New DCP feature: "Off The Record - with Frank Dorritie"

JohnD

Andy - that's a really incisive and insightful observation. A couple of folks had that ability - Hy delivered unique sounds to a number of organizations. No one ever confused St. Ignatius Girls with Sky, but each one was talented and unique. There are a couple more to be sure - but a really sharp observation!!! (Pat yourself on the back, dude).

Does anyone know if Vinnie Ratford was teaching the Queensmen in '61 or '62? I know he also taught Blessed Sac at about the same time.

When he taught us at St. Joe's in 1962-64, it was an incredible experience. He taught the same style "leg lift" the Queensmen used-- instep to the knee, with toes pointing down.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Frank, That was incredible. What a great story teller, I hope this is the first of many. Travler

Thanks Frank, You know I've heard this story a hundred times but never like that. You have a great and unique way of descibing events and I see myself sitting by a campfire listening to you for hours and hours and never getting tired of listening.

That was an outstanding job of giving me a chance to relive my past and to remember what brought me to this activity in the first place. As you know Frankie, Billy Hightower was my first idol in the activity. I remember talking to him under the stands at Shea Stadium in '64 shaking in my White Bucks, as he described the art of trilling on a baritone. I remembered Teddy Sasso coming to my OLPH rehearsal in the winter of '66 to teach us "Dancing Serenade", which we could never duplicate only imitate. The memories just flooded out while hearing your words. Thank you my friend. Do it again!!! You are and will always be "the greatest".

Cudos to you Frank and DCP for doing such a stellar job in putting this format together I can't wait for the

next installment of this very entertaining new segment of DCP ! :music: Frank I attend all G-men camps

and will be looking to meeting you soon ! Smitty

First Fleetwood album I ever bought was 1961 "The Best Of The Corps Vol.1". It was concerts only of about 10 corps. I wore the Queensmen out, I played it so much. Being a baritone player myself, Billy Hightower was my hero. Thanks for the memories Frank, I will be looking forward to your next installment and thanks to Fleetwood for re-mastering all those great albums.

When you get a few minutes, have a look at our newest feature - "Off The Record - with Frank Dorritie". Its a new monthly series of 'audio essays' that bring together Frank's unique perspective on the activity and some of the great recordings from the Fleetwood Sounds library.

Just click on the audio player link in the article to listen .... then let us know here how you liked the program.

Also be sure to check out the Fleetwood library by clicking on the Fleetwood Sounds banner.

Thanks ... and enjoy!

-john

Click here: OTR_150x90.jpg

I'll add to the kudos...

Will it be available for download to iTunes? I like to take podcasts with me...

This was awesome. Thanks so much for doing it. It's neat to hear stuff like this that I know nothing about and have had no way to hear it before. I look forward to many more of these.

1961;

While sitting on the front steps of the house I lived in. It was early to mid June. I kept seeing Bus's headed down Comstock St. toward the High School. School had been out for a few weeks. (Strange!) Then I started to hear MUSIC!.

(HS Stadium only 3 Blocks away on Sunset Ave.)

So I jumped on my bike and went over to the Stadium to see what was going on. Turned out to be the VFW States.

That is how I got got cought up in "Drum and Bugle Corps" But as LUCK would have it "I" lived in a state that had a mini "Nationals" You see I got to see (FREE) Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, St. Vincent's Cadets, Garfield Cadets, St. Lucy's Cadets, Our Lady of Lords, Patterson Cadets, Audubon Bon Bons, ETC ETC ETC. Yes, I was Lucky enough to live in New Jersey.

Then as it turned out my cousin Ruthy was in one of those things. She brought me down to the local VFW where I joined the New Parade Corps (going M&M) next the year) The Asbury Park Hurricanes.

Just reading the names in MANY of these posts have brought back Memories Beyond Belief

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OldStyleCorps