Drum Corps As It Was

although I HATE, HATE to say it, it's the CURRENT generation marching CURRENTLY in drum corps who's opinion matters GREATLY more than our own.

Not entirely true. The opinion of the people who pay to go, or decide not to go anymore, matters a great deal, especially in hard economic times.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although I HATE, HATE to say it, it's the CURRENT generation marching CURRENTLY in drum corps who's opinion matters GREATLY more than our own.

Whether we like it or not, if we stayed single valve, marching tymp symmetrical drill old style marching and sound drum corps would PROBABLY no longer exist, or exist in some barely alive exhibitional regional fashion.

So, whether we LIKE the changes/innovation of the new generation, it IS the new generation to whom things really matter.

For those of us who REALLY wanna go old school, there's the alumni exhibition at DCA. Can't ask for a better throwback machine than that!

And here's where I really do not get on board.

The changes were not bad - they were just changes.

Unless current DC marchers know the history of the activity, they will not know where they are going with it.

I think DCI does not want them to know and I think that is sad.

Puppet

Unless current DC marchers know the history of the activity, they will not know where they are going with it.

Puppet

oh i 1,000 percent agree there is NO way these kids can turn their back on their heritage.......I love EACH and EVERY era of corps I've been exposed to, and appreciate them all for what they were and when they took place.

Having said that, I wouldn't have wanted to march with a piston rotor horn........so the advances of MY era were appropriate for me and MY generation. But NEVER should the CURRENT generation ignore or disappreciate where they came from......for without OUR time, they wouldn't have one!

Excellent post Puppet.

OK I lied if I had a TIME MACHINE, I would have loved to go back, and march piston rotor, and dd symmetrical drill, wear long hair and a beard LOL!

I would have been more inclined to agree with this statement had I not seen this link in World Class discussions:

Preserving the Legacy: Announcing the Drum Corps Collectors & Historical Society

Having said that, I wouldn't have wanted to march with a piston rotor horn........so the advances of MY era were appropriate for me and MY generation.

I marched with a snare on a sling and a leg rest. The first corps we had them so low the drum banged off your knee if you didn't know what you were doing. Second corps not too bad, but when I practiced with Dutch Boy for a while in '76 the leg rest was so far up your crotch the results were - uh - nearly catastrophic.

Thank God for the invention of snare harnesses..... :rolleyes:

Agree to a point but I've yet to see any info that the changes in the last few years have made a real difference in weather(sp!) younger folks would march corps or not. Judging from the posts I've seen here it's either made no difference one way or the other or "I don't really like it, but putting up with <whatever> beats staying home. Have yet to read "if corps did not have amps, vocals or etc... I would not have joined". IOW, the idea of DC having to use amps, vocals, electronics in order to survive has not been proven to me.

Oh yeah, I like having a 3V horn so I can play all the notes (and our horn instructor likes having the whole chromatic scale to work with). Just too bad it looks like a #### MB horn.

I would have been more inclined to agree with this statement had I not seen this link in World Class discussions:

Preserving the Legacy: Announcing the Drum Corps Collectors & Historical Society

Thanks for the heads up Rich as this interests me very much and don't really check the DCI site.

Interests me Hell.... I have two of the three DC "Manuals" in the first picture. :huh: And the bottom pic of BD made me laugh as we bought those unis in '76. If the flag hadn't been there I'd think it was a shot of Westshore with me in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up Rich as this interests me very much and don't really check the DCI site.

Interests me Hell.... I have two of the three DC "Manuals" in the first picture. :huh: And the bottom pic of BD made me laugh as we bought those unis in '76. If the flag hadn't been there I'd think it was a shot of Westshore with me in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

Whoa.....you learn something every day!

WESTSHORE bought those pre 76 Devs unis?? Wow! By the way, one of my new favorite old Devils shows IS 1975, you can hear what in my opinion is the birth of the trademark Blue Devils sound, by a corps wearing....well, non Devil unis (to people of MY generation)

LOVED BD 75........and will be tripping on Westshore's inheritance of the old BD uni for a long time to come LOLOL

Whoa.....you learn something every day!

WESTSHORE bought those pre 76 Devs unis?? Wow! By the way, one of my new favorite old Devils shows IS 1975, you can hear what in my opinion is the birth of the trademark Blue Devils sound, by a corps wearing....well, non Devil unis (to people of MY generation)

LOVED BD 75........and will be tripping on Westshore's inheritance of the old BD uni for a long time to come LOLOL

Ohhh it gets weirder..... Guessing BD didn't sell the shakos as Westshore used the same ones that had been in use sine the 1960s. Only difference was because the pearl color faded into difference shades of God Knows what, all shakos were spray painted (aka Kryloned) flat black. BDs black shakos looked kinda shiney but ours were flat black. Only other uni difference was Westshore replaced the white with red line stripe on the pants with a plain white one. We used those unis from 1976-1978 during which time we (finally) became a Top 10 member of DCA and won 1978 AL Championships so the magic must have still been in them.

Loved 1975 BD as saw them live day after DCI at Hershey, PA. (Wrong year - it was 1976) Also watched 1975 DCI on a bus trip to a 4th of July parade in 2008. Great seeing the show again but those unis started kicking in the flashbacks. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, BD was also at the day after DCI show at Hershey in 1976. Westshoremen sponsored those shows (great $$$$ maker, BTW) and we did a pre-show exhibition. We were warming up dressed in the old BD unis and one of the BD members was running by for some reason (guess he was late). Guy looked over and just STOPPED dead in his tracks. --> :doh::huh:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari