How could we forget Mumbobalo????

DA

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine Doug... just getting old... glad to see your name

I pre-date Rudy sch"Muck's"

I used a Bel-Air - basically a hunk of metal with a very small hole in it...

You could play High

You could play Long

You could keep the big mother cushion from bouncing all over your face with a high leg lift

Tone quality? I claim my 5th amendment rights not to incriminate myself

How about Gypsy Brass? Was that Carl Vuolo?

yeah... that was one of Carl's operations...

He probably needed an operation after that...I think Murray Hose could beat those guys. Cooley have that horn line? LOL...

Also looking for my pictures of the Booma American Legion Post of Portsmith, NH. The post had a corps named the "Booma Bombers" but no idea if they were Senior or Junior. Andyroo thinks they were a parade corps but he's the only one who heard of the name. Went ot Portsmith for work and later vacation and had to get shots of the Post. :tongue:

Jim, I remember the Booma Bombers from Portsmouth. They were a senior competitive corps. I saw them once in a Portland, Maine parade. I was in a junior corps called the Scarlet Cadets from Lewiston, Me. Booma used to compete against the Bath Buccaneers from Bath, Me. We competed against the Portland Sabres, Katadin Rangers, and the Spartan from Nashua.

Man even left off all the corps I saw at DCA Prelims at Allentown (used to drive to Prelims only then go home for dinner):

Pine Tree Warriors/Maines Marching Ambassadors

I was also a member of the Pine Tree Warriors in 1963. But the most obscure group I was a member of was a snowshoe club called "Les Montagnard". We marched with straight "G" bugles during winter festivals in Maine wearing snowshoes.

Hey John ... the list of corps you cited is what I consider second generation GYNC ... considering a generation might last 3-5 years ... the first generation (58-64) would have included St. Catherine's Queesmen and Marionettes, St. Raphael's, Wynn Center, Our Lady of Lourdes, Blue Rock, Dumont, New Britain Grenadiers, Bronx Kingsmen, OLPH, St. Ann's Loyalaires, Barringer Walker, Oakland Rangers, SI Lawmen, Regimental Cadets, Smithtown Freelancers, Lindenaires and a few more ... the second generation (post 65) would have been Milford Shoreliners, SI T-Birds, St. Joe's Patron, Minisink Warriors, Norwalk Hot Shots, Babylon Islanders and more ... instructors also included other icons such as Wes Myers, Bobby Peterson, Joe Tucker, Left Patrakis, Bobby Winslow, Pepe Notaro, Joe Genero, George Lopez and a host of others ... Havey Berish (Kingsmen, Midshipmen, Knickerbockers) had a column in DCN that routinely featured GNYC corps ... and Moe Knox was roaming the sidelines of GNYC shows taking his historic pics ... GNYC was a wonderful breeding ground for many, many DC greats ...

:-)

Andy, John,

Another local circuit that was a pretty decent breeding ground for developing talent was the Garden State Circuit (Johnny Grass, Matt Dennison, etc., etc.).

I remember competing against 3 all-girl corps in that circuit, including the Pompton Lakes Stardusters (unis a bit like Audobon, in pink and white :tongue: ), the Paramus Mountettes , and the Corvettes (my vote for one of the most obscure corps ever), who featured a very small horn line, but marched a contra bass, in '65!

Fav corps from that circuit were the Manhattanaires (another fine black corps), Lakeland Goldenaires and C&W Townsmen...

(Fran mentioned Manville Crusaders on this thread. I remember competing against them when they still had the Church affiliation... Sacred Heart... Bobby Vivalo, mello buddy from BSGK, started out there.)

Bill Moore

Edited by billm

But the most obscure group I was a member of was a snowshoe club called "Les Montagnard". We marched with straight "G" bugles during winter festivals in Maine wearing snowshoes.

Dick, this gets my vote for Most Obscure Corps ever!!!!! :tongue:

Fran

(Fran mentioned Manville Crusaders on this thread. I remember competing against them when they still had the Church affiliation... Sacred Heart... Bobby Vivalo, mello buddy from BSGK, started out there.)

Bob was there in 1973, my third year with Sacred Heart....he had marched there earlier, then I think took a year or so off before returning in '73. We had a pretty strong mellophone line that year. The French horn line wasn't too shabby, either! :tongue:

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Dick, this gets my vote for Most Obscure Corps ever!!!!! :huh:

Fran

"Obscure To Non Existant":

The Burdett "Golden Zippers" may, and then may NOT have been the "Most Obscure". Several letters from a member of the "Zips" surfaced in DC News back in the 1960s. The corps was suppsoed to have been sponsored by the Burdett Zipper Company. The "Corps", like I said may have been another "Fresno Ferns" type "Creation". :rolleyes:

Anybody out there ever heard of or remember this? :doh:

Elphaba