Inaugral parade

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted thanks for the great responses and yes C-SPAN was the correct one to watch ! :thumbup:

I just wanted thanks for the great responses and yes C-SPAN was the correct one to watch ! :thumbup:

I watched the parade on C-span today at lunch. Deffinately the place to watch!

I thought there was a nice combination of units representing America in the parade.

Military units

ROTC and Scouting groups

Variety of bands: HS, College, Gay, steppers, show bands, military/corps style etc.

Drum Corps

Pipe and Drum Bands

Mariachi band

Asian group

Some fun groups: lawn mowers, Azalia ladies, dance groups etc.

Several Native American tribes

Equestiran groups

Plus some others (I missed reading the title marquis of exactly what a few of the groups were)

The Obama's did watch most of the time and waved at the groups. Of course there were times they had to make nice as guests came and went.

Edited by shawn craig

Huge props to President and Mrs. Obama for staying for the whole parade - there was some talk that they may not do so because of the delay and getting to the balls. Plus it was very evident that they were really into the performers, acknowledging them all and even getting into the groove with some of them.

Very clear that they LOVED the Lesbian and Gay Band Association's drum major - that guy was having the time of his life!!

they were announced as the oldest COMPETITIVE drum & bugle corps. Not parade marching, not in existence. Field competitive.

The Govies field compete in DCA and according the pins I have started in 1927....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Huge props to President and Mrs. Obama for staying for the whole parade - there was some talk that they may not do so because of the delay and getting to the balls. Plus it was very evident that they were really into the performers, acknowledging them all and even getting into the groove with some of them.

Very clear that they LOVED the Lesbian and Gay Band Association's drum major - that guy was having the time of his life!!

He really was loving it! :glare:

I thought the band sounded good also.

Edited by shawn craig

Question for the Ohio State Buckeye fans?

Did I hear correctly that they are all brass with now woodwinds?

With the exception of the actual service bands, IMHO they had the most military bearing ( until the double timing fight song )

The Drum Major for the Gay band had me in stitches!

From NJ there was a contingent of special needs students marching as a drumline only

The Cadets and The Colts did themselves proud, and must have been great to be a member.

In 1966 I marched in the AL Nationals parade, even that was exciting to a youngin

Yup, that marked a huge sea change in U.S. political attitude! Can you see that happening with any other previous administration? I can't. (Though, had Hillary been elected, she might well have done something similar.)

Yup, that marked a huge sea change in U.S. political attitude! Can you see that happening with any other previous administration? I can't. (Though, had Hillary been elected, she might well have done something similar.)

According to their website, they performed in concert at both Clinton inaugurations but this was the first time in the parade.

I went to DC as a volunteer with the Cadets. Depart South Jersey 3AM; arrive parking area at RFK Stadium 5:30. Spectator buses everywhere. A very efficient shuttle system gets us downtown before sunrise. Mobs of people headed to the Mall and the inauguration.

Hard to get around due to closed areas. Thousands of port-o-johns....but few concession areas. Must pass thru security to get to the parade route--the first checkpoint has a city block full of people on line waiting; after an hour we have not moved forward at all. A parade vol tells us of a checkpoint two blocks down with no line so we go there. There is a line but we get thru in 1/2 hour. No signs or directions...the only poorly organized part of the event. Get to the parade route at 10 AM....good viewing spot. A line of police officers standing ten feet apart line the entire route....with another line of military behind them.

Wait....and wait some more. Very cold...temp around 30 degrees, wind chill in the teens. Inauguration ceremony broadcast over loudspeakers. More wait. The parade is supposed to start about 2:30.....but is delayed due to Senator Kennedy's illness and collapse at the luncheon.

Finally....around 4 PM....the parade starts...very slowly. The first units were DC and Capitol police and military. Finally the Obama's ....walking....surrounded by press and Secret Service. A quick glimpse and they are past. Then....at least 75% of the spectators leave. Route practically deserted for most of the bands. You could have walked up at that point and have the best seat in the house.

Felt bad for the bands late in the parade. Waited all day, all the money to get there, and no one watching. One right after the other....nothing between them. Too bad.

Then a long walk to the metro, train back to RFK, and another long walk around the stadium to get back to the bus.

A very long cold day. Glad for the experience....but never again.