The Cavaliers 2009 Program

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the 10th anniversary of the WGI championship performance of "The Great Divide" by Emerald Marquis. I'm willing to bet good money that Cavies are doing a John Adams show. This past year was his 60th Birthday celebration at Disney Concert Hall in L.A.

Grand Pianola Music: On the Great Divide

"And then into this came me with this strange kind of P.T. Barnum of a piece that didn't even have strings in it," he says. "It was just basically for wind band and two pianos and these three cooing sopranos that never said anything –- they just kind of cooed like the sirens in Homer's Odyssey. You know, it's a piece with a sense of humor. And it also has a little Liberace, a little Beethoven, a little Ray Charles."

And, Adams says, the premiere audience was more than a little scandalized by it.

"So when I went up to take a bow, I stood next to one of the pianists –- this very lovely and much-adored pianist Ursula Oppens -– and I heard the booing and I was just, you know, very disturbed. And she grabbed my hand, she squeezed it and she said, 'Oh my God, they're booing! Isn't it wonderful?'"

This is an NPR interview about him and the music:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...toryId=93150310

I have merged the above post into the already existing topic.

It's the 10th anniversary of the WGI championship performance of "The Great Divide" by Emerald Marquis. I'm willing to bet good money that Cavies are doing a John Adams show. This past year was his 60th Birthday celebration at Disney Concert Hall in L.A.

Grand Pianola Music: On the Great Divide

Except, that last section of Grand Pianola Music is actually titled "On the Dominant Divide".

I would love to see it happen, though. I have the CD that you linked to, and as often as I've heard Wild Night from Harmonium on the field, I've always thought Grand Pianola Music would be pretty #### effective as well... though to be honest, I've always thought a top-notch marching band would be better suited for the timbre of the piece.

If this is indeed the case, then this will be the one show I look forward to the most this season. :thumbup:

Hey guys ...

Unfortunately I'm not holding out much hope at this point, but just in case, here's the amazon link to "Great Divide" by Hanson ...

Go Go Green Machine Playing Hanson!!!!!!

Edited by FluteBoy

From your map, it's quite obvious the "Great Divide" show will center around my home town of Oak Park, where a barely perceptible ridge a few blocks from my house constitutes the divide between the Great Lakes and Mississippi watersheds. Ironically, Oak Park also constitutes the great social divide between the gritty west side of Chicago and the plush suburbs. As usual, the Cavies have found a way to incorporate multiple levels of meaning into their program. Well done!

lg-oakparkdivide.gif

Whoa....that's only a half-block away from Bar Louie. :thumbup:

bar-louie-380x282.jpg

Who knew the CTA Green Line ended at the "Great Divide". How appropriate...

I used to work in Oak Park...I've been to Harlem and Lake and would have never guessed it was some major, geological pinpoint.