Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

What a great thread...it's really enjoyable to read about some of these corps, especially from people who were there or actually marched with one of them.

Some of the more obscure corps on the Canadian/American border scene might include;

Canadaires, Niagara Falls ON

Chessmen, St. Catharines ON

Dennis Morris Majestics, St. Catharines ON

Grantham Police Boys Band, St. Catharines ON

Merritton Buccaneers, St. Catharines ON

Cataract Cavaliers

Kinsmen Krescendos, Peterborough ON

Cambridge Cadets, Cambridge ON

Guelph Opti-Knights

Windsor Guardsmen

Sarnia Sertomanaires

Hamilton Jr. Optimists

a number of Sea Cadet corps had parade corps such as RCSCC Lion and Ajax

Detroit's Iron Brigade

Kinsmen Girls, Stoney Creek ON

and my personal favourite has always been Custers Brigade...I still have a copy of a 1965 Drum Corps Digest magazine with a picture of them titled "Uniforms For Sale"...Troopers with white stetsons!

A lot of them may have been obscure when compared with Boston, Sac, Troopers or Chicago Cavaliers but many were enjoyable to hear and watch. Lots of us got our starts with these groups and there are tons of memories involved. Thanks for the thread...

Bruce, I can add to that Southern Ontario List:

Pickering Blue Notes

Thorold Black Knights

Leaside Lions

Brantford Beltones

Trafalgar Patrolmen, and

The Hylighters (with the florescent uniforms - just kidding)

Keswick Coachmen...

Bruce, I can add to that Southern Ontario List:

Pickering Blue Notes

Thorold Black Knights

Leaside Lions

Brantford Beltones

Trafalgar Patrolmen, and

The Hylighters (with the florescent uniforms - just kidding)

Keswick Coachmen...

Hi Wendy! Is that you in the Kingsmen Alumni photo??

How about Brampton Senators, Stouffville Centurions, Markham Collegettes (all girl), Port Dalhousie Guardsmen, Stamford Guards, Welland-Crowland Lancers, Sarnia Lionettes, Woodstock Imperials, Hamilton Viscounts, and our friends along the border in New York State; the Lakeview Shoreliners, Angola Diplomats, Murray Hose Company #4 (what a great name! I used to have a t-shirt!) Albion Grenadiers, Conklin Castlemen and Tri-town and Mark Twain Cadets. Wonderful little corps that fed some of the big time junior and senior powerhouses in the area later on.

There were a whole lot of us that never got the chance to march in a "big time" drum corps or got the opportunity to compete at a top level. It could have been due to geographic location, job and family economic situation, or in my case, a severe lack of talent...but we all paid our dues in hot parades in Nowhere NY or Red Rock Ontario or on an obscure field on a humid Saturday night with our friends. Really good times.

The Clippers competed against the Princemen and the Hurricanes. I have a tape of them as well as a program from one of their contests. They were actually pretty good and lasted for a number of years. The Esso Statesmen became the Everett Statesmen, and produced many folks that later performed with better known corps. ("Cupcakes" John Curran from the Hurricanes)

How about the Tewksbury Orbiteers, and some of the Yankee Circuit corps like the Lithuanian War Vets, the Charter Oak Sabers, the Claremont Cavaliers, and the Auburn Noteables. The Braintree Braves in their later years would sometimes compete with one horn, two drums, and a guard of 2 or 3.

I thought it was unique that an oil company would sponsor a drum corps ( of course ESSO is now EXXON ) I'm wondering if the Lithuanian war vets were from S,Boston/Dorchester, because there was a large senior corps from that area . The Polish -American vets post. I may be remembering wrong, perhaps they were the Lituanian corps, because that area had a huge Lithuanian/American population?

Another very good Div one corps that competed against Kevins, the Crusaders,St Rose, Cambridge Caballeros, and Braintree Warriors (gold horns) were the Andrews Sabres from Portland, Maine.... Harold Andrews Post

During my time with a local-circuit junior corps in New Jersey, we would see corps at the NJ VFW and American Legion state championships that we rarely, if ever, saw anywhere else. Corps like the Shadettes, Broadcasters, Sea Horse Lancers, etc.

Fran

My apologies for getting here a little late. Just started reading this thread....

1969 Shadettes, Maple Shade, NJ... (from corpsreps) :thumbup:

1969theshadettesfrommap.th.jpg

Charisma

The Jeannettes from Lynn and Socialites from Saugus were bitter all-girl rivals.

They merged after the '78 season and came out in '79 with a huge corps and lots of potential but never even finished the season.

I remember a loose yellow top, black skirt, black boots and maybe a floppy black hat with an orange and yellow tie.

Rus,

Having marched in the "all male" Corps from Lynn MA (Continentals) I remember fondly the Jeanettes. :thumbup: (If memory serves, Pepe Notaro was teaching their horn line when I was in the Continentals)

The Jeanettes, Lynn Mass (Oct '68 parade, passing by the front of my house in Lynn MA. My mother took this photo...)

thejeanetteslynnmass210.th.jpg

I think they merged around 1976... (I could have this year wrong though)

jeanetteslynnma1976ithi.th.jpg

In the northeast... old eastern mass circuit Div II

Others Peabody Clippers (Peabody, Mass) Les Musketeers ( Berlin, N.H.)

Peabody Clippers. Photo from Charlie J (oldohiodrumcorps)

clipperspeabodymacharlic.th.jpg

These guys and girls:

marching-band.jpg

:thumbup:

These guys and girls:

marching-band.jpg

:thumbup:

The Papa Docs?!

Puppet

A lot of members from Trumbell now march with Park City Pride

Ray Fallon marched Oceanside Legionaires

I may be wrong, but I think Ray and his brother "Bucky" Fallon marched St. Rita's, too.

My very first corps was an off shoot from the great St. Catherine Of Sienna Queensmen and the Marionettes all girls. The Queenaires - like many corps from Queens, NY were very obscure.

Puppet