Next Corps to move out of this thread and into WC thread

First let me start by saying Open Class is the same as Div 2/3. Say what you want. It's the same. Not arguing that anymore.

Academy spent one full year in DIV 2.. they start a strong organization from year one so they a huge plus on their side.

Magic or Orlando in my mind was never Div 2... they had to compete in Div 2 because they were inactive for more than 2 years. This might/might not be the case with Cap Regiment.

Blue Stars never dominated Div 2 before going up to Div 1. 2004 and 2005 they were bigger in numbers but competitively the same as the years they were small with 50 kids on the field.

Just my $0.02, take it or leave it.

DCI forced Magic to compete in Div. II. That rule no longer exists so Cap Reg could go back to WC as soon as they are approved to do so after their evaluation....whenever that is scheduled.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue Knights were also a DCI class A participant. All in all, five of our current top 12 have spent time in class A/division II/III. I think that proves the viability of advancing corps well enough....and besides, we have bigger fish to fry in this thread.

The concept of expecting a corps to dominate open-class competitively before advancing to world-class is inherently silly. We might never promote anyone while waiting for that to happen....and if it does, we ruin the competitive drama of open-class in the process.

My arguement is that from a purely competitive standpoint, not taking into acount the management side of things, I would like to see my former corps win two titles before they attempt to go World Class. Based on RECENT history the corps that dont show they can compete successfuly for many years in Open Class/Div 2/3 do not do well in World Class. I understand that all of the top 12 have Open Class roots, and some have even gone back into Open Class to make sure they didnt fold, and I think that is smart and that is what I want Teal to do. I want my corps to succeed and to be good on the field. I dont want to see my corps go World Class and be just another corps, I want to see them go World Class and be relevant.

On the Orlando Magic note, its been covered but my opinion is Magic was never D2, they were forced to be D1. Also, if Magic was smart they would have stayed D2 and build the organization back up before going back to World Class. I know many Magic vets, I even know the guy who is either 1 or 2 on most years marched in Magic, the organization was never stable and when they came back should have stayed D2. BUT, when they came back it was a D1 staff with D1 talent and D1 numbers, so it was a D1 corps competing in D2. If the organization was smart they would have stayed there, built up a base of kids and management staff, then gone back up.

I know my corps wants to eventually go World Class. Financially it's the only way to go. For the students to have a full tour and perform in as many shows as they can, they almost have to go World. With the Grayed out World Class only shows, the opportunity to perform in shows is limited for Open Class corps. Not to mention that DCI pays more money for World Class corps to perform. Further DCI makes Open Class pay for housing at DCI Finals but World class don't pay.. In fact I'm sure the fee the Open Class corps pay for housing at finals probably pays for the world class housing sites at some level. Fair???

For a corps who wants to perform to get a great tour and be in the big show... you have to go world..

Just my take..

Edited by Carld

I know my corps wants to eventually go World Class. Financially it's the only way to go. For the students to have a full tour and perform in as many shows as they can, they almost have to go World. With the Grayed out World Class only shows, the opportunity to perform in shows is limited for Open Class corps. Not to mention that DCI pays more money for World Class corps to perform. Further DCI makes Open Class pay for housing at DCI Finals but World class don't pay.. In fact I'm sure the fee the Open Class corps pay for housing at finals probably pays for the world class housing sites at some level. Fair???

For a corps who wants to perform to get a great tour and be in the big show... you have to go world..

Just my take..

:thumbdown:

Edited by tnmaiello

The only corps that have moved up to World Classand not folded are Blue Stars, Mandarins, and Capital Regiment and all three hada very long and very successful 2/3 career.

while not exactly folding, i think taking two years off kinda eliminates Cap Reg from your argument here....glad to see them back though

Edited by bhs alumni

Blue Stars...

1. Division I years (came in second at the first DCI)

2. Cadet corps circuit years (CCI years. Cadet Corps International for all you kiddies out there in DCP land).

The Blue Star Cadets kept the ship thriving after the big corps went pepperonis up in '82. Most of those members had family and friendship ties to the original Division I corps.

3. A/A-60, Division II and III years.

4. Return to Division I...

That's a pretty well rounded history and a great example of perseverence.

Edited by shortn'sour

Blue Stars...

1. Division I years (came in second at the first DCI)

2. Cadet corps circuit years (CCI years. Cadet Corps International for all you kiddies out there in DCP land).

The Blue Star Cadets kept the ship thriving after the big corps went pepperonis up in '82. Most of those members had family and friendship ties to the original Division I corps.

3. A/A-60, Division II and III years.

4. Return to Division I...

That's a pretty well rounded history and a great example of perseverence.

Sooo, Blue Stars are the next corps to go World Class? Oh wait, they're already there. No more plugs necessary.

Blue Knights were also a DCI class A participant. All in all, five of our current top 12 have spent time in class A/division II/III. I think that proves the viability of advancing corps well enough....and besides, we have bigger fish to fry in this thread.

The concept of expecting a corps to dominate open-class competitively before advancing to world-class is inherently silly. We might never promote anyone while waiting for that to happen....and if it does, we ruin the competitive drama of open-class in the process.

did we actually agree on something? Do we need to mark this down somewhere? Is anyone watching?