Other non-talent related criteria for being cut....

I know people who have been cut because of attitudes, and rightfully so.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are chosen for parts in movies based on looks, ethnicity, ability to do certain stunts, height, type of voice, etc., etc. Why can't a corps do the same?
Because we are talking about what is essentially the opportunity to participate in a youth marching band as opposed to the casting of the next MGM epic. Please let's not be so self important and exclusionary....it may come back to bite us in the butt one day....

Ok. I really tried to stay out of the whole "fatty" discussion. I can no longer hold my tongue.

The fact of the matter is that the OP on the "fatty" discussion got cut because he wasn't good enough for that particular corps. He obviously has an over-inflated sense of his abilities and feels he has been wrongfully cut. He looking for an excuse instead of taking a good long look at himself and what he brings to the table. The only thing that came to mind while reading that thread was the American Idol auditionees that get cut because they aren't good enough and then make ##### out of themselves in front of the judging panel and in the hallway.

Now, obviously the OP found somewhere to march. Good job. Go, have a blast, learn a lot and try your dream corps again next year.

The fact of the matter remains that corps can cut anybody for any reason. People love to play the victim card in today's society. People always feel like they are entitled to something.

If a corps feels you are good enough and are going to contribute in a positive manner, you will get a spot. I've seen a lot in my time as a MM and as a staff member. I have seen many a "fatty" march in many a corps and kick ### while doing it.

My advise is this. If you get cut, don't make excuses about yourself. Don't blame the corps, the staff, the other auditionees. Take a good long look at yourself and what you have to offer. Go march another corps, learn some ####. Learn how to handle your business. Re-evaluate yourself and try it again next year.

The fact of the matter is you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment and frustration if you are always blaming others for your shortcomings.

I think that the basis of the OP here is severely flawed. Even if a person is cut because he/she is fat, it's likely because the staff knows the show design will prevent them from performing it well, and likely get them hurt. Being fat is a health problem and it can lead to more health problems. But saying that it's the same is being cut from a West Side Story because they're not white or puerto rican is not the same thing it all. Only risk there is that they'll get sunburned easier. This is a ######## argument. Race and health are two completely different things. It's not even apples and oranges. More like apples and a swift kick to the face.

Fitness level is fair grounds for someone to be cut. It doesn't matter how you get the job done, but that you get it done and move like everyone else. If you are in such poor shape you can't hang with the rest of the line and aren't taking steps to fix it during the winter season thats a good reason to cut someone.

Big isn't the only kind of out of shape. If you can't hold your horn, you aren't playing well. If you can't hang cardio wise, you aren't playing well. If you are weak, you're going to look weak too. The winter season is long enough to do a lot of obvious and visible training. If its March and you still are having the same fitness-related issues you had in November there is a problem. Its an effort issue.

I marched with a REALLY big guy in 05. He was told at the first camp that if he wanted to be considered for membership he needed to loose weight. Between Novemeber and move-ins he lost 60 pounds. Over those 6 months he busted his tail, lost weight and trained hard. He was still big when he moved in, but he could hang with the rest of us and was strong as an ox. Nobody asked him to do anything unreasonable or unhealthy. The winter season is 6 months long. You can make a lot of difference in your body in 6 months and at a healthy, safe pace.

-----------from the guy who started the "Being Cut Because You're Fat" thread

Ok. I really tried to stay out of the whole "fatty" discussion. I can no longer hold my tongue.

The fact of the matter is that the OP on the "fatty" discussion got cut because he wasn't good enough for that particular corps. He obviously has an over-inflated sense of his abilities and feels he has been wrongfully cut. He looking for an excuse instead of taking a good long look at himself and what he brings to the table. The only thing that came to mind while reading that thread was the American Idol auditionees that get cut because they aren't good enough and then make ##### out of themselves in front of the judging panel and in the hallway.

Now, obviously the OP found somewhere to march. Good job. Go, have a blast, learn a lot and try your dream corps again next year.

The fact of the matter remains that corps can cut anybody for any reason. People love to play the victim card in today's society. People always feel like they are entitled to something.

If a corps feels you are good enough and are going to contribute in a positive manner, you will get a spot. I've seen a lot in my time as a MM and as a staff member. I have seen many a "fatty" march in many a corps and kick ### while doing it.

My advise is this. If you get cut, don't make excuses about yourself. Don't blame the corps, the staff, the other auditionees. Take a good long look at yourself and what you have to offer. Go march another corps, learn some ####. Learn how to handle your business. Re-evaluate yourself and try it again next year.

The fact of the matter is you are setting yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment and frustration if you are always blaming others for your shortcomings.

The reason I think I'm cut because I'm fat is because my Instuctor for my high school went and auditioned for the same corps a few years ago and he was told flat to his face that it was his figure keeping him off the guard. I think I was cut for the same reason because there were people there that could not even throw fives on rifle, do clear angle tosses, nor look graceful doing a single skater turn. Now I'm not saying that I'm a god at colorguard, but my 5's were solid, angle tosses are my favorite kinda tosses so I CAN do them, and I felt like my skater turnes were very graceful.....yet I was cut......there's at least three people in my mind from the audition that couldnt do either of those 3 things I mentioned.....yet they still got a callback?

Well, I suppose you could say Cavvies and Madison have refused people for being the 'wrong body type'. Well, maybe 2 exceptions for Madison.

I don't think so, I was offered a spot to march with one of those corps the year before last and I have a large body type

For some odd reason it is very difficult to accept that there are people who can do what you do at a higher level than you. Making excuses may help your ego in the short term, but limits your development in the long run because you will blame your failures on the supposed shortcomings of others rather than accepting your current limitations and pushing yourself to compensate for those shortcoming, and as a result improving yourself. Stop whining, get better, and prove those naysayers wrong. This is the attitude successful drum and bugle corps are based on, and if you don't agree, then, well, that's probably why you were cut in the first place.

I never said I was perfect in colorguard so I don't know why you think that its hard for me to accept that other people can do stuff on a higher level......I am completely aware of that. I was just pointing out that fact that there were people at the audition who got callbacks yet couldn't do some of the required basics. I think its because the corps wanted to give them "another chance" to work on it and come back with it after being practiced....well why didn't I get another chance? I"M NOT SAYING THATS THE REASON THEY GOT THE CALLBACKS so don't go changing my words around but thats why I think those people got callbacks.

Was it the exact same guard staff that cut your instructor that cut you?