Percussion Judges

This is rolling over from another thread.

I don't think we need two.. if percussion needs two, they why doesn't brass deserve two, and every other caption. it was argued that it is hard for one percussion judge to catch it all (to see more go to "At Last!" thread). I think a brass judge has a comparable job to a percussion job.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a brass judge has a comparable job to a percussion job.

There really should be a pit judge, and a battery judge. The two disciplines are so different, and it's hard to find enough judges that are qualified in both. That being said, a brass judge just has to sample individuals, anything he misses, will most likely caught by the GE music judge, who, 9 times out of 10, is a Brass guy.

Now, if there's only one judge, and he gets trapped with the drumline at the back of the field, then misses an ENTIRE pit feature that accompanies a bari solo, who do you think the GE music judge is going to be talking about, not the pit.

The reason they added Perc 2 was to judge the percussion section holistically. The reason they're (really) getting rid of it is $$$. Don't let them fool you, it's about the $$. I know they're are only two perc judges for regionals and finals week, but I'm sure DCI needs to make the cuts where they can.

i think both are needed, esopecially since ensemble music can often be a brass guy who may lean towards his area of strength...brass.

personally...get rid of ensemble music and put ensemble brass in there.

There really should be a pit judge, and a battery judge. The two disciplines are so different, and it's hard to find enough judges that are qualified in both. That being said, a brass judge just has to sample individuals, anything he misses, will most likely caught by the GE music judge, who, 9 times out of 10, is a Brass guy.

Now, if there's only one judge, and he gets trapped with the drumline at the back of the field, then misses an ENTIRE pit feature that accompanies a bari solo, who do you think the GE music judge is going to be talking about, not the pit.

The reason they added Perc 2 was to judge the percussion section holistically. The reason they're (really) getting rid of it is $$$. Don't let them fool you, it's about the $$. I know they're are only two perc judges for regionals and finals week, but I'm sure DCI needs to make the cuts where they can.

I agree with you here... Front Ensemble (especially since there are synths) should be judged separately.

I disagree with Jeff to some point

I believe that the ensemble music should stay. Although most music judges may have a hard time talking about the technique or challenges that pertain to percussion performance, they certainly should be able to discuss the benefits and negatives it may add to the music. Lets face it, there are some great lines out there that have loads of technique and display it whenever they can, yet it may add little or nothing to the music itself

In the end, its all music.

I am proctoring a test and thought, "what else do I have to do?" Lets chime in here

I agree with the idea of having one pit judge and one battery judge. That way, one can stay with the battery, the other with the pit, and nothing (or at least a lot less) is missed. In addition, the pit judge can also take into account how things line up front-to-back with the battery and pit, which is impossible if you're with the battery.

I agree with the idea of having one pit judge and one battery judge. That way, one can stay with the battery, the other with the pit, and nothing (or at least a lot less) is missed. In addition, the pit judge can also take into account how things line up front-to-back with the battery and pit, which is impossible if you're with the battery.

This is a nice idea on the surface, but then we lose the whole side of the story with "how does percussion relate to the whole package" type of thing.

In todays visual programs, the battery sections even split off so much from each other. The field guy already has a heck of a job trying to move around. From the wrong position on the field, things can sound different.

Not to mention that when the judges run out of breath, THATS pit time! lol (just kidding).

Then also, who judges the blend and balance?

Who dogs the line for playing too loud or not loud enough? Thats impossible to judge on the field level.

Front to back is also impossible to evaluate from on the field. You need someone up top who

A) can make those reads

B) Appreciate different levels of demand and let that factor into his ranking.

I understand it feels a little much to contribute two guys to one section, it i do think its neccessary at this level.

In marching band, etc, (especially lower level), i think you can leave 1 guy up top.

but when deciding the best in the world, i like the added perspective.

t

This is a nice idea on the surface, but then we lose the whole side of the story with "how does percussion relate to the whole package" type of thing.

In todays visual programs, the battery sections even split off so much from each other. The field guy already has a heck of a job trying to move around. From the wrong position on the field, things can sound different.

Not to mention that when the judges run out of breath, THATS pit time! lol (just kidding).

Then also, who judges the blend and balance?

Who dogs the line for playing too loud or not loud enough? Thats impossible to judge on the field level.

Front to back is also impossible to evaluate from on the field. You need someone up top who

A) can make those reads

B) Appreciate different levels of demand and let that factor into his ranking.

I understand it feels a little much to contribute two guys to one section, it i do think its neccessary at this level.

In marching band, etc, (especially lower level), i think you can leave 1 guy up top.

but when deciding the best in the world, i like the added perspective.

t

You know, to an old-fashioned brass guy like me, this seems like a really simple question, but it's actually pretty complex. Drum corps percussion represents the highest level of rudimental percussion in the world, in much the same way that the guard is the highest level of equipment work in the world.

All of this music needs to be judged from upstairs, because that's where it's all going, and I agree with George that GE should be general, otherwise it should be Specific Effect. Without the guy on the field though, it's really incredibly difficult to evaluate, rate and rank percussion sections, all of whom perform at incredibly high levels. It's not a coincidence that many of the greatest drummers in the world came from our activity.

I am, in general, an advocate of getting all judging off the field, but I think that to do so with percussion is a potential catastrophe waiting to happen. If the detail and nuance achieved by the top batteries ever becomes discounted in importance, and the lines follow suit by becoming less skilled because of the lessened impact on the scores, we will have lost one of the critical elements (or should I say another of the critical elements) which have made our activity unique and special.

I for one don't feel I have the answer to this question. I hope the correct decisions are made.

This is rolling over from another thread.

I don't think we need two.. if percussion needs two, they why doesn't brass deserve two, and every other caption. it was argued that it is hard for one percussion judge to catch it all (to see more go to "At Last!" thread). I think a brass judge has a comparable job to a percussion job.

I like the "one up, one down" thing myself. The one up can catch the overall percussion performance, while the field person can go back and forth in sampling the two groups.

I do think the Ensemble person should be an overall Music Ensemble judge so that the entirety of the music presentation gets evaluated the performance arena, versus the effect arena.