Has DCI been a success or failure?

Has DCI been a success or failure?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. Has DCI been a success or failure?

• Success
    • Failure

By the way, I was a " Drum Corps fan " at age nine. I know dozens and dozens of people that became Drum Corps fans before they were 13 years old. Many of them marched before they were 13. For your information, just about EVERY current DCI Drum Corps that has been in existence a few years has had at one time or another marchers that were as young, or younger than 13. We can all presume that they were a " a Drum Corps fan " when they marched. The fact that you" never met a 10-13 year old Drum Corps fan" is fine . It simply reflects your own personal timeline and personal experience in Drum Corps and with DCI, that's all.

The key phrase is "...at one time". Back in the day there were more corps made up of young kids, be they feeder corps or independent corps made up of young folks.

It's a different world today, so personally I (marcher/fan since 1964) doubt there are a lot of 10 year old fans today, but it's just MHO.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically speaking, attendance went up the second year by two people. :thumbup: And then down about a thousand the third year. But if people hated it so much, they would have steered clear of it in 2003 and attendance should have been lower. Instead, attendance jumped by 6000 or so. I guess they didn't hate it so much after all...or they simply didn't care and they went because it was finals.

i had heard it went down. glad to know otherwise, but man did complaints rise after that year. i know i didnt go when they said where it was. i cant believe i went 96-98.

Statistically, Orlando attendance would have to be called consistent. But, not to the level of Madison in 1999. Wasn't that the last of the Live broadcasts on PBS?

2001 Buffalo

It's a difficult question to know the answer to. But my guess, there are more in the 10-13 age demographic that are Drum Corps fans and participated in this poll than those Drum Corps fans who are over 60 and who participated in this poll. Would you agree or disagree with this ?

disagree 100%

Nobody knows the age demographic of those that participated in this poll. But it seems likely that there are both VERY young on here, and VERY old, and that the younger the pollster, the even MORE likely they would be to poll that DCI has been" a success ", even if the questioner asks a timeframe from " the inception ", and many have only been following DCI the last decade.... or less. The older pollsters may have been following the activity during the poll questioner's time frame and may be in a better ( perhaps ) position to make a more informed comparison from " the inception " to " today ", since they were present during the entire time frame from which the thread originator was asking us is "a success "or as " a failure ". The results are instructive in that they reflect the respondants level of experience with their time spent in the activity.

By the way, I was a " Drum Corps fan " at age nine. I know dozens and dozens of people that became Drum Corps fans before they were 13 years old. Many of them marched before they were 13. For your information, just about EVERY current DCI Drum Corps that has been in existence a few years has had at one time or another marchers that were as young, or younger than 13. We can all presume that they were a " a Drum Corps fan " when they marched. The fact that you" never met a 10-13 year old Drum Corps fan" is fine . It simply reflects your own personal timeline and personal experience in Drum Corps and with DCI, that's all.

I don't dispute that younger people are more likely to consider DCI a success. I just think it's silly to suggest that there are a bunch of 10-13 year old drum corps fans skewing the poll one way or the other. I'm well aware that in the past, it was common for kids to start marching at a very young age, but that is simply not the case anymore. Unless they happen to come from a drum corps family, kids have no exposure to drum corps until they get into high school band programs at the age of 13 or 14.

Actually, I don't listen much to Pop radio. I usually listen to urban morning radio, and the attendant fluff that is today's R&B.

I do subscribe to "Napster to Go" (which I rarely listen to - what a waste of $15 per month).

Do you have any suggestions for me? Thanks Jayzer.

Well honestly my question was more rhetorical than anything. But since you asked...

No, I don't have any suggestions for you, at least in terms of the radio. It's probably a sign of the times more than anything, but I've completely given up on radio. I have good memories of listening to the radio during my formative years (I was born in '83), and I'd start my own radio station if I ever won the lottery, but ClearChannel and the Internet have collectively ruined FM radio for me.

You might check out pandora.com, though. It's got its own custom stations, but the main draw of the site is that it will build a station for you based around the musical qualities of any band of your choosing.

Nice western region representation: highest attendance figures in almost fifteen years!

Memo to DCI: a western region finals = more in attendance than in mid-west, east, or south. Please come back here in the off year!!!!

No no. They need to come to the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas (er...Arlington).

It's a difficult question to know the answer to. But my guess, there are more in the 10-13 age demographic that are Drum Corps fans and participated in this poll than those Drum Corps fans who are over 60 and who participated in this poll. Would you agree or disagree with this ?

Disagree. (X gets the square!)

But for reals, most kids don't become drum corps fans until at least high school, owing to the fact that they typically don't know a single thing about the marching activity until they participate in it for the first time during their freshman year of high school.

Edited by Jayzer

The key phrase is "...at one time". Back in the day there were more corps made up of young kids, be they feeder corps or independent corps made up of young folks.

It's a different world today, so personally I (marcher/fan since 1964) doubt there are a lot of 10 year old fans today, but it's just MHO.

It is rare that I agree with MikeD :thumbup: But he is right there are not a lot of 10 old fans today. And that is a huge, huge problem today.

Dean

There are PLENTY of 10-13 yer old Drum Corps fans TODAY. Hundreds of 10-13 year olders march in DCI Corps in the Open Class and in feeder units, and in parade Corps. There are not as many of them as in earlier decades, but they are certainly out there. The fact that some of today's older Drum Corps fans" never met them," or don't follow them, or don't know they exist, simply speaks to their own experience and knowledge of TODAY'S Drum Corps activity, that's all. The poster above said he " never met a 10-13 year old Drum Corps fan ". Well..... fine. But many of us have, and we've watched hundreds of them perform the last few years on the field in DCI sponsored shows. There are PLENTY of 10-13 year old Drum Corps fans out there. The fact that some older DCI fans on this site are not aware of this doesn't mean that they don't exist. Of course they do. It's just that some DCP posters on here are apparently not aware of it, that's all.

I don't dispute that younger people are more likely to consider DCI a success. I just think it's silly to suggest that there are a bunch of 10-13 year old drum corps fans skewing the poll one way or the other. I'm well aware that in the past, it was common for kids to start marching at a very young age, but that is simply not the case anymore. Unless they happen to come from a drum corps family, kids have no exposure to drum corps until they get into high school band programs at the age of 13 or 14.

NOBODY said " there are a bunch of 10-13 year drum corps fans skewing the poll ". You can look above and not find ANYONE that thinks that or said that on this thread.

The poster above said " he never met a 10-13 year old Drum Corps fan ". The implication with that remark is that they do not exist. My response was that they do exist and that they exist TODAY and that they march in DCI Corps TODAY, and attend shows TODAY, and are probably participating in this poll every bit as much as the older ( post 60) aged Drum Corps fan. The fact that there are LESS 10-13 year olders marching in Drum Corps is not in dispute by anyone on here. As a matter of fact, there are less marchers and fans in the ENTIRE youth market compared with early DCI years including the high school and college aged. And we are all in agreement with this.

Edited by BRASSO

NOBODY said " there are a bunch of 10-13 year drum corps fans skewing the poll ". You can look above and not find ANYONE that thinks that or said that on this thread.

The poster above said " he never met a 10-13 year old Drum Corps fan ". The implication with that remark is that they do not exist. My response was that they do exist and that they exist TODAY and that they march in DCI Corps TODAY, and attend shows TODAY, and are probably participating in this poll every bit as much as the older ( post 60) aged Drum Corps fan. The fact that there are LESS 10-13 year olders marching in Drum Corps is not in dispute by anyone on here. As a matter of fact, there are less marchers and fans in the ENTIRE youth market compared with early DCI years including the high school and college aged. And we are all in agreement with this.

Look, I'm not gonna make bald unsupportable assertions, nor argue yours. I spoke from my personal experience. If you know of lots of 10 year olds reading and voting in DCP polls, so be it.