Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

Add...

'49ers: Tilton NH

Oklahoma Cadets

And who was that young parade corps in the movie "Sesame Street: Follow That Bird"? [1985]

I believe the corps in the movie was St. John's Girls from Brantford ON. If I recall properly, a lot of the exterior shots were done in Georgetown, Ontario due to the architecture of the main street suiting the movie. As a young cop I did a couple "specials" or "paid duties" during filming and got to eat lunch with the cast and crew! Great fun.

Our Lady of Perpetual Motion All-Girls Corps

And where were they from? We had an O.L.P.H. (The Ridgemen) from Brooklyn - but they weren't All-Girls. This was mid sixties, early seventies.

Puppet

Just remembered: We used to call them: "Oh Lord Please Help!"

Edited by Puppet

That was just a joke!

And where were they from? We had an O.L.P.H. (The Ridgemen) from Brooklyn - but they weren't All-Girls. This was mid sixties, early seventies.

Puppet

Just remembered: We used to call them: "Oh Lord Please Help!"

That was just a joke!

(Tongue in cheek) Yes, Keith. A joke. Kept us laughing season after season.

But back to my original question: Where did the O.L.P.H. All Girls march?

Huh?

Puppet

Here's one for you - The Babylon Islanders.

They were sponsored by the Seven-Up Bottling Company and were affiliated with the Babylon VFW Post 2192.

The corps’ colors were green, orange, and white with flesh-colored gloves (to match the 7-Up colors) Really!

http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=pi...orpstype=Junior

Puppet

Puppet,

Islanders had a terric drum line taught by (I believe) Don Freising, and had such future superstars as Johnny Oddo playing in the line. What I remember them for is arguably the greatest contra bass solo in drum corps history, a tune called "Heartaches" with a player named George Dubord (?sp? - sorry George).

If there's a recording of this, I defy you to tell me you've heard better, at any level!!!

Horn genius Hy Dreitzer did the charts.

How about the Troopers. Anybody remember them? No, not Casper, Bridgeport.

I marched in the Eau Claire Boys in the late 60's and we competed in what I remember being called the "northern circuit" which was basically northern Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Some of the "more obscure" corps I remember are:

The Blue Notes, Ishpeming, Mi

Brass Regiment, Park Falls, Wi

Mountaineers, Ontonogan, Mi

Northernaires, Menominee, Mi

Silver Echoes. Munising, Mi

Bells of St. Marys, Rhinelander, Wi

Others off the top of my head from "down south" near Milwaukee were

The Windjammers, Port Washington, Wi

St. Mathias, Milw

Shoreliners, Kenosha, Wi

Queensmen, Kenosha, Wi

I believe the only representation from this list on DCP I remember seeing is someone from the Northernaires.

If there are any Eau Claire Boys out there June 20th there will be a reunion in E.C. followed by a show Sunday night the 21st at UW Stout.

It's funny what is obscure for some is not for someone else. I played and taught Eau Claire Boys in the early 1960's and arranged for the Northernaires a bit later.

St Matthias with 2 t's. :)

Puppet,

Islanders had a terric drum line taught by (I believe) Don Freising, and had such future superstars as Johnny Oddo playing in the line. What I remember them for is arguably the greatest contra bass solo in drum corps history, a tune called "Heartaches" with a player named George Dubord (?sp? - sorry George).

If there's a recording of this, I defy you to tell me you've heard better, at any level!!!

Horn genius Hy Dreitzer did the charts.

Sure, you're right Ray. In 1965 & '66 they practically owned the Long Island Circuit if I remember correctly.

It seemed to me they just dropped off the map in 1967.

John Oddo and Jimmy Drost came over to St. Joseph Patron Cadets I think in 1968.

I should have mentioned that it was the uniforms that were weird to me - 7Up colors, flesh colored gloves.

I found this story on NanciD's fantastic blog:

http://historical-drum-corps-publications....h-straight.html

Puppet

How about the Troopers. Anybody remember them? No, not Casper, Bridgeport.

Ah yes ... famous for performing The Bunny Hop ... hmmm ... dance in Drum Corps ... who woulda thunk it would still be popular 50 years later ... HAHA ...

Andy "not the Roo" Lisko

Love this thread, it brought back some great memories! Heres my .02 worth:

Silver Spectrum

Continental Ambassadors

Spirit of St. Louis

Mirage

Decorah Kilties

By the way, I marched with the Ottawa Crusaders, one of the many small midwest corps back in the day!