Most obscure corps you ever saw/competed against

That would be The Dusseldoff Fanfarenkorps, in the 1964 Columbus Day Parade on 5th Avenue in NYC. They were appearing at the German Pavilion at the World's Fair.

They performed on natural valveless horns and Renaissance drums, and featured a color guard who threw weighted banners higher than you can imagine, in a strong wind. They positively rocked.

If I remember correctly, these guys did an exhibition at the Daily News contest in May of 1964. Sun was there, right?

http://www.fanfarencorps-radschlaeger.de/

Edited by gsksun4

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's obscure for you: Corps X

In 88, we had been operating The Knights of Noble Callahan (Noble Callahan, for short), out of Troy, NY for three and a half years. Some progress, (a judge in 86 commented that he "could tell what we were playing this year" :angry: ) but mostly just struggling along.

We jettesoned half of the Administration in August of that year (who promptly walked away with half the horns and all the drums and guard equipment).

Through the kindness of the late Brent Farnsworth, and the inactive Fort Edward Vagabonds, we were able to borrow equipment and take what was left of the corps to DCA prelims.

The former Director of the corps loudly protested our right to compete, or to use the corps name. So.... we were announced as "Corps X".

We didn't place last, and survived the "Schism of 88", as coined at the time by Steve Anderman. The corps was renamed Capitol Brass Ensemble over the winter and managed to put out a corps 20 points better in 1989.

At DCA 88, We were referred to on the sheets as "The Knights". And, for years after that, various drum corps score archives listed our entry as the "Hamiton Knights" (a Maryland corps that was inactive at the time). But it was us.... Corps X!

Edited by brassomaniac

Two all-black corps who had some great horn players:

Carver Gay Blades, from Newark, NJ, as I recall.

Lincoln Invaders, from South Philly. Some of these horns ended up in Archie & Reading in the '70s.

Two all-black corps who had some great horn players:

Carver Gay Blades, from Newark, NJ, as I recall.

Lincoln Invaders, from South Philly. Some of these horns ended up in Archie & Reading in the '70s.

Carver was far from obscure ... a powerful force in the Northeast and Interstate Circuits ... very innovative drill moves and a very pleasing horn line ... many from Carver went onto play with Ballentine and then Sky ... always a crowd favorite wherever they performed ...

:-)

I'm waiting for Fran to mention the "Ski Mask Cadets".... :blink: (they even had a public performance!)

:angry::angry::tongue::worthy:

Although I'm not quite sure the corps' one appearance in the spring of 1981 could be described as a "performance." LOL

Some day....Ski Mask will return. Once the statute of limitations has expired. :sad:

fran

Edited by Fran Haring

LOL couldn't resist Steve. Hell even have a OBF pin in my collection.....

Man even left off all the corps I saw at DCA Prelims at Allentown (used to drive to Prelims only then go home for dinner):

Pine Tree Warriors/Maines Marching Ambassadors

WooHoo!!

mdabc (Yahoo group) has a 10/23/1965 DCW photo of them on their home page... :smile:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mainedrumandbuglecorps/

:smile::smile::thumbup::thumbup:

Although I'm not quite sure the corps' one appearance in the spring of 1981 could be described as a "performance." LOL

Considering our 1980 season..... :shutup: (I'd call the Ski Mask Cadets 1981 appearance as a performance...LOL)

....Ski Mask will return. Once the statute of limitations has expired. :tongue:

fran

WOOHOO!! Looking forward to that! :thumbup: (hoping to live that long...hehe)

Post 11 from Douglas, Arizona. Saw them at 62 American Legion Nationals in Las Vegas....along with

Goldenaires from Durango, CO and

The Golden Kernals from LeMars, IA and the

Dukes of Albuquerque, NM.

Truth be know, I was only 14 and all I really remember was Hawthorne....and the Hamm's Indians.

RON HOUSLEY

many from Carver went onto play with Ballentine and then Sky ...

And some went to the Sunrisers, including Gene Bennett. The rest, as they say, is history!!!!!

Fran

Standy mentioning "The Lindenaires" reminds me of a whole array of small corps that used to compete on Long Island. The Lindenaires (from Lindenhurst L.I., not Lyndhurst N.J.) were one of the better-known small corps.

The Selden Golden Lancers were the biggest, nationally-known corps of their day, the St. Ignatius Girls were well-known All-girl champions, and the Long Island Kingsmen were a big corps later on, but how many know about or remember such names as: the Holbrook Skylarks, the Sayville Blue Jays (still around as a parade corps), the Oceanside Legionnaires, the Smithtown Freelancers, the Babylon Islanders, the Farmingdale Vanguards, the St. James Saints, Eastern Excelsior, or St. John's of Riverhead?

I know several people who were members of some of these corps who went on to march with the Sunrisers, Cabs and Skyliners, to name a few. Folks outside of Long Island or the NY metro area probably never heard of most of these corps.

About half of the corps you mentioned were in the Greater NY Circuit in the late '60's and early '70's.