Inaugural Drum Corps Trivia

The quartet was freakin amazing. Most impressive though was Yo-Yo Ma. For such a high profile musician to be that excited when playing was inspiring.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quartet was freakin amazing. Most impressive though was Yo-Yo Ma. For such a high profile musician to be that excited when playing was inspiring.

Absolutely! (And especially in those conditions.) What really impressed me was that he seemed to be making eye contact with President Obama and connecting with him throughout the performance. That, for me, is the standard of a great performer, when s/he fully engages not only with the music, but with his/her audience.

Yes, they are American. And yes, sometimes I get a little tired of the hyphenated American. But I think the poster's point had to do with the incredible diversity just in that one quartet . . . who, by the way, did a marvelous performance in brutally cold conditions! Not your usual concert-hall atmosphere, that's for sure. :glare:

Exactly right.

And to another point someone else made - Those four folks (yes, Americans all!) were all so vividly enthusiastic in their performance it was absolutely exciting to watch and listen!

To me, nothing expresses joy as much as music and you could hear it in their playing and see it in their faces.

BTW I don't hyphenate myself because I would probably need 4 or 5! When pushed about my ethnicity however, I always choose 'Black.' It's just easier.

Puppet

Absolutely! (And especially in those conditions.) What really impressed me was that he seemed to be making eye contact with President Obama and connecting with him throughout the performance. That, for me, is the standard of a great performer, when s/he fully engages not only with the music, but with his/her audience.

It was reported on the news last night that this segment was the only one that was prerecorded as the musicians could not play in that cold... and so they instrumentsync'd. Hence how wonderful it sounded.

Yup. I can't imagine playing in temps that cold. The quartet (filled with famous names) that played the "Simple Gifts" arrangement was absolutely outstanding!

If this has been mentioned before in this thread, my apologies for being repetitive, but the quartet was *not* playing. What we all heard was a recording, done the day before by the same group. I guess they were (sorta) lip-synching.

Andy

It was reported on the news last night that this segment was the only one that was prerecorded as the musicians could not play in that cold... and so they instrumentsync'd. Hence how wonderful it sounded.
If this has been mentioned before in this thread, my apologies for being repetitive, but the quartet was *not* playing. What we all heard was a recording, done the day before by the same group. I guess they were (sorta) lip-synching.

I've heard these same reports, though actually, according to what I heard, the musicians were playing; they just didn't want to risk damaging their instruments out in that cold, so they substituted their own instruments for less expensive ones. And they did play; the people seated around them heard them playing that music. However, what we in the TV-viewing audience heard was the recording.

If this had happened in ideal conditions, I'd be upset, but given the circumstances, I can understand doing it this way.

So they are Americans then? Personally I think if you are an American you are an American. I have never considered myself a Scottish American...ALWAYS an AMERICAN!!!

Personally I feel that i'm a native amarican since I was born here. :rolleyes:

Well, no one who's American is 100% anything...except American.

Well, no one who's American is 100% anything...except American.

french_fries.jpg

100% American--French Fries!!! :rolleyes: