Cadets in Parade

Got to agree with Mr. Chez. I observed the same thing. In every other country we would have seen tank brigades, missiles on flatbed trailers, and goose-stepping robots. I'll take Grambling State over that any day!

I also want to express my appreciation to President and Mrs. Obama for staying for the entire parade and for actually recognizing and acknowledging what was going on before them. You had to notice the almost empty reviewing stand behind them as, I suppose, it was more important for many elected officials to be back at their hotel preparing for the various balls.

EVERY state represented should have had an elected official present to witness the talents and pride of their home state citizens. Did you notice, EVERY military band had its commandant present as it passed in review? That's how it should be.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup: Both you and the President are models of class! I hope we see more of this type of respect in the coming years. Of course that's the beauty of drum corps specifically, and the performing arts in general. They bring people together in ways that other activities never do.

Well, thanks! I may be a Republican, but I am an American first. I want whatever is best for my country and the people who live in it, and will support the President and Congress as long as they do things that are right and good for the American people.

I missed the Colts, but saw the Cadets. I was in another room when I heard the "oldest corps" comment and ran in to watch. They really looked sharp. Without a doubt the best uniform I saw. Their brass performance was surely affected by the cold, but was very enjoyable. One thing that caught my ears was the sound of the snares used by the Florida A&M (I think) band (second unit after Obama's high school band). They had a very low, wonderfully gutty sound. When the camera showed a closeup they were 70's/80's vintage Ludwigs. My favorite moment next to seeing the Cadets. I watched the parade on Cspan. No commentary! I'm going to watch again to catch the Colts.

Got to agree with Mr. Chez. I observed the same thing. In every other country we would have seen tank brigades, missiles on flatbed trailers, and goose-stepping robots. I'll take Grambling State over that any day!

I remember being in High School discussing Nixon resigning and Ford becoming president. Our PoD (Problems of Democary) teacher was talking about it and someone said the actual process was boring. Her response was something like "That's the great part... no armed takeover... no threats.... just follow what's written in the constitution and laws... and keep on going".

And great part about the problem of our country is the president can be seen in public and not hidden away. From reports I saw the crowd was very well behaved in spite of over-crowding and bleep-ups because of the over-crowding.

Heh, just found out a group who came for the inagural was staying at a hotel a few blocks from me. DC is about 120 miles away.

I am a died-in-the-wool Republican and have been my whole life. BUT, I have to give a huge nod of respect to President Obama and his wife for staying there through the entire parade. That reviewing stand was virtually empty half way through, but they stayed and interacted with every group right until the end. Our local news channel even said that their "advisors" told them they should be leaving about half way through to get ready for the balls, but the Pres said "these people came a long way to play for me, so we're staying".

I have gained a lot of respect for the new guy because of this :glare: .

Amen! :shutup:

Agreed! They were very gracious to the performing groups and watched them all. I can remember other inaugurations where the pres. was talking with his back to the parade nearly every time they cut to him.

Yes! And you could see people trying to talk to them, and they were gracious enough to respond, but they also kept their eyes on the performers in front of them. The fact that that's where their priorities were speaks volumes about them, and my admiration for them both was magnified by these small, but very signficant things.

Edited by byline

Well, thanks! I may be a Republican, but I am an American first. I want whatever is best for my country and the people who live in it, and will support the President and Congress as long as they do things that are right and good for the American people.

Ditto.. I'm registered Republican because the area I'm in is so conservate the Democratic side of the primary hardly has any names (unless they're cross filing). But each election I try to pick the person who I think will do the best based on the circumstances.

Usually I don't say who I voted for but picked that Irish guy Barry O'Bama (Bama as in Alabama) this time. And main reason was I think we needed the person who could work with both sides of the aisle the most. Just get the idea even the people who disagree with him in DC are more apt to work with him because of the personal respect. <long rant not given>

Barry O'Bama (inside joke at work - "You're not voting for Obama? What have you got against the Irish. :glare: )

Back On Topic: Thanks for the links, couldn't watch much of the parade live.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Colt's sure looked great coming down the street. Guard was outstanding. Cadets looked good, but guard was sloppy (a little surprised).

In all fairness, Cadets performed a harder guard book than Colts. And, of course, we all know how cold it was. Maybe Cadets should have simplified their flagwork, but hey, hats off to all of them for doing their best in extremely challenging conditions! :glare:

I went to DC as a volunteer with the Cadets. Depart South Jersey 3AM; arrive parking area at RFK Stadium 5:30. Spectator buses everywhere. A very efficient shuttle system gets us downtown before sunrise. Mobs of people headed to the Mall and the inauguration.

Hard to get around due to closed areas. Thousands of port-o-johns....but few concession areas. Must pass thru security to get to the parade route--the first checkpoint has a city block full of people on line waiting; after an hour we have not moved forward at all. A parade vol tells us of a checkpoint two blocks down with no line so we go there. There is a line but we get thru in 1/2 hour. No signs or directions...the only poorly organized part of the event. Get to the parade route at 10 AM....good viewing spot. A line of police officers standing ten feet apart line the entire route....with another line of military behind them.

Wait....and wait some more. Very cold...temp around 30 degrees, wind chill in the teens. Inauguration ceremony broadcast over loudspeakers. More wait. The parade is supposed to start about 2:30.....but is delayed due to Senator Kennedy's illness and collapse at the luncheon.

Finally....around 4 PM....the parade starts...very slowly. The first units were DC and Capitol police and military. Finally the Obama's ....walking....surrounded by press and Secret Service. A quick glimpse and they are past. Then....at least 75% of the spectators leave. Route practically deserted for most of the bands. You could have walked up at that point and have the best seat in the house.

Felt bad for the bands late in the parade. Waited all day, all the money to get there, and no one watching. One right after the other....nothing between them. Too bad.

Then a long walk to the metro, train back to RFK, and another long walk around the stadium to get back to the bus.

A very long cold day. Glad for the experience....but never again.

I remember being in High School discussing Nixon resigning and Ford becoming president. Our PoD (Problems of Democary) teacher was talking about it and someone said the actual process was boring. Her response was something like "That's the great part... no armed takeover... no threats.... just follow what's written in the constitution and laws... and keep on going".

I seem to recall even Ayatollah Khomeini commenting on how smooth our power transitions were sometime after the hostages came home....during Ronny Ray-gun's term.