Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

Bear- You're right, it's lock and dam #6 there at Trempealeau, home of "Catfish Days", Mile 714 left descending shore, just down from Winona, ovr on the Minnesota side. I later owned a farm in Cataract, about half way between Black River Falls and Sparta before moving back to Cali.

Sorry about not making Rose Bowl, had some family health problems that forced me to pull out of the corps. The good news being that Mom is doing very well these days.

Guaranteed that we'll run across each other in the future and we'll continue that safety meeting we had in my truck the year before.

Or did we? :smile:

RON HOUSLEY

safety first...good motto to live by... I hope all is well Hous...pb

oh another cali obscure corps - Chinese Imperials....Los Angeles, CA loved the buddha trophies they would give out at their shows

safety first...good motto to live by... I hope all is well Hous...pb

oh another cali obscure corps - Chinese Imperials....Los Angeles, CA loved the buddha trophies they would give out at their shows

The Oriental Oddesy, right?

Don't forget, they used Buddhas as yard markers, too!

I don't remember the Chinese Imperials.

I rehearsed in the Imperials Senior Corps out of Culver City for awhile in late 65. Bill Lee was drum major. "Billy" taught the Los Angeles Chinese and any number of the other corps in SoCal. I don't know his history nor that of a lot of the seniors from back East who ended up teaching in California. He might have been a Madison Scout in the 50s. You guys have a short, chinese guy on your roster from back then? I think Bill passed away some years ago.

Munson Chan of Renegades mellophone fame is the real California historian of the bunch. His website has a lot of old days California stuff. http://mellom007.tripod.com/Scrapbook2001/scrapbook.html

OH WAIT! You mean the Los Angeles Chinese "Imperial Dragons!" Sorry, my bad. We used to just call them the LA Chinese. Same way with The Commodore Perry Scouts...who were known locally as the Japanese Boy Scouts.

That's why we have the safety meetings.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

St. Cosmo's Don Juans

Miraculous Medal Orbits

Oceanside Legionaires

Meridian Woodpeckers

a few more...

St. Cosmo's Don Juans

Miraculous Medal Orbits

Oceanside Legionaires

Meridian Woodpeckers

a few more...

I'm still amused and bemused why the "Shawnee Indians-- Lockport, NY" bothered to call themselves the "Shawnee" Indians when they were from "Iroqouis" country (New York). I think that has to go a long way toward making them the most obscure.

As for the Meridian Woodpeckers, they were an all-girl fife and drum corps outside of Butler. We often saw them locally in the 80s (in parades) and they were a favorite GBV giggle because of the name.

You guys are good! I didn't think anyone else would remember the Zephyrs, much less the Centralaires. I judged a bunch of these corps numerous times back in the 70's.

A few more from Wisconsin/Minn (apologies if already mentioned, and some not all that obscure):

West Bend Patriots

The West Bend Patriots were originally angling for corporate sponsorship from the Regal Corporation in Kewaskum, 8 miles north of West Bend...they were going to be the Regal Knights.

Mounties (Twin Cities)

Oshkosh Warriors

Oshkosh Warriors became the Oshkosh Marauders for a few years.

Green Bay Northmen

Belles of St. Mary's (Rhinelander)

Blue Knights (Twin Cities)

Royal Grenadiers (Iowa....somewhere)

Royal Grenadiers were from Kankakee, IL

Royal Knights? (Manitowoc?)

Staffed by some of your Kiltie Korpsmates, Bill Schultz, Dave Martinson and Tom Sorenson.

Speaking of Iowa, has anyone mentioned the Marshalltown Eye-Openers and their feeder corps the Winks??? :smile:

Speaking of Iowa, has anyone mentioned the Marshalltown Eye-Openers and their feeder corps the Winks??? :smile:

I'm also thinking the Marion Cadets had a feeder corps called the Marion Cadet Jets.