Cavaliers 2002

And let's not forget, they won!

Amen, and that's the thing about all this woulda coulda shoulda stuff. People can debate til the cows come home, and hide behind "well that's my opinion so don't be a hater!" The only opinions that truly matter on the subject are the ones from the green shirts on Saturday night. Right, wrong, or otherwise, these corps WON. You can never take the trophy away, and those perfect scores (or any other numbers for that matter) will never be erased from the record books. Doesn't mean everyone has to bow down to worship any and all championship shows, or even agree with the placements. Just that the placements are the placements. Forever.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 2005 didn't have a lot of dirt.

Agreed, that show was pretty darn clean. But same concept I mentioned before - I don't think it would have broken 99 if the other shows in 05 were up to par. Bluecoats and Phantom had the only other shows that I'd consider memorable that year, and even those were pretty dirty.

Just my little rule of thumb; the higher the first place corps' score, the lower the quality of the rest of the corps. Any year that no one breaks 98 is an awesome year!

Agreed, that show was pretty darn clean. But same concept I mentioned before - I don't think it would have broken 99 if the other shows in 05 were up to par. Bluecoats and Phantom had the only other shows that I'd consider memorable that year, and even those were pretty dirty.

Just my little rule of thumb; the higher the first place corps' score, the lower the quality of the rest of the corps. Any year that no one breaks 98 is an awesome year!

Wow, never really thought about that theory.

Just wondering, how does that theory play out when it comes to the lower placements, say? 10-14 or so? There are a number of years when the Crossmen or Colts scores from this past season would have been in 12th place, sometimes even as high as 10th, and only a couple (this year being one of them) where they wouldn't be. Just curious...

Edited by va9590jm

there are definitely some dirty moments for that drumline.

yeah. i see that drum score and laugh

At the time I thought they were clearly head-and-shoulders better than everyone else, but as we get further away from it, I have also developed a great appreciation for the musical package. The hornline had such great tone (bear in mind, I'm a drummer), and so what if they had 8th notes in the Fight Club? C'mon, Jeff - I'm sure you've seen / heard lot recordings - it's not like they weren't playing the *rest* of the time! :rolleyes:

Mike

Mike I dont care if they played quarters. at finals I expect them to be clean. I listen to the 92 drum break, fuzz galore, and dont get mad, cause at least they were ramming. but to blow 8th notes at finals? I'm sorry, you dont deserve 19+ for yur number.

Yeah, there was dirt, but like people keep saying, there usually is. I do know two things: if you don't have a perfect color guard show( dropping someone on their head in the middle of the fight club section, dropping tosses, sail on the last flag), you shouldn't get a perfect score. Second thing: the 2004 Cavies show is perhaps the most filthy mess of a Championship show I have ever heard or seen. That jam out samba section sounds like a bad Spirit jam out, and their were more visual errors than I've seen in some of the bottom six. And I don't care about how hard it is, execution is execution, if you don't execute, who cares if you did the hardest stuff ever. Devils were musically cleaner and visually just as hard and way cleaner. I just don't get it. Oh, well. Thats DCI.

because of what the book was, everyone overlooked the dirt. that was the day when the what became more important than the how in DCI

There visual package was just amazing. I show my students that, and they are blown away at what they do. Great marchers, and phenomenal drill writers.

Brass sounded great. Balance and blend also blew me away.

Brass book and dynamics however weren't anywhere near the level of the drill.

:rolleyes: