Drum Corps As It Was

Are you trying to say that if Cadets 2000 or SCV 1999 shows were on the field today, no band kid in 2009 would say "that's incredible, I want to be part of that!"

Is that what you're saying?

All I will say to that is that if it's good and it's executed well, anybody would say: "That's incredible, I want to be part of that!"

And I would like to direct the folks on this thread to something that perhaps everyone who has marched from 1976 on should probably hear: Frank Dorritie's new work.

Check it - he's very concise and oh yeah listen to the crowds in the stands.

It's in the Topic - New "Off the Record" feature-Legends of the One-Valve Bugle

And I hear there's more to come.

History - gotta love it

Puppet

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I will say to that is that if it's good and it's executed well, anybody would say: "That's incredible, I want to be part of that!"

And I would like to direct the folks on this thread to something that perhaps everyone who has marched from 1976 on should probably hear: Frank Dorritie's new work.

Check it - he's very concise and oh yeah listen to the crowds in the stands.

It's in the Topic - New "Off the Record" feature-Legends of the One-Valve Bugle

And I hear there's more to come.

History - gotta love it

Puppet

If you mean any era would pull the kids, as much as I'm an old fart, Puppet, I hate to say it but I have to disagree for the following reason.

I still want one more year of marching. I tried a couple of years ago at Crusaders. Loved the corps, loved the show, loved the people. Between the travel and some other stresses I became really ill and had to quit in late March. It really broke me up. I'm still not 100% in the health department but the "one more year" itch is still there....

So I started to think - alumni corps. Easier schedule - there's a couple in easy reach - no 3 hour drive to Rachacha - yeah, that could work.

Now with no disrespect intended to alumni corps, because they are great at what they do, some of them are pretty far back there in the approach. Sometimes in the '60s or so. That's what they want to do, and that's great for them, but I'd want to see them come into the '80s or so before I got motivated to join.

So - long story to say I'm not convinced all eras, no matter how well executed, would pull in today's kids when it can't pull an old geezer like me.

Profound apologies to all alumni corps members - this was in no way meant to offend or insult you. It's just my personal tastes...

Edited by kusankusho

Hi ~ I'm a member of the Bridgemen so I know exactly what you mean about the various alumni corps. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for closer to you. We don't have the teleporter to Bayonne up and functional yet, unfortunately for you. :smile:

If you mean any era would pull the kids, as much as I'm an old fart, Puppet, I hate to say it but I have to disagree for the following reason.

I still want one more year of marching. I tried a couple of years ago at Crusaders. Loved the corps, loved the show, loved the people. Between the travel and some other stresses I became really ill and had to quit in late March. It really broke me up. I'm still not 100% in the health department but the "one more year" itch is still there....

So I started to think - alumni corps. Easier schedule - there's a couple in easy reach - no 3 hour drive to Rachacha - yeah, that could work.

Now with no disrespect intended to alumni corps, because they are great at what they do, some of them are pretty far back there in the approach. Sometimes in the '60s or so. That's what they want to do, and that's great for them, but I'd want to see them come into the '80s or so before I got motivated to join.

So - long story to say I'm not convinced all eras, no matter how well executed, would pull in today's kids when it can't pull an old geezer like me.

Profound apologies to all alumni corps members - this was in no way meant to offend or insult you. It's just my personal tastes...

I'm not calling for a complete reversion to the past - never had. Whenever I hark back I can hear the sound of Madison versus SCV or Anaheim, Kilties - they all had different styles of march, too - individual gimmicks if you will.

The only change I have not liked (aside from the dancing, the electrification of the Pit - I never even minded the pit all that much - of course they give the horns chairs and I will kill someone!) is the homogenization of the activity.

BTW, I'M over 60 now marching days are way over.

Puppet

although I HATE, HATE to say it, it's the CURRENT generation marching CURRENTLY in drum corps who's opinion matters GREATLY more than our own.

Whether we like it or not, if we stayed single valve, marching tymp symmetrical drill old style marching and sound drum corps would PROBABLY no longer exist, or exist in some barely alive exhibitional regional fashion.

So, whether we LIKE the changes/innovation of the new generation, it IS the new generation to whom things really matter.

For those of us who REALLY wanna go old school, there's the alumni exhibition at DCA. Can't ask for a better throwback machine than that!

True enough. S

- edited -

Edited by jdostie

Hi ~ I'm a member of the Bridgemen so I know exactly what you mean about the various alumni corps. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking for closer to you. We don't have the teleporter to Bayonne up and functional yet, unfortunately for you. :smile:

Let me know when you do - I could definitely stand playing bass for Bridgemen!