Marching Trombones

Best Dog-goned Band in the Land. or something like that.

Probably the best traditional style marching band ever.

TBDBITL.

The Best Dam* Band In The Land. They used Eb alto horns, which are now replaced my mellophones. They still use Eb cornets. It was a big deal back in the 70's when trombones were added and an even bigger deal when the band went coed.

As for the trombonium, here is a pic from the old Dynasty collection. The horn is to the immediate left of the contrabass. The tubing stuck out the BACK of the horn and this style is still used by some horn makers. Other than a thinner sound and a lighter horn, a trombonium would not make that much difference, unless your marched a large group of them.

dynasty84.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in a jazzy piece, they could be switched out, but for that big fat symphonic brass sound, we need some baris... So, sometimes, yea, when the trombone sound is specifically called upon. I like to listen to the BD 79 solo on a g marching trombone bugle thing...

What do you guys think of this (the trombone usage I mean, not the other features that are likely to cause revulsion among DCI fans):

If it sounds familiar, it's the original version of the Cadets' Round Four from 2008, I think. Here's a similar trombone feature by the same band the next year:

For a big fat symphonic brass sound, we need baritones? ... Gee, I hope someone tells all of the orchestras out there about this.. :cool:

find me an orchestra full of teenagers running around at 200 bpm. >.>

I think in a jazzy piece, they could be switched out, but for that big fat symphonic brass sound, we need some baris... So, sometimes, yea, when the trombone sound is specifically called upon. I like to listen to the BD 79 solo on a g marching trombone bugle thing...
Madison did use them in at least 1979 if its not that its very close i remember seeing them during Bohemian rapsody

tromboniums.jpg

Exactly the type of chart the Scouts wre playing 78-80.

For a big fat symphonic brass sound, we need baritones? ... Gee, I hope someone tells all of the orchestras out there about this.. :cool:

I was thinking the same thing. LOL We baritone and euphonium players would love that!

You see, the reason that the "big, fat, symphonic sound" can work with a trombone section is largely because the "big, fat, symphonic" trombone is much larger than your average trombonium. The trombonium as an instrument is generally more akin to a pea shooter than a symphony bore trombone in my experience (though I cannot speak for all models of the instrument), making the tone generally brighter, and more "marching bandy".