Cadets 2009 to Focus on WSS

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.....unless this is a VERY strange WSS...I'm not sure why you would see a "brawd" (???) sing "Maria, I just met a girl named Maria". :thumbup:

Peronally, if the Cadets ARE to do a lot of WSS, I'd like to see a Tony/Maria micced vocal duet on "Tonight".

Oh yeah. "Tick!"

I guess it wouldn't make a difference to point out that the piano is a percussion instrument?

A real piano maybe, but a synth making a piano sound is definitely no more a percussion instrument than it is a woodwind when making a saxaphone sound.

Peronally, if the Cadets ARE to do a lot of WSS, I'd like to see a Tony/Maria micced vocal duet on "Tonight".

There are any number of high schools doing WSS this year, Mike. If watching non-professionals sing it really floats your boat, go for it.

But if you're operating under the delusion that drum corps ever has produced anything better than high school-quality singing, then you need to get out more - literally. :thumbup:

Edited by mobrien

There are any number of high schools doing WSS this year, Mike.

Now, now . . .hold on a second. I don't think you understand the molto brilliante idea that could gestate out of all this:

What if . . .this "jazz piano" Hop's talking about was a person?

125192952_bed343deb4.jpg

Why, they could put them out on the 50, and have the "living piano" tell us alllll about Leonard Bernstein and the "West Side Story".

Perhaps even sing a little bit while dancing on a prop set that was constructed specifically for "Mr. Living Piano"!

Narration full of how he was that old piano that Lenny Bernstein sat at, tinkling around . . .wow!

The talking jazz piano.

Think about it.

. . .oh God, I just scared myself. :thumbup:

Thinking about this in terms of a new generation of dci marchers and potetential marchers, I really wonder how many of them might not have ever been exposed to much WSS at all. When I was younger, I know that dci shows turned me onto a bunch of different pieces that I might never have listened to otherwise.

In short, while I don't care to ever hear WSS in any way on a field ever again, this looks to me like the opportunity to appeal to dinosaurs (rawr :thumbup:)who pine for tradition, and also to noobs (relatively speaking) for whom WSS really will be fresh and exciting.

That's such a disappointment. I was really hoping for some "undiscovered Bernstein", or perhaps something like 1990 that covered a spectrum of Bernstein repertoire. Maybe they'll surprise me, but it's hard to see what they could add to the other half million WSS shows that have been done by this point.

"Undiscovered Bernstein" was a fantastic show, one of my favorites from the Cadets. I was also hoping for something more like this when they first made their show announcement. I have faith though that they will still put on a great show this season, and I'm still excited to see what all they have in store.

Hmm.....unless this is a VERY strange WSS...I'm not sure why you would see a "brawd" (???) sing "Maria, I just met a girl named Maria". :laughing:

This would be a TERRIBLE idea in my opinion. Cadets certainly don't need anymore negativity with singing being the catalyst.

I absolutely HATE WSS for drum corps. But I am gonna wait and see what happens when the season rolls around.

so who wants to bet they'll be singing the whole show?

Im gonna guess they'll try to do the whole act out musical in 11 minutes. Like the Sparknotes version of WSS.

so who wants to bet they'll be singing the whole show?

Im gonna guess they'll try to do the whole act out musical in 11 minutes. Like the Sparknotes version of WSS.

I wanna bet that you'll never stop with these silly posts.