Cadets in Parade

Way back in 1984, Spirit played at a fundraiser for an Atlanta politician running for Congress. Pres. Reagan attended and Spirit was given the honor of playing "Hail to the Chief" for the event. We had to surrender our horns and uniforms to the SS for something like 24 hours, so they could inspect everything before allowing us to play and perform. We didn't get our equipment back until we showed up at the hotel where the event was held.

Our HS band, combined with the band from our sister HS in town, did a gig for Pres Bush here in NJ, and we had to bring all equipment to the site a day before so it could be checked out. The event was in a hanger at Trenton Airport, and the stuff was left there overnight.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way back in 1984, Spirit played at a fundraiser for an Atlanta politician running for Congress. Pres. Reagan attended and Spirit was given the honor of playing "Hail to the Chief" for the event. We had to surrender our horns and uniforms to the SS for something like 24 hours, so they could inspect everything before allowing us to play and perform. We didn't get our equipment back until we showed up at the hotel where the event was held.

I can only imagine with the beefed up security for this inauguration what a nightmare everything was for the SS and all of the bands concerned. I read somewhere yesterday that the bands had to report to the parade route around 7:30 or so in the morning...what was it...19 degrees then? And then the parade didn't start until after 4pm?

Kudos to anyone that had to endure that kind of scrutiny. And then to stand there and wait for 8 hours or more in frigid temps. Wow!

Ditto on the waiting around... :thumbup: And double ditto on anyone who handled security for this... :tongue::beer:

During the mid 1980s I was in the DC area a lot for training. One weekend I stayed in the area and rode the Metro to the Mall. Wanted to see inside the Capitol but didn't want to wait for a tour group. So I just walked around the areas that were not roped off. Had a few people look my way but no questions were asked. Even back then I thought security was too lax. Thanks goodness that has changed.

Heh, pre 9/11 we went on vaction to see relatives in Great Britain. Went to the Tower of London and had my briefcase checked by a machine sniffing for plastic explosives. Guy running the check was apologetic but my response was "Hey this is the way things should be done."

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

saw it on CNN int. but hardly heard anything because some doctor was explaining all about Sen. Kennedy's condition. They looked pretty sharp though.

I guess I'll have to see if I can find anything on the net in the next few days

I'm pretty use to having to tune out talking while trying to listen to The Cadets hornline!! :thumbup:

I'm pretty use to having to tune out talking while trying to listen to The Cadets hornline!! :thumbup:

<rimshot>

One of the best drum corps jokes in a while! :tongue:

I just watched the performance on that website (you know). Awesome performance especially all the sacrifice in the cold they had to endure! :thumbup:

If you go to the C-SPAN website, you can see the parade coverage without all the goofy chatter: C-SPAN's inaugural parade video

Edit: Ah, now I get the joke! :tongue:

Edited by byline

The military bands (from all services) looked and sounded sharp as well.

Yup! :thumbup:

I am a died-in-the-wool Republican and have been my whole life. BUT, I have to give a huge nod of respect to President Obama and his wife for staying there through the entire parade. That reviewing stand was virtually empty half way through, but they stayed and interacted with every group right until the end. Our local news channel even said that their "advisors" told them they should be leaving about half way through to get ready for the balls, but the Pres said "these people came a long way to play for me, so we're staying".

I have gained a lot of respect for the new guy because of this :thumbup: .