Other non-talent related criteria for being cut....

I have found the 'Cut because I'm fat' thread very interesting. I have been a little surprised by some of the comments.

I am surprised that a good amount of people think that it is appropriate to consider size/weight when making audition decisions.

I am surprised that so many people called out Corps because they happened to have people of size in the guards.

Many of these people have said that having members of size impact visual design and possibly impact the quality of the show.

So, I was thinking that in using that logic....

If a Corps was going to do show with a West Side Story theme, should the guard only have White & Puerto Rican guard members?

If a Corps was going to do an Asian themed show, should the guard only have Asian members?

If a Corps was going to do an Irish themed show, should the guard only have Irish members?

Discuss.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found the 'Cut because I'm fat' thread very interesting. I have been a little surprised by some of the comments.

I am surprised that a good amount of people think that it is appropriate to consider size/weight when making audition decisions.

I am surprised that so many people called out Corps because they happened to have people of size in the guards.

Many of these people have said that having members of size impact visual design and possibly impact the quality of the show.

So, I was thinking that in using that logic....

If a Corps was going to do show with a West Side Story theme, should the guard only have White & Puerto Rican guard members?

If a Corps was going to do an Asian themed show, should the guard only have Asian members?

If a Corps was going to do an Irish themed show, should the guard only have Irish members?

Discuss.

Well, I suppose you could say Cavvies and Madison have refused people for being the 'wrong body type'. Well, maybe 2 exceptions for Madison.

Discuss.

I just learned a new term. "People of size."

Ahhhh. PC speak perfected. If you're skinny are you a person of no size? Or size-mically gifted? How about sizemically challenged? Sizemically enhanced? Sizemically endowed?

Anyway, you can be cut for having the "wrong attitude." So that's pretty whimsical. Why not for any other reason?

I think the cavies have a 5'5 to 6'5 height requirement. Correct me If im wrong

That's a no. They had a mello player for the past 4-5 years that was what? 5 foot even? He was a hos of a mello player.

People are chosen for parts in movies based on looks, ethnicity, ability to do certain stunts, height, type of voice, etc., etc. Why can't a corps do the same?

(BTW, my son cannot be considered for a position in some corps because of his age (not that he is looking). They prohibit anyone under 17. And he has four years of DCI experience already. Is that age discrimination?)

Edited by kansasDC

People are chosen for parts in movies based on looks, ethnicity, ability to do certain stunts, height, type of voice, etc., etc. Why can't a corps do the same?

(BTW, my son cannot be considered for a position in some corps because of his age (not that he is looking). They prohibit anyone under 17. And he has four years of DCI experience already. Is that age discrimination?)

Ok, I'm 53, fat, live too far away from most corps and I have a bad attitude. Can I sue for discrimination ?

:tongue:

Ok, I'm 53, fat, live too far away from most corps and I have a bad attitude. Can I sue for discrimination ?

:tongue:

You said "fat." You're an intolerant baby boomer. Jump on board the "victim bus." Everybody's a victim for some reason. You're fat. Me too. You're old. Me too. You have a bad attitude. We should form a support group. I know a couple lawyers.