Lean back?

josh161

Myself and a couple of corps friends have been having a bit of an argument on the effects of trumpet players that lean back when they play higher notes. We have all seen the scream sops that practically break their backs and rest their heads on the field when playing. Is there anyone who has any knowledge of the effects good or bad of "leaning back"?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaning back isn't supposed to effect your playing. From what I've seen, people just do it to look cool. I remember somebody telling me that when Maynard first started playing trumpet, he didn't lean back or do any of that crazy stuff, but he was still hitting all the notes just as well, but then somebody suggested that he start doing that just so it looked like he was putting a lot of effort into it. Seriously, I think it's usually just done for show.

Leaning back isn't supposed to effect your playing. From what I've seen, people just do it to look cool. I remember somebody telling me that when Maynard first started playing trumpet, he didn't lean back or do any of that crazy stuff, but he was still hitting all the notes just as well, but then somebody suggested that he start doing that just so it looked like he was putting a lot of effort into it. Seriously, I think it's usually just done for show.

Definitely looks cooler than leaning forward.

:angry:

Definitely looks cooler than leaning forward.

:angry:

Yah , I second that . Saw Myles Davis at Newport Jazz once .He not only leaned forward ,but faced away from the crowd ! Not cool . He could play though .....

Mike D.

Yah , I second that . Saw Myles Davis at Newport Jazz once .He not only leaned forward ,but faced away from the crowd ! Not cool . He could play though .....

Mike D.

I wonder if anyone in drum corps history has fallen over backwards while soloing like that?

I've seen it happen in a stage band,,,

The rational i have heard for leaning back is that it puts tension in your abs and diaphragm that allows you to push air better. Is this accurate?

Not that I ever noticed over the years...I didn't feel any particular help from the "body english."

I wonder, however, if there IS a real effect, but it's more in the mind than the lips...if you're in a "rock out" section of the program (Cavies in "Niagra Falls," for example) that mental/emotional push could translate into a more energetic performance, even if it does nothing on the technical proficiency side.

If anything, it's going to make playing harder since you're putting all this energy and tension into your body and taking energy away from your playing. Most of the time I see corps doing it these days, though, it's done in a way that provides the look without all the unnecessary tension.

The person that told you that was a Idiot.

Hear it from the man himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXHuxqCfvMQ

Edited by camel lips