was the best show all season even though we got up at 3am to drive 2 hours to get there. I personally cried my eyes out because I was so happy with what we had done. Spartans had proved with no matter what obstacles life was going to throw at us, we were going to push until the end.

If you don't support the administration, at least support the staff because they are fantastic or better yet support the kids. These are the kids that put heart and soul in what they do like all drum corps members. It's about getting together in the middle of the summer and doing what you love with a family. I know people can say "oh they can just go some place else" but you know what? I don't want to. I started this journey with Spartans and I want to continue it with Spartans. I don't want it to be over nor will I believe that it will be over. I will always believe Spartans is still as strong as ever. Maybe less people but the passion is still there. The heart is still there. The determination is still there. Spartans will never die. Not to me.

With all due respect, no one is trash-talking you. Trash talking is "Man, Spartans suck, they need to just give it up now," that sort of thing. There are a lot of people on here who have seen corps get into situations like this, and it's generally because something is seriously wrong on the management side of things. No one expects you to change how you feel about the situation, but a critical eye is definitely deserved for those running your show, especially now that some form of local government investigation is under way. I don't expect you to cast Spartans aside, but neither are people here going to stop saying "Something is very fishy with Spartans" just to try to let them keep recruiting even while their business side self-destructs.

Sunblock,

I whole heartedly agree with everything that you have said. I have marched and instructed drum corps for a number of years, and I understand what you're going through. I've marched through small seasons and championship seasons with the Spartans. I've taught smaller corps with financial struggles worse than Spartans, but no one cares about those corps. The reason why this corps is under so much conversation is because people DO care about the corps. I think that people need to understand that the vast majority of people on here are looking out for the members. The few that are knocking the Spartans in a distasteful way shouldn't be posting irresponsible things, and should receive a warning or banning of some kind for direct unfounded bashing and personal attacks. I understand your kinship and honor with the other people in that corps, and it is very touching, because I have the same feeling for those who I have marched with in the past, and they are still my best friends to the day. However, all the suffering that you speak of is due to the irresponsibility of the administration with the corps money. The point being here is that you don't HAVE to suffer. No one should have to suffer. Everyone deserves a full meal after a long day of rehearsal, not just 3 rounds of PBJ in a given day. And the problem here is not with the staff, not with the members, but the administration for keeping the staff and the members in the dark. Because you're absolutely right, that you deserve better, and the instructional staff deserves better than being mistreated by a financially reckless administration. This is coming from someone who went through it. Much love, and keep strong, but don't be afraid to ask questions, don't let people mistreat and abuse your loyalty, don't let them abuse the determination and the heart that all of you members and instructional staff are showing.

Edited by wickedpissah

i dont think you see anyone trash talking the Spartans. i think you see many people rooting for the corps, very worried for the corps, and yes much speculation.

of course if the corps could actually come out and be more forthright with whats going on, that may help kill many rumors

you can come on here and read all this great stuff about all these other corps but anything about Spartans is something along the lines of "they suck".

I have not seen that on this thread or any others. I see anger directed at management which apparently is behind a lot of the problems but not the corps or the members. Other corps have had problems in the past and the ones that survived usually were the ones who faced them honestly and dealt with them as such.

Spartans will never die. Not to me.

Speaking as someone who joined a corps that reformed after disbanding and is now no longer competing this is a good attitude. Just remember pointing out problems is not hating, as the first step in solving problems is pointing them out. Also remember ignoring problems only makes things worse for the corps.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari