Man ! They got that one wrong !

Controversial Finals Winners  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these just didn't make sense to you?

• 1975 Skyliners
    • 1977 Sunrisers
    • 1981 Hurricanes
    • 1986 Bushwackers
    • 1987 Sunrisers (Rain Out)
    • 1988 TIE Bushwackers - Sunrisers
    • 1989 Bushwackers
    • 1990 Bushwackers
    • 1997 TIE Statesmen - Brigadiers
    • 2003 Hawthorne
    • 1996 Westshoremen

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See... most of the old Crusader guys I know still can't talk about 1972.

Too soon, man. Too soon. The hurt is still too fresh.

tom i talk about it all the time........what a crock that night was!!!!! :smile:

You guys really HAVE to be kidding me about 94, right? Not even close...sorry boys. I will give it to you Cabs on a year you should have won, but not that one. Empire was not to be denied...undefeated all year.

And I conceded 93 in 2 posts before that because Bush was very good, but honestly Empire could have won every year from 1990-94. 95 we sucked, but still should have been second, because everyone else except Cabs was having an off year. Westshore was on the comeback and had THAT drum line so they snuck into second. But in 1996, I thought we were a very solid second to Cabs.

Oh yeah, those were some of the corps I taught and wrote for !!! LOL...some great memories. And, I am keeping the focus off the tie in 1997.

I can see why my friends at Bush were OK with the outcomes. You had some great corps as did Cabs and Empire during those years, THAT was competition!!!

Donny

I agree. I think DCA as a whole was so much different then and the competition between Cabs, Bush, and Empire was awesome

And you know what...we saw each other after the show, had a beer and enjoyed the rivalry that we all had. It was a very respectful knowledge and we all realized that if we wanted to win a show, we had to be at our best.

When the Cabs took the field in Cumberland one of those years, we just had come off the field and knew we were a little off. The Cabs cadence was about 180 beats per minute and the arm swing was touching the stars. I only said, "we're done, lets go listen to the tapes." You couldnt have a flat show back then and get the nod of victory.

We never really knew what to think about Bush, except that In August they would be in it to win. We didnt even worry about them in June and July, LOL. But again, as much as we didnt want to admit then, they had a great corps, and had very interesting programming.

DA

And you know what...we saw each other after the show, had a beer and enjoyed the rivalry that we all had. It was a very respectful knowledge and we all realized that if we wanted to win a show, we had to be at our best.

When the Cabs took the field in Cumberland one of those years, we just had come off the field and knew we were a little off. The Cabs cadence was about 180 beats per minute and the arm swing was touching the stars. I only said, "we're done, lets go listen to the tapes." You couldnt have a flat show back then and get the nod of victory.

We never really knew what to think about Bush, except that In August they would be in it to win. We didnt even worry about them in June and July, LOL. But again, as much as we didnt want to admit then, they had a great corps, and had very interesting programming.

DA

Ever the Pragmatist Donny.....as it should be. It is what it is. Reality T.V. shows got "Nuttin'" on you my friend. Just sayin.........

Edited by melligene

Well, I was -7 years old in 1972. So I like to read the stories ... :cool:

Well I was 9 and I was there... and even then I could sense that Jimmy Russo wanted the fans to feel like they were part of the show. Talk about an innovator of drum corps entertainment.

Oh, and the diving board at the Saddlebrook Howard Johnsons pool was AWESOME!

Edited by Tom D'Bomb

In my opinion, there has been some travesty over the years concerning the results at finals. I don't feel that anyone that has set foot on the field is capable of judging their own corps performance. It's only natural for them to judge with their heart. That being said, execution caption spreads have won or lost shows. I've always said that finals judging tend to be one tenth judging. ie: the 10th place corps gets a 9, the 9th place corps gets a 9.1 and so on. I believe that it's almost impossible to fairly judge GE without being influenced by one corps superior execution in one caption or another, over another competitor. Maybe that's what happened in 1996. In my years, I still feel that 1996 was way too blatant to be on the up and up. Just my opinion, I had no stake whatsoever whether Cabs or WS or whoever won the show. I watched the top five corps from a luxury box and put WS in 3rd.

Drum Corps has been a very large part of my life. I started in 1957 and have marched with and instructed numerous corps thru the years. Over the years, I've had many friends in the Westshoremen organization. It's great that they had "the thrill of victory" and will carry it throughout their lives. I wish that for everyone involved in this hobby but it's not going to happen. There are no good solutions to the inequities of judging. Becoming non-competitive would ruin it for most involved. Let's face it, even the alumni corps walk away from alumni shows thinking they would have won that night. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and wonder what happened. Remember, "the other guys" sweat, sacrifice, strive to win and enjoy having a beer or two after the show just as much as you do. Enjoy the ride and what happens...happens.

This all holds true in my opinion except when you're discussing The Blousemen.

Gary Winkelman

In my opinion, there has been some travesty over the years concerning the results at finals. I don't feel that anyone that has set foot on the field is capable of judging their own corps performance. It's only natural for them to judge with their heart. That being said, execution caption spreads have won or lost shows. I've always said that finals judging tend to be one tenth judging. ie: the 10th place corps gets a 9, the 9th place corps gets a 9.1 and so on. I believe that it's almost impossible to fairly judge GE without being influenced by one corps superior execution in one caption or another, over another competitor. Maybe that's what happened in 1996. In my years, I still feel that 1996 was way too blatant to be on the up and up. Just my opinion, I had no stake whatsoever whether Cabs or WS or whoever won the show. I watched the top five corps from a luxury box and put WS in 3rd.

Drum Corps has been a very large part of my life. I started in 1957 and have marched with and instructed numerous corps thru the years. Over the years, I've had many friends in the Westshoremen organization. It's great that they had "the thrill of victory" and will carry it throughout their lives. I wish that for everyone involved in this hobby but it's not going to happen. There are no good solutions to the inequities of judging. Becoming non-competitive would ruin it for most involved. Let's face it, even the alumni corps walk away from alumni shows thinking they would have won that night. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and wonder what happened. Remember, "the other guys" sweat, sacrifice, strive to win and enjoy having a beer or two after the show just as much as you do. Enjoy the ride and what happens...happens.

This all holds true in my opinion except when you're discussing The Blousemen.

Gary Winkelman

I agree whole-heartedly with your opinion.It has to be about the journey,and not the destination,otherwise you get your feelings hurt.

What do you mean...Blousemen never got screwed, did they?

I must have missed that one. Was it Phantom Vanguard? Did Kay have anything to go with it?

DA

I remember in the early to mid 90's......(well for the most part i remember them hahahaha) and your right there was a mutual respect between the corps then. Especially when the vets from each corps knew each other and told us new guys about who and what the other corps were about.

back on topic tho, 1996......I still gotta go with that one on here......(yes i am biased)

Oh and Phantom vanguard.......now I may have more time to re-work the corps direction and perhaps hire additional staff. Donnie if your interested I need an upper soprano vibrato tech. The pay is decent and Timmy Campbell has mentioned interest in marching, albeit in some place south of Hawthorne that is due to freeze over?? (not to sure what he meant hahaha) If your interested send resume asap.....I hear Deamer is in to.