Has DCI been a success or failure?

Has DCI been a success or failure?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Has DCI been a success or failure?

• Success
    • Failure

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know this.... you are not alone in your sentiments. And the fact that you are still here commenting tells us that the fire has not been totally extinquished for you with this activity. Things sometimes go in cycles. Sometimes some if the " hippest " things that are done are Retro.

Keep the Faith, BayonneBum.

Last years DCI Champion had a readily identifiable theme that needed no explanation ( " Spartacus " ) and the Champion was also the clear people's favorite last year as well ( which has been rare most years )

Thanks for the encouragement, Brasso. I'm sure that I will reconnect at some point. The activity is too good to ignore, especially if you've been involved at any point in life. And I really do need to expand my horizons. LOL

Do you like pop music from this decade?

Actually, I don't listen much to Pop radio. I usually listen to urban morning radio, and the attendant fluff that is today's R&B.

I do subscribe to "Napster to Go" (which I rarely listen to - what a waste of $15 per month).

Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks Jayzer.

Yeah actually I do.

And there has been many times I've heard music in the last 10 years and imagined how you could arrange it for the field and if it would work.

But from what I have read/heard rights to things have gone through the roof. That is one of the reasons always given for playing original material now days. True? I don't know.

BTW for those who always say Jackson was a bad location, I don't know how it was as a marching member but as a fan that was one of the finals I had a blast at. The river boats in Vicksburg made a killing off me though. :thumbup:

One of the coolest things about finals in a lot of the different locations was the "newness" to the area.

The Jackson story wasn't just about the marching members. DCI lost it's shirt. But, hey that's optional summertime apparel in some Jackson neighborhoods.

By the way....after several days and over 330 posts, the poll still shows 75% success rate. That's higher than the current Commander and Chief. Not bad numbers at all.

There is no surprise in the results. The poll is akin to going onto an ESPN NBA Message Board and asking the NBA fans on there " has the NBA been a success or a failure since the inception of the league ? ". The results would more than likely be at least 70% responding with " Success "

However, if the same question was asked of broader Pro Sports fans on the all inclusive Pro Sports fans message board forum on ESPN ( made up of a combination of Basketball, Hockey, baseball, football, Soccer, etc Pro Sports fans) One would most likely get a different percentage breakdown result.

Closer to home here, if this DCI poll question re. success or failure of DCI was asked on other forums on this site comprised of Drum Corps fans, one could reasonably expect a different percentage breakdown result in that case as well.

Edited by BRASSO

Fan complaints grew every year, but so did attendance.

in Orlando? Actually, with numbers released on here the other year, it went backwards from 96 to 98

There is no surprise in the results. The poll is akin to going onto an ESPN NBA Message Board and asking the NBA fans on there " has the NBA been a success or a failure since the inception of the league ? ". The results would more than likely be at least 70% responding with " Success "

However, if the same question was asked of broader Pro Sports fans on the all inclusive Pro Sports fans message board forum on ESPN ( made up of a combination of Basketball, Hockey, baseball, football, Soccer, etc Pro Sports fans) One would most likely get a different percentage breakdown result.

Closer to home here, if this DCI poll question re. success or failure of DCI was asked on other forums on this site comprised of Drum Corps fans, one could reasonably expect a different percentage breakdown result in that case as well.

And I stand by my previous comment. If you are over 50, you are very much more likely to think DCI as a failure. If you are under 50, you are very much more likely to think DCI as a success. 50 seems to be the magic number. People below fifty may only have vague memories of a time before DCI. I was born in 1960 and my memories of VFW/Combine/DCI are vague at best. At the time I was more interested in hearing and watching these summer drum corps who were different and better than my middle school or my soon to be high school band at the time.

in Orlando? Actually, with numbers released on here the other year, it went backwards from 96 to 98

Technically speaking, attendance went up the second year by two people. :thumbup: And then down about a thousand the third year. But if people hated it so much, they would have steered clear of it in 2003 and attendance should have been lower. Instead, attendance jumped by 6000 or so. I guess they didn't hate it so much after all...or they simply didn't care and they went because it was finals.