BOA in danger of "not existing" . . .

To the above porter. Most BOA groups that I know have very strong booster programs.

True..I was answering to the assertion that the school district paid for the expenses I mentioned.

However, the band programs (usually through the boosters) are charging their students band fees (many times in the four-figure range) to cover expenses. Even with the option of 'working it off' I am not sure this is ethical for the public school arena.

I know, OT...forgive me. I haven't taken my Mydol yet... :thumbs-up:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to High School at McAdory, which is in Jefferson County, Alabama. Jefferson Co. Is the biggest school system in the state of Alabama with 66 public schools alone. Majority of them are high schools with football teams. If i am not mistaken all of the High Schools in Jefferson County all had Band Programs.

We had the same uniforms ever since I started middle school. the year after I graduated - 2001, The Senator help the band purchase new uniforms.

As for instrument repair, We had a marching baritone, that had more tape on it than the drummer's sticks. it didn't get replaced till after I graduated.

I would have loved to be able to be in a school that did BOA/MFA.

Anything we played in Marching band was 60's / 70's rock. We went out on a limb my junior year and played an all jazz show. it was well received by the audience. but we weren't in an area that had ANY BOA Bands.

Our Director didn't like to challenge us during Marching Band cause it was soley for the purpose of entertainment for the football crowds. Alabama is all about some football.

Now our concert programs were always very challenging. I enjoyed concert season. We did alot of Holsinger, R. W. Smith, King, Padillia, Holst, Dvorak, and a few others. We always did really well and went on a Spring trip.

We never marched at a competition outside of the tri county area.

BOA - if it stays financially sound, would be a great thing to bring into Alabama. Alot of the bands would become better and would make bands alot more important in this state due to the fact that budgets are always being cut due to proration and the music/arts depts. are always the first thing to go.

I now live in Mobile Co. which is the State's 2nd largets school system. It is alot different down here seeing as Mobile has Mardi Gras. Bands get Paid by the societies to march in their parades. booster programs are strong but with one of the weakest economys in Alabama right now due to a lack of landing deals that the government screwed up. Bands would be better if BOA was in Alabama, Mobile has some of the LARGEST Bands in Alabama. MGM Marches around 125 musical instruments, with a guard and dance line. Baker HS, Also has a huge program topping over the 100+ mark. Murphy High School has a huge band program and are internationally known. They just went to Austrailia.

All in all. If BOA/DCI/WGI merge. i see it as a positive. it could help the Corps out by being able to recruit more and grow membership and alumni. it could help the HS Band programs out by giving them a chance to excell in something that obiviously is a big draw to students here, being in marching programs. Gives them the chance to grow as students but as individuals, and gives them the chance to be prepared for a Drum Corps Audition.

True..I was answering to the assertion that the school district paid for the expenses I mentioned.

However, the band programs (usually through the boosters) are charging their students band fees (many times in the four-figure range) to cover expenses. Even with the option of 'working it off' I am not sure this is ethical for the public school arena.

Our kids paid about 500 this past season to belong to MB...that covered band camp (the largest single cost), meals we provided for the season, and costs for an overnight trip to USSBA Nationals at Annapolis...hotel, dinner cruise, and coach bus for the trip.

The district budget covered all other transportation costs (school busses). The district also pays for 99% of instrument costs...the boosters might cover some small items we need quickly, plus the cost of flags and any props we use (none this year).

The district also covers four staff positions..director, asst director, guard and percussion directors.

Oh, the district also pays me for the wind and percussion charts and the written visual design/guard work. Used to be out of the text book accounts...not sure if that holds true today.

BOA - if it stays financially sound, would be a great thing to bring into Alabama. Alot of the bands would become better and would make bands alot more important in this state due to the fact that budgets are always being cut due to proration and the music/arts depts. are always the first thing to go.

They have one of their biggest regionals of the year in Georgia. It cant be that hard to travel there can it?

no, that was the point....USSBA wanted to take over the show, the lineup is large enough. this show has been very succesful and has ran for years and caters to the local schools. the closest "names" that I can figure are about 3 hours away. The point of the show is to give a show to these smaller districts...and to give the University band another great day!

then you did what you felt was right for your show.

but as a business man can you blame him for wanting to get involved?

I do know his discount period for show fees is running out.....$2600 gets you 4 judges and 3 administrators. for just under $2500, TOB has a full ACC's panel...6 main captions, 5 specials, t and p and tab. granted he's paying more for travel for some of his judges, but to me, TOB seems more affordable

My concern is what all this means about the future of music education in America. If this is a harbinger of things to come, BOA wouldn't be the only band activity in jeopardy. Many districts have already eliminated instrumental and vocal programs in an attempt to save on staffing costs.

How many of us would have far a less rich quality without the music programs we were offered when we were in school?

under NCLB, you already see arts suffering. the only thing important ( other than football and basketball) is the classes that teach the kids the standardized tests that if the kids do well enough on, the schools get state/federal money.

Our kids paid about 500 this past season to belong to MB...that covered band camp (the largest single cost), meals we provided for the season, and costs for an overnight trip to USSBA Nationals at Annapolis...hotel, dinner cruise, and coach bus for the trip.

The district budget covered all other transportation costs (school busses). The district also pays for 99% of instrument costs...the boosters might cover some small items we need quickly, plus the cost of flags and any props we use (none this year).

The district also covers four staff positions..director, asst director, guard and percussion directors.

Oh, the district also pays me for the wind and percussion charts and the written visual design/guard work. Used to be out of the text book accounts...not sure if that holds true today.

I will have to say that in my experience, this is quite unusual, especially in the area where I live (Tennessee), to have the district actually paying for instruments, guard and percussion staff, and the writing/flags/props. And at most districts, even transportation.

Actually, the $500 fee seems to be reasonable compared to the average BOA band fee I have seen here.

There are several school boards in this state starting to rumble about these student fees, however...and some legal precedent developing that could make them illegal in the public scholastic activities that are connected to a class.

i just love teaching to the test. so much for college prep and creative thinking...if you have time to squeeze it in. teach 'em just enough to not slobber on themselves and do the factory work! NCLB at its finest!

/rant off

Actually, if you study the writings of Thomas Dewey and others who designed the educational model this nation runs under this is not too far off of their original intent of public education...I think Dewey's paraphrase was 'to develop young people to be a service in today's society....much like worker bees!'

OT..Again, the Mydol has not taken effect... :thumbs-up:

btw, it's been a while, and i've slept since then...but don't you mean John Dewey or am I just too tired to think?

yikes! my master's degree in education must be showing again. better put it away.

Tennessee, egh? what part of the state?

mydol, schmydol. take something stronger. i prefer a good gin & tonic myself. but i do have some walker black and glenlivet in the cabinet.

Edited by chaos001